WWDC 2013

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

A thread for a summary of the expectations/rumors for the WWDC.

MacPro

Tim Cook said in the fall of last year that something great was coming.  As this model has been a long time coming, I think there will be enough of a remake to permit a presentation at WWDC.

iMac

Just redone so no.

Mac mini

Possibly something here.

OSX 

The future outlook.

iOS

Tim just said they were going to present the new version.

iPad

Possible.

iPhone

Possible.

What does everybody think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 131
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Good man; starting this thread.

1. I think the 'general hardware' will get updates if suppliers like Intel have something new to offer, as they have done so many times.

2. The new Mac Pro. First I thought they could easily create a whole separate event for it, but that might have reporters focus too much on it. Perhaps it is better to either simply have it pop up on their website/store or indeed show it during the WWDC week, or main event on the 10th. But if they don't, Cook said 2013 so anything is possible.

3. I really would like for them to update Aperture. I have enjoyed all the things we've gained (for free!) since version 3.0 from Feb 2010, but I have a whole plethora of requests. (supposedly Adobe's LR is marching on with innovations, but I've never took the time if that is the case, and if it's more 'advanced/feature rich as Aperture)

4. Looking at Apple for the past few years, say 2 or 3, it looks to me they keep on focusing on the iPhone. No doubt they've invested most resources on the whole 'user experience', with the main focus on software.
  • Reply 2 of 131
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    A thread for a summary of the expectations/rumors for the WWDC.
    Cool

MacPro
    Tim Cook said in the fall of last year that something great was coming.  As this model has been a long time coming, I think there will be enough of a remake to permit a presentation at WWDC.
    I'm expecting the Mac Pro or its replacement at WWDC. I'm not sure if Intel has anything to go into it but the quickly vanishing user base will be up in arms if they have to wait any longer.
    iMac
    Just redone so no.
    If Haswell is ready the iMac gets updated. It happens every year except when there is a technology hold up.
    Mac mini
    Possibly something here.
    I still haven't decided if the Mini or the Mac Pro will become the USA built machine but Apple will make hay over which ever machine it is.
    OSX 
    The future outlook.
    I'm expecting a larger update than in the past couple of years.
    iOS
    Tim just said they were going to present the new version.
    An interesting version I do hope.
    iPad
    Possible.
    Actually I think not.
    iPhone
    Possible.
    Yes! The problem is once they reveal all the new iOS features at WWDC sales will tank until the new hardware to support those features arrive. They may offer a partial release that hides things tied to new hardware as they have done in the past. In the end I can't see Apple letting the iPhone sit for a few moths after the WWDC announcements.
    What does everybody think?
    In my dreams the original iPad comes later this year with a sixty four bit processor, 2GB of RAM (maybe 4GB), and a tripling of flash at each node. Otherwise iPad needs an improved iOS.

As to iOS I don't care one way or the other about flatness, what I do care about is real improvements to the included apps. Feature parity is mandatory. Further Apple needs to do something about file access so that apps are consistent. Then we need a mountable common storage area that each app can access through the same standard file browser. So far nothing Apple has done has really rocked my boat with respect to file sharing and management, iOS currently sucks in this respect.
  • Reply 3 of 131
    philboogie wrote: »
    Good man; starting this thread.

1. I think the 'general hardware' will get updates if suppliers like Intel have something new to offer, as they have done so many times.
    Intels big Haswell reveal happens right before WWDC so if the chips are shipping expect lots of updates to Apples machines. The big problem is that apparently not everything will be released next week.
    2. The new Mac Pro. First I thought they could easily create a whole separate event for it, but that might have reporters focus too much on it. Perhaps it is better to either simply have it pop up on their website/store or indeed show it during the WWDC week, or main event on the 10th. But if they don't, Cook said 2013 so anything is possible.
    WWDC attracts the type of people that would be interested in the new Mac Pro. So WWDC is the best place to reveal the machine. The big question is this, is everything ready for the Mac Pro replacement.
    3. I really would like for them to update Aperture. I have enjoyed all the things we've gained (for free!) since version 3.0 from Feb 2010, but I have a whole plethora of requests. (supposedly Adobe's LR is marching on with innovations, but I've never took the time if that is the case, and if it's more 'advanced/feature rich as Aperture)

4. Looking at Apple for the past few years, say 2 or 3, it looks to me they keep on focusing on the iPhone. No doubt they've invested most resources on the whole 'user experience', with the main focus on software.
    That isn't really true, Mac OS/X has gotten some nice updates.
  • Reply 4 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Mac Pro: announcement, ships before the end of the year

iMac: Why not an update? The chips will be out.

Mac Mini: Same thing.

Laptops: Same thing.

iPad: Nope.

iPhone: Nope.

AirPort family: Hopefully.

OS X: First preview, dev copy for attendees. Launch next year.

iOS: First preview, launch in the fall with the new iPhone and iPads.

• Reply 5 of 131

4K Cinema Display

4K AppleTV

• Reply 6 of 131
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Quote:

Originally Posted by squareback View Post

4K Cinema Display

4K AppleTV

Nice.

And a 4K Apple camera for under 2K

• Reply 7 of 131

I just heard from a reliable source in the far east that Foxconn is ramping up production of a new Gesture keyboard for Apple.

• Reply 8 of 131

I just heard from a reliable source in the far east that Foxconn is ramping up production of a new Gesture keyboard for Apple.

What's the point of that?

Also, sure you did. imageimage

• Reply 9 of 131

The point would be no more mice or trackpads, just gestures in the air over the keyboard.

• Reply 10 of 131
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Also, sure you did. imageimage

He has a source....  I'm waiting for elevator photos.

With OS X and iOS and hardware, this is going to be a sweet keynote on the 10th. Doubt they will be able to fit everything in so there will likely be quiet updates around the same time.

• Reply 11 of 131
    daemonkdaemonk Posts: 49member

Quote:

4K Cinema Display

4K AppleTV

Why be separate products? For the thousands of Dollars a 32" 4K Cinema Display will cost, they might as well throw in AppleTV functionality.

I do expect a 4K Cinema Display (possibly based on the Sharp panel) but I think it's still a little bit too early. Although it would be a hell of a splash to introduce along with the new Mac Pro.

• Reply 12 of 131

Mac Pro

Possible, but unsure as there has been no leaks, news about new product line being made in U.S. points to this product, however PC Sales have been decreasing every year and Mac Pro's are really expensive. So the Mac Mini or a new model of the Mac Pro similar to a G5 Cube is what could be next.

iPad

Not Likely... Until Fall

iPhone

Not Likely... Until Fall

Macbooks

New Wifi AC/ Haswell In them... Until Fall

New Services

iRadio Maybe ... Until Fall

iOS

Update designed by Jony Ive Until Fall release with new iPhone and 3D Screen iPods

Black or Grey Notepad, Weather in Lockscreen with app shortcuts, New Settings around the system, flatter UI to stand the test of time, new contacts app with pictures/ statuses on list. 

Mac OS X

Update to be able to snap two programs on one screen, closing apps actually turns them off from the activity monitor, siri or apple maps integration, new Safari similar to chrome, a less grey or whiter/colorful UI for Mac OS X, iRadio on iTunes, more iOS like features on it.

New Products for next year

iWatch next year with bluetooth headphones and fashionable bands, Apple TV Update with Live TV Channels streaming off the internet, TV tuners in next iMac, etc

• Reply 13 of 131

Originally Posted by dark defender View Post

…closing apps actually turns them off from the activity monitor…

Wait… what?

…siri or apple maps integration…

I really really really want Siri in 10.9, but I don't figure it will happen.

And even if it did, it would be restricted to the retina MacBook Pro because it has the two special microphones.

…new Safari similar to chrome…

Eew, no!

…Apple TV Update with Live TV Channels streaming off the internet…

I don't buy it. What, just the stuff made available on certain channels' websites right now? Instant failure, if that's the case.

…TV tuners in next iMac…

The last Mac with a TV tuner was the 20th Anniversary Mac (… right? Or was it the Macintosh TV in the LC 575 case in 1994?) in 1997.

• Reply 14 of 131

Quote:

Wait… what?

I really really really want Siri in 10.9, but I don't figure it will happen.

And even if it did, it would be restricted to the retina MacBook Pro because it has the two special microphones.

Eew, no!

I don't buy it. What, just the stuff made available on certain channels' websites right now? Instant failure, if that's the case.

The last Mac with a TV tuner was the 20th Anniversary Mac (… right? Or was it the Macintosh TV in the LC 575 case in 1994?) in 1997.

You know... like when you hit the red button an app still runs in the background instead of fully ending the process... it's better if it would entirely just close the damn app instead of having to go to the app menu to close it... two clicks are more than one.

I actually don't care if it has either.

Well there is a new Safari coming... It's eventually gonna have to evolve more into chrome with themes, extensions, apps, etc.

I actually get channels using a tv/torrent client called Zona, it's russian, but it has a few channels in english. It's actually pretty cool. of course the real thing Apple would have to make to compete with Google TV would have to get the channels streamed directly from The sources and pay them to stream it to Apple TV's or Macs.

I'm not knowledgeable on this subject but I can say that TV on Computers is the future ever since Youtube became a thing.

• Reply 15 of 131

Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

You know... like when you hit the red button an app still runs in the background instead of fully ending the process... it's better if it would entirely just close the damn app instead of having to go to the app menu to close it... two clicks are more than one.

It's the way it is for a reason.

Well there is a new Safari coming... It's eventually gonna have to evolve more into chrome with themes, extensions, apps, etc.

What in the world gives you that idea? Why would Apple purposely design something to be closer to the crap that is Chrome? "Apps"? Apps are for iOS. Applications are for OS X. Extensions are for browsers (and Safari has had them for years), and themes are just effing idiotic.

I actually get channels using a tv/torrent client called Zona, it's russian, but it has a few channels in english. It's actually pretty cool. of course the real thing Apple would have to make to compete with Google TV would have to get the channels streamed directly from The sources and pay them to stream it to Apple TV's or Macs.

Hmm.

I'm not knowledgeable on this subject but I can say that TV on Computers is the future ever since Youtube became a thing.

Mmm… TV via the Internet is the future. I'm not sure that YouTube should be the marker light for this new world. 

• Reply 16 of 131

Quote:

What in the world gives you that idea? Why would Apple purposely design something to be closer to the crap that is Chrome? "Apps"? Apps are for iOS. Applications are for OS X. Extensions are for browsers (and Safari has had them for years), and themes are just effing idiotic.

Woah.. Umm... Chrome is faster than Safari... and it has built in Voice Search with Google.

The Themes are so people can make it their own. And Apps so I can run web apps on it or access files on other computers from it without having to go through an installer every time I need a program... plus web software is stored on the dev's servers which means they don't take space when they're not in use. Or they can make it so the app is fully downloaded and cached in your system, speeding up access to the information your looking for in the app saving you bandwidth. It's also better because the browser is your most used program on any OS. If everything is neatly organized there, you can get information or data faster.

And you're right. Youtube is stupid... but what are you gonna do.. People like to laugh... I've been on Vimeo and the content there is better but a little boring. But Youtube was the thing that kicked off Internet Videos and nothing will change that fact.

• Reply 17 of 131

Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

Either Huddler's screwing up more recently or people are. Annoying, isn't it? image

• Reply 18 of 131
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Either Huddler's screwing up more recently or people are. Annoying, isn't it? image

One thing I keep getting on my iPhone is a dead link to the AI forums from front page stories.

• Reply 19 of 131

Quote:

I like to refine my posts... lol.

• Reply 20 of 131

Also, sure you did. :rolleyes: ;)

You made a funny????????????????????????????????