Apple reportedly looking to Pegatron in supply chain diversification away from Foxconn

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

They would be constantly upgrading an retooling the robots at least yearly due to changes, upgrades, new models. Not sure robotics would be economical with the short product lives.

If tooling is involved (which there wouldn't be in the case of pure assembly) then it would be required in either case (human or robot workers).

• Reply 22 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Finally, it will be interesting to find out who the new nine companies Apple bought so far in 2013.

Some of them we many never know the details. As Cook mentioned, they only announce it when they need to announce it.

• Reply 23 of 37
    Foxconn, Samsung, Pegatron, ASIA-con... I wouldn't trust them with my worst friends half dead dog. They are thieves and will sell anyone they do business with down the river in the end! Anyone who continues the meme "it's too late to bring manufacturing back to the U.S." is only making it more difficult for that to happen. The only solution is to become independent of any company outside of our borders. Heaven knows we need the jobs. There's a lot of mending to be done in this country if we are to continue to be a great nation.

Sorry if this sounds paranoiac, but anyone who stays on top of world news and conditions knows this to be true. Sadly, this is only the beginning of mending America. We must reform government, learn to use technology for the betterment of mankind, and learn to get along with one another. Become the role model for the rest of the world that we used to be.

I'm certainly not advocating isolationism - but the world feels so messed up right now, we have to do some very drastic rethinking of the world we want our kids to grow up in. And then ACT!
  • Reply 24 of 37
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Apple and the rest of SV complain about the lack of advanced manufacturing talent when they created this gap.

• Reply 25 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I find it bizarre that Apple hasn't committed to advanced robotic assembly plants yet. Seems to me that would be something that would be clearly in line with their expectations of absolute secrecy and top quality. And the last time they actually operated their own assembly lines? Was it the original (black and white screen) Macintosh? Please make it happen, folks.

100% agreed.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    jobsisgodjobsisgod Posts: 31member

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Foxconn, Samsung, Pegatron, ASIA-con... I wouldn't trust them with my worst friends half dead dog. They are thieves and will sell anyone they do business with down the river in the end! Anyone who continues the meme "it's too late to bring manufacturing back to the U.S." is only making it more difficult for that to happen. The only solution is to become independent of any company outside of our borders. Heaven knows we need the jobs. There's a lot of mending to be done in this country if we are to continue to be a great nation.

Sorry if this sounds paranoiac, but anyone who stays on top of world news and conditions knows this to be true. Sadly, this is only the beginning of mending America. We must reform government, learn to use technology for the betterment of mankind, and learn to get along with one another. Become the role model for the rest of the world that we used to be.

I'm certainly not advocating isolationism - but the world feels so messed up right now, we have to do some very drastic rethinking of the world we want our kids to grow up in. And then ACT!

We can't move the jobs here to the US because it would cost MUCH more to produce the products here.  Our minimum wage is significantly higher along with tighter regulations on things such as chemical disposal which all add to the per unit cost.  Apple is a publicly traded company so they have a duty to its shareholders to maximize shareholder value.  Increasing production costs is not a move that will maximize profits and shareholder value.  We live in a global marketplace and Apple is right to utilize that fact to its fullest potential.

• Reply 27 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobsisgod View Post

We can't move the jobs here to the US because it would cost MUCH more to produce the products here.  Our minimum wage is significantly higher along with tighter regulations on things such as chemical disposal which all add to the per unit cost.  Apple is a publicly traded company so they have a duty to its shareholders to maximize shareholder value.  Increasing production costs is not a move that will maximize profits and shareholder value.  We live in a global marketplace and Apple is right to utilize that fact to its fullest potential.

Shareholder value is only loosely associated with corporate profit. Shareholders do NOT own part of the company. They own paper. AAPL stock dropped like a rock while profits soared. No correlation whatsoever. People buy the stock hoping to sell to someone else who has the same misconceptions you have at a higher price than what they paid for it. All paper no actual tangible assets. Entirely different than investing in real estate of which they can't just print more of.

• Reply 28 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Shareholders do NOT own part of the company.  They own paper.

So if I were to own 51% of a company's shares you think that I don't own any part of that company?

• Reply 29 of 37
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    paxman wrote: »
    isaidso wrote: »
    A phone with a video screen and a camera, that I cannot stand-up on it's side or on it's end, is almost (not quite), but almost pointless to me.
    The iPhone's ability to do is very limited. 

Only on the 4&5 too. Earlier models couldn't. No smartphone from Samsung or HTC can. This is likely one of the weirdest complaints ever posted here. That is saying a lot.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    tsunami78 wrote: »
    isaidso wrote: »
    A phone with a video screen and a camera, that I cannot stand-up on it's side or on it's end, is almost (not quite), but almost pointless to me.

Sooooo... why are you reading and commenting on an article that's about a company that's primary line of business is something that is pointless to you?

I know I responded to him too, but it is pretty clear he was just trolling. Know one can believe something that weird. As others have pointed out , essentially no phone meets his criteria and there are countless cases for every phone that meet his criteria. He will come back soon and claim sarcasm. No one will understand how it could have been (most likely because it actually wasn't), then we will all ignore it and move on.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobsisgod View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Shareholders do NOT own part of the company.  They own paper.

So if I were to own 51% of a company's shares you think that I don't own any part of that company?

Nope. You would have the majority of the stock. That is it. See, it is different for a small company you and a partner might have founded verses a publicly traded one. If you owned stock in AAPL the only way you would own part of the company is if it went bankrupt and all its assets were liquidated. After all the other creditors are paid off then whatever is left is divided among the shareholders which is almost always zero. Other than that you own paper that was based on the value of the company at the IPO or after they issued additional shares and adjusted to a market value estimated by some bankers according to investor demand and expected future earnings, all of which is just make believe. You are a millionaire on paper.

• Reply 32 of 37
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

WTF ???

Again:  WTF???

• Reply 33 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

• Reply 34 of 37
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

And, once again we see the stupidity of analysts. Despite the fact that Tim Cook warned them not to base conclusions on single data points, they went ahead and forecast doom for Apple because Foxconn said they would have less works. 

• Reply 35 of 37

Quote:

Employees would not be an issue if the facilities were almost 100% robot assembly workers. In fact, on a going forward basis, I believe a good number people who are manual laborers in factories will face obsolescence within 10 years, due to liability and other legal issues.

• Reply 36 of 37
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

We can't move the jobs here to the US because it would cost MUCH more to produce the products here. 

I dunno. At Foxconn, each iPhone goes through about 50 workers.  In the US, most of those would probably be robots instead.  No dormitories or canteens or psychologists or bathrooms or parking lots or even heating needed.

Surveys say about 1/3 of the biggest American companies are looking into moving production back to the US, partly because Chinese labor costs are climbing.  So is shipping.

They've seen how other companies have done it, and sometimes been able to cut their costs.  I was just reading about a major appliance maker who brought back some manufacturing.   Along the way, they discovered that Americans were more likely to speak up and say, hey this is being done wrong, and revamp the design and/or production methods to save time and money.  They were actually able to lower their price on one major item, and thus be more competitive.

• Reply 37 of 37
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Employees would not be an issue if the facilities were almost 100% robot assembly workers. In fact, on a going forward basis, I believe a good number people who are manual laborers in factories will face obsolescence within 10 years, due to liability and other legal issues.

Yes. If your current job is a simple, repetitive task you better try something harder because robots are getting better and better.