Rumor: Apple reportedly looking to Samsung for thin glass LCDs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    geekdad wrote: »
    ...you could say the same thing about the iPhone...it has Samsung, LG, Sharp technology utilized by Apple.

And if Samsung technology was being isolated and tested then I would say to someone that stated it was an Apple technology that they are incorrect. We've seen it with Qualcomm components that Apple has simply gotten their hands on first. It's still Qualcomm's technology, not Apple's. No where in the video did he scratch the plastic casing or bezel or anything else that Samsung could possibly get credit for the technology hence my comment that the video is about Corning's technology that happens to be licensed and utilized on a Samsung product but is not a Samsung technology.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Transparent Aluminum has been technically doable for over 15 years. I first read about it (I believe) in Discover magazine, circa 1995. The inventor created transparent china (I believe) back then by creating the material by laying atom by atom and layer by layer. The item formed was one giant crystal that was transparent and not brittle. A china plate made like this wouldn't break if dropped. Materials break along crystal boundaries so if the entire material is just one crystal it's almost unbreakable. The process is probably way to expensive, but I would like to see it done at least once.
  • Reply 23 of 32

Transparent aluminum has been used in industry for decades. It's called sapphire. :)

• Reply 24 of 32
    They should go with Sharp!
  • Reply 25 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Gorilla Glass sits on top of the LCD screen which also has a layer of glass. The 2 are not one and the same.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Why cant Corning supply that as well.....
  • Reply 27 of 32
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

First off the phone was a Galaxy S4....wake screen said "Life Companion" which comes default on the S4 not the S3. He even says it in the video....

The video displayed the S4......that was enough for me. Here is the link to the YouTube video where it says "

Samsung Galaxy sIV Scratch Test (Knives, Keys, Pennies)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DOW_IuZQ-5E#!

To your highlighted comment....you could say the same thing about the iPhone...it has Samsung, LG, Sharp technology utilized by Apple.

Nice demonstration of Corning's Gorilla glass, do you have another clip which show's Qualcomm's processor being put through it's paces, you know the 1.9GHz one the LTE version of the S4 uses?

• Reply 28 of 32
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Transparent Aluminum has been technically doable for over 15 years. I first read about it (I believe) in Discover magazine, circa 1995. The inventor created transparent china (I believe) back then by creating the material by laying atom by atom and layer by layer. The item formed was one giant crystal that was transparent and not brittle. A china plate made like this wouldn't break if dropped. Materials break along crystal boundaries so if the entire material is just one crystal it's almost unbreakable. The process is probably way to expensive, but I would like to see it done at least once.

Transparent aluminum has been used in industry for decades. It's called sapphire. :)

Wrong. Sapphire is aluminum oxide, not aluminum.

Even a pure, single crystal of aluminum would not be transparent, at least not under ambient conditions (I think I read somewhere that it becomes transparent under very high pressures and/or temperatures, but don't care enough to look it up).
  • Reply 29 of 32
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    If true, this cooperation is good news. In the last year or so, Apple's attitude toward Samsung has had me wondering if we'd end up with second rate products because the best supplier was Samsung.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

"We've always been at war with Eastasia!"

Oops. No, wait.  That could be going down the memory hole.

• Reply 31 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

"We've always been at war with Eastasia!"

Oops. No, wait.  That could be going down the memory hole.

Oh, shut up.

• Reply 32 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Prepare for The Diamond Age.