Greenpeace praises Apple's hiring of former EPA chief

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jragosta wrote: »
    I don't buy it. A Mini or MBA use considerably less power than a 13 W CFL bulb? Heck, the CPU alone in either of those draws more than 13 W.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3468?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
    According to Apple, it draws 11 W at idle. So 13 W is close to being at idle - which is not 'using' the computer. You might as well consider how much power the CFL draws when it's turned off.

You might be looking at this wrong. Consider that a lightbulb in use for an hour is using the same amount of power for each minute and each second, but a computing device has a varying power requirements for its operation under normal use in the average hour. The best way to consider this is how much power it draws in an hour under normal use, not what the CPU is rated it at idle or in use. I'd say that being slightly below a 13W bulb for the average hour use isn't unbelievable. Perhaps AnandTech has some hard numbers.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Did I forget anything?

I'll make it simple for you.

I am outraged by Greenpeace's praise of Apple and I am extremely skeptical of Apple's hiring of that woman. If the hiring turns out to be a disaster, like when Apple hired that British guy to take over Apple retail, then I will be outraged at Apple, when that time comes.

• Reply 23 of 57
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    And just for the record, I am not against the environment and I don't walk around polluting and leaving a trail of garbage everywhere that I go just to make a point.

And in honor of Greenpeace, I will make an effort to use more electricity than normal today. Maybe I'll turn all of my Macs on at the same time, even the old ones that I don't use much anymore. 

You wouldn't happen to have worked on the Mitt Romney campaign would you?
  • Reply 24 of 57
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Two separate subjects? Yeah right. Why on Earth did AI put two such differing subjects into a single article?

...hiring of that woman? Sounds like her gender is another huge concern for you.

Let's summarize:

Greenpeace sucks

Current administration sucks

Environmentalist suck

Energy efficient product sucks

Women suck

Did I forget anything?

Yeah, anyone who buys an Android OS-based device is a nincompoop.

• Reply 25 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Yeah, anyone who buys an Android OS-based device is a nincompoop.

Well, I certainly can't disagree with that.

• Reply 26 of 57
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I happen to like things like Tesla (I like their stock too)......

Really? Despite the fact that Tesla uses Android interface for its dashboard, and took $565M in stimulus money from the US Dept of Energy?
  • Reply 27 of 57
    mstone wrote: »

Let's summarize:

Greenpeace sucks

Current administration sucks

Environmentalist suck

Energy efficient product sucks

Women suck

Did I forget anything?

In all fairness, he only said the first two.

The rest appears to be a function of your interpretation/imagination.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    majjo wrote: »
    You wouldn't happen to have worked on the Mitt Romney campaign would you?

Oh please.... 47%* of the country voted for him.

*A somewhat ironic number, however.....
  • Reply 29 of 57
    jragosta wrote: »

I don't buy it. A Mini or MBA use considerably less power than a 13 W CFL bulb? Heck, the CPU alone in either of those draws more than 13 W.

I think it's impossible that Apple would fudge such an easily verifiable number.

If they did something like that, I'd have trouble believing their far more serious numbers!
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Really? Despite the fact that Tesla uses Android interface for its dashboard, and took $565M in stimulus money from the US Dept of Energy?

Don't forget that it uses Google maps as well! Not surprising considering Google cofounders are big investors in Tesla.

To their credit, they did pay back the loan. And 9 years ahead of schedule.
  • Reply 31 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I didn't know about the Android dashboard, that's certainly troubling.

Last week Tesla repaid the entire loan back, 9 years ahead of schedule.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/22/autos/tesla-loan-repayment/

Tesla doesn't seem to be a "Solyndra" type failure, like many of the other "green" companies that the government has been wasting taxpayer dollars on.

• Reply 32 of 57
    I think it's impossible that Apple would fudge such an easily verifiable number.

If they did something like that, I'd have trouble believing their far more serious numbers!

The 2010 model idles at 8w, and any type of use spikes it above 13w. So I guess apple is going off the idle power.
  • Reply 33 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Last week Tesla repaid the entire loan back, 9 years ahead of schedule.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/22/autos/tesla-loan-repayment/

Tesla doesn't seem to be a "Solyndra" type failure, like many of the other "green" companies that the government has been wasting taxpayer dollars on.

OK, so that I understand better, you've just admitted your issue is not with the government bailout, but whether the business succeeded or not? 

So, do you only buy stocks that go up? (That's a trick question: I know the answer. image)

• Reply 34 of 57

Quote:

OK, so that I understand better, you've just admitted your issue is not with the government bailout, but whether the business succeeded or not? 

So, do you only buy stocks that go up? (That's a trick question: I know the answer. image)

I am against bailout money, but as I understand it, the Tesla money was not bailout money, but merely a low interest loan, under a program that was actually started under Bush. I support initiatives that will get us off of oil, not primarily because of environmental issues, but because of security issues and to lessen the reliance on crappy countries for our oil and energy needs.

From wiki:

The low-interest loans are not related to the "bailout" funds that GM and Chrysler have received, nor are they related to the 2009 economic stimulus package. The Department of Energy loan program was created in 2007 during the George Bush administration in order to get more fuel-efficient vehicle options to U.S. consumers and to decrease the country's dependence on foreign oil.[52] Tesla repaid the loan to theU.S. government, in full, in May 2013. Tesla is the first car company to have fully repaid the government, while FordNissan and Fisker have not.[53]

• Reply 35 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

So I guess apple is going off the idle power.

I don't follow what you mean, sorry.

Are you saying Apple is reporting it correctly or it is not? What is the implication of "going off the idle power"? Is there some other way that they should/could have reported it?

• Reply 36 of 57
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

So I guess apple is going off the idle power.

I don't follow what you mean, sorry.

Are you saying Apple is reporting it correctly or it is not? What is the implication of "going off the idle power"? Is there some other way that they should/could have reported it?

The explanation is missing for the graphic in question. From the actual webpage:

Quote:

*Calculated while system is idle and has completed loading its operating system; for products with displays, the display is set to its full brightness. Assumes CO2e emissions generated from an average mix of power grids in the U.S. See our Product Environmental Reports for detailed power consumption information by product.

• Reply 37 of 57

You're just grasping at straws at this point. And the wiki entry you quote is plain nonsense. You and your wiki quote can call it what you will, but they were **all** bailouts -- or they were **all** not.

There is little qualitative difference between what Tesla got and what Solyndra got. Indeed, Solyndra's 'bailout' may be even milder, since what they really got was a loan guarantee (that enabled them to borrow cheaper), not even a loan. If Tesla had gone bankrupt -- as unfortunately, Solyndra did -- the taxpayers would have been on the hook in an exactly similar fashion. Btw, Tesla got its loan in 2010, about the same time as Solyndra. And the fact that the program started under Bush means nothing at all, since most of the bailouts started under Bush.

GM has also paid back its loan, in full, many years ahead of its maturity. So what? (I am not sure about Chrysler, but I think they have paid it back too ahead of schedule. Btw, the irony was that Chrysler was owned by private equity fund headed by Republican Dan Quayle and Bush's ex-secretary of treasury, John Snow).

You're just dissembling.
  • Reply 38 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

The explanation is missing for the graphic in question. From the actual webpage:

Quote:

*Calculated while system is idle and has completed loading its operating system; for products with displays, the display is set to its full brightness.

Thanks.

So, that does seem like a bit of a bogus calculation on Apple's part?

• Reply 39 of 57
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Quote:

*Calculated while system is idle and has completed loading its operating system; for products with displays, the display is set to its full brightness.

Thanks.

So, that does seem like a bit of a bogus calculation on Apple's part?

Since it represents the absolute minimum power usage it does seem a bit unrealistic. It would be interesting to measure the average usage over a day or so for comparison. 

• Reply 40 of 57
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Poor Al Gore.   No one takes him cereal anymore.

Even having him on the board wasn't enough "green cred" to get the big bad corporate Apple a pass with the enviro-terrorist crowd.

If hiring the former EPA head does not work, next they will have to hire Man-Bear-Pig.