Amazon launches 'Login with Amazon' API for iOS, Android, web

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Online retail giant Amazon took a step to expand its footprint on the mobile platforms of both Apple and Google, introducing a Login with Amazon application programming interface that developers can integrate with their sites and apps in order to save time for their users.

The retailer touts Login with Amazon as a way for developers to save time and increase security for their customers. Instead of building the infrastructure to have user data and passwords saved, a developer implements the Login with Amazon API and Amazon handles user credentials on its end.

Developers choosing the service, Amazon says, will have the ability to securely connect with more than 200 million active Amazon customers.

In offering itself as a credential portal, Amazon is competing with other OAuth services from companies like Google, Twitter, Facebook, and more. It also is giving itself a foothold in web, Mac, and PC purchases, though it cannot do so for iOS due to Apple's strict control of the platform.

Already signed on with Login with Amazon are Zappos and Woot, both Amazon subsidiaries. According to Amazon, 40 percent of Zappos' new customers choose Login with Amazon, while Woot saw customers choosing Login with Amazon at two times the rate that any other social login option saw.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I wonder if you log in, you'll stay logged in. Or like Apples' implementation, stay logged in for 15 minutes (which you can change to 'immediately')
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mattbookairmattbookair Posts: 172member
    So, how is "open" working out for you, google.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Already signed on with Login with Amazon are Zappos and Woot, both Amazon subsidiaries. According to Amazon, 40 percent of Zappos' new customers choose Login with Amazon, while Woot saw customers choosing Login with Amazon at two times the rate that any other social login option saw.

Already "signed up", LOL!  I wonder how long until other Amazon owned sites like DPReview.com are "encouraged" to "sign up" for Amazon.com IDs?

• Reply 4 of 8
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

>So, how is "open" working out for you, google.

ouch.

• Reply 5 of 8
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    I'm not exactly blown away that online discount shoppers already have an Amazon account. It's actually surprising that only 40% of Amazon's Zappos customers are using their amazon account to login. Why doesn't Amazon simply converge its OWN CUSTOMERS to a single account ID?

It's like Apple bragging that 40% of its App Store users logged in with their iTunes Account, rather than having just set up one ID for all its online services.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member

Amazon needs a type of account icon or phrase like banks have to give users' confidence that they are using Amazon's servers to sign in.  I think reducing the number of accounts you have and authentication services are a good idea in theory, but there are downsides like username/password stealing by 3rd party sites, user tracking, lots of different authentication services that only work on certain sites, etc.  Probably why they haven't caught on yet.

• Reply 7 of 8
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Just in time. This will be a very interesting four way battle.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    john.b wrote: »
    Already "signed up", LOL!  I wonder how long until other Amazon owned sites like DPReview.com are "encouraged" to "sign up" for Amazon.com IDs?

I love that site! Ive been on that site since its birth, Nov 1998. A friend of mine, while working for Nikon, met him (Phil), a great guy as I recall.