Full D11 interview with Apple CEO Tim Cook now available

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

…even Kara's, which were pretty rude at times.

She's a complete idiot. Has been since D5 (when I started noticing D at all). Every single time she's up there, she's either vacuous or rude. Needs fired from whatever job she thinks she has.

• Reply 22 of 43
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You can see from the many threads on AI why they do that. Every response to every question is dissected to try and turn it into news even if it's non-news, which means ad impressions.

The media has an odd obsession that has developed recently about the next revolution coming. The history of computing goes something like:

1960-1980 first steps in electronic computing

1980-2000 personal computer revolution

2000-2007 portable music player revolution

2007-2010 mobile phone revolution

2010-present tablet revolution

Now in 2013, the media is on the edge of their seats saying to Apple 'do it again, do it again, make something else magical'. Just because the pace of innovation stepped up doesn't mean a revolution has to come every 3 years or less now. These changes will happen when they figure out how to do them right and there's no set timeframe for this. The employees at Apple aren't magicians, they use the same products we do and are only aware of the same needs.

He handled the questioning very well as usual; even Kara's, which were pretty rude at times.

Yes...there is so much scrutiny from all the media and the public. Everyone wants to see the next great thing from Apple. They want to see the next space/product Apple will get into. Apple has a history of waiting and producing great things but in their own timeframe....not everyone elses....

I thought Tim did a great job in the interview......

• Reply 23 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandman999 View Post

I gave it my best shot, but those interviewers are jerks. I'll stick to the highlights...

Agreed....they interrupted, tried t0o hard to be funny, which essentially came across as rude.

Walt Mossberg, is too self-important and the lady is too east coast for me.

Tim handled himself really well! :)

If I was him, I'd pass next year! :)

• Reply 24 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I thought he did a great job in the interview. He hinted at some things but did not give too much away....The more I read about him and his answers to questions....the more I like him....

Me too. :)

• Reply 25 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Walt Mossberg & Kara Swisher are a pain to watch. They kept on hounding and hounding Tim about new products and nothing else... If you want to host a conference and invite people to talk about technology then don't be a pain in the ass. Tim handled himself well though at times you can see he is frustrated and doesn't give much of an insight in his replies... Miss the good old Sj days. I still watch those old D conferences where he made appearances every now and then.

Well said.

I did like the comment by Tim about Apple always having tough competitors, "...like Dell." I thought that was cool! :)

And I think it was in the Q&A section when he said he "...didn't like copiers!" 

• Reply 26 of 43
    Jeez... that woman is so annoying! Should have just had Larry King interview him.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    eauviveeauvive Posts: 237member
    bandman999 wrote: »
    I gave it my best shot, but those interviewers are jerks. I'll stick to the highlights...

I concur. This interview is drab. Humdrum. They should have brought in a chimney, set up a fire and just sip orange juices while blathering. There is not a trace, not a hint of a question that could have taken Cook aback; it’s almost fawn. I really wonder if the questions were not handed to the Apple comm. dpt. before.
  • Reply 28 of 43

The interviewers need to get more professional. It seems to me like they lack ethics of interview with top level executives.

• Reply 29 of 43
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandman999 View Post

I can't fucking stand them. I lost track of how many times they interrupted Cook to ask SO WHEN IS APPLE COMING OUT WITH THIS PRODUCT??!  THIS YEAR?? IS APPLE WORKING ON THIS?? 

I don't get it. You know he's not going to fucking answer that, nor should he. The TV segment was painful. They directly demanded to know in like 57 ways if Apple was working on a TV and if it was coming out this year. So childish and mind-numbingly stupid. I mean, come on. What a waste of time, and insulting to Cook and the viewers. Same thing with the watch segment. SO WHEN IS APPLE IWATCH COMING OUT??! Like 37 times. I can't believe these people are so respected in the tech journalism industry. They're also both disrespectful and smug, on many occasions, and as if they've accomplished something and they'd be better suited to run a company such as Apple. I couldn't believe the Gil Amelio remark, meant to antagonize and back-handedly insult Cook. They also made sensational, false statements of fact on many occasions. Being in the industry for so long, these people should also have some perspective, and not put so much weight and emphasis on stock price. If I was Cook I'd need to down myself in alcohol after dealing with such entitled clowns that couldn't ask an insightful question to save their asses. This is the CEO of Apple you're interviewing, not a low level job applicant. Ask tough questions, but have some fucking deference and respect. They haven't created a thing in their lives but somehow have such an incredible sense of self-importance. Cook could have ripped them and their idiotic line of questioning to shreds if he wanted to, but the guy has too much class and humility for that. 

• Reply 30 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

They directly demanded to know in like 57 ways if Apple was working on a TV and if it was coming out this year. SO WHEN IS APPLE IWATCH COMING OUT??! Like 37 times.

After the first five pokes to the gut about that, I would have stood up, bowed slightly, and walked off stage.

That's worth way more press than actually finishing the interview. And then you can really go to town in the post-interview interview!

• Reply 31 of 43
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I can't fucking stand them. I lost track of how many times they interrupted Cook to ask SO WHEN IS APPLE COMING OUT WITH THIS PRODUCT??!  THIS YEAR?? IS APPLE WORKING ON THIS?? 

I don't get it. You know he's not going to fucking answer that, nor should he. The TV segment was painful. They directly demanded to know in like 57 ways if Apple was working on a TV and if it was coming out this year. So childish and mind-numbingly stupid. I mean, come on. What a waste of time, and insulting to Cook and the viewers. Same thing with the watch segment. SO WHEN IS APPLE IWATCH COMING OUT??! Like 37 times. I can't believe these people are so respected in the tech journalism industry. They're also both disrespectful and smug, on many occasions, and as if they've accomplished something and they'd be better suited to run a company such as Apple. I couldn't believe the Gil Amelio remark, meant to antagonize and back-handedly insult Cook. They also made sensational, false statements of fact on many occasions. Being in the industry for so long, these people should also have some perspective, and not put so much weight and emphasis on stock price. If I was Cook I'd need to down myself in alcohol after dealing with such entitled clowns that couldn't ask an insightful question to save their asses. This is the CEO of Apple you're interviewing, not a low level job applicant. Ask tough questions, but have some fucking deference and respect. They haven't created a thing in their lives but somehow have such an incredible sense of self-importance. Cook could have ripped them and their idiotic line of questioning to shreds if he wanted to, but the guy has too much class and humility for that. 

Well Said! I hope Tim Cook never goes back to All Things D because they simply do not deserve his time.
  • Reply 32 of 43

I also love how Walt characterized the senate hearings as a "love fest". I watched the whole thing, it was nothing of the sort. What, because they stated they owned Apple products, simply because they wanted to make sure everyone knew they weren't "picking" on Apple? The questioning was intense, at times extremely so, and very accusatory. It wasn't a "love-fest" but Walt states this as fact simply to embarass Cook and push the narrative that Apple is treated better than it should be, which is the exact opposite of reality. Tim Cook's response to that was way too polite. He should have mocked that characterization.

Just one example out of dozens where they state falsities as fact in order to sensationalize and provoke a response. 

Oh, and Kara needs to get laid. Her constant frown-face and ultra-dry, smug humor is incredibly tiresome. 

• Reply 33 of 43
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    They dragged out all the recent anti-Apple memes and threw them at him, and he never cracked, in fact gave them far better answers than they deserved. The guy is a master of cool-headedness.

At the questions near the end, we could see the effects of the fog of media stupidity that hangs over Apple. The hircine clown who asked him, "Why won't you let us dream" caused nary a wince to cross Tim's face.

I think all the negativity causes a guy like Tim to just get smarter and more determined. Steve, of course, would have stared the goatman down till he was a blob of jello. Tim actually came up with a good answer.
  • Reply 34 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

They dragged out all the recent anti-Apple memes and threw them at him, and he never cracked, in fact gave them far better answers than they deserved. The guy is a master of cool-headedness.

At the questions near the end, we could see the effects of the fog of media stupidity that hangs over Apple. The hircine clown who asked him, "Why won't you let us dream" caused nary a wince to cross Tim's face.

I think all the negativity causes a guy like Tim to just get smarter and more determined. Steve, of course, would have stared the goatman down till he was a blob of jello. Tim actually came up with a good answer.

Apple, how dare they, preventing that poor schmuck from dreaming. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry while watching that train-wreck of a question from someone who looks like they just escaped from an asylum. I think I somehow did a combination of both. The Google fanboy was even worse. Such a disrespectful, entitled dickhead. Also, Swisher should just quit what she's doing if it makes her so unhappy, she looks like she's constantly pissed all the time and is doing something tortuous. You're not a fucking prosecutor, stop acting like one. You have the privelege of interviewing incredibly accomplished and interesting people, stop acting like a bitch. 

So sad that someone so accomplished as Tim Cook, has to do this farcical interviews, answer these inane "questions", testify at circus hearings, and basically be villanized, mocked, and bashed on a daily basis in such baseless ways without an ounce of respect. It's no wonder Jobs hated the media and had such contempt for anyone who tried to dictate what Apple should do. I thought Cook handled himself reasonably well, but honestly could have used more strength and aggressiveness while answering some Qs- especially the more asinine, ridiculous ones from Mossberg and Swisher. He validated and entertained premises that he should have scoffed at. He needs to be more aggressive at hitting down moronic statements and explaining why they're moronic, not just "well.. I look at it in perhaps a different way". In many cases he could have done so using history of an example, with the same attacks being levelled in the past. 

• Reply 35 of 43
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Cook realizes that people are excited about products so he knows that he's going to be hounded and how to precisely dodge the question. Contrary to Tallest Skil, I don't mind Swisher or Mossberg, they are who they are.

As interviewers, it is their job to push the subjects buttons any way they can. If they throw softballs, they will be called on it.

Would I have asked similar questions? No.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member

Couldn't hold back. Had to email them to express my thoughts.

• Reply 37 of 43
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Did "kids" start using Facebook first? College students were the guinea pigs. I guess they are kids from a certain perspective. But the kids that are keeping Facebook au courant now are real kids, as in teenagers.

Furthermore, iPods became popular with adults rather fast (if not as early as kids). Lest we forget, the initial iPod wasn't cheap at $399. At that price, parents were often generous with themselves first.

Yeah I use kids in broad sense, I should have said tweens to 20-somenthings, they are setting the future direction of what will be popular. 

Just because something cost $399 does not mean kids did not want it, kids are very good at getting the parents pocket books pried open. MacDonalds understand this very well, For a long time MacDonalds food was gear towards kids and kids are very good at wearing parents down into taking them to MacDonlds. 

In the Marketing world this concept is very well understood and exploite where possible and Apple has been doing this since the beginning. Apple strategy even back in the 80's was to get the kids hooked on Mac and they will bring it into the corporate world, which began happening but it fell apart.

• Reply 38 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Couldn't hold back. Had to email them to express my thoughts.

Their email is rude too! I guess what they fail to understand is not the 'fan boys' that are complaining, but its the professionals who know how to talk to executives and those who know a bit of ethics that are complaining here. No matter what, if they talk to Google, Facebook, Apple CEO, their interview needs to get more professional, and stop being rude and ask silly questions. Too blind sighted for them to even think that its just 'fan boys' that are complaining!! What a disgrace!

• Reply 39 of 43
    Who is this Kara Swisher character? She comes off as an abrasive, incompetent and pretentious half-wit that is more stage prop than journalist. She does more to make Mossberg look smart and add IQ points to his intellect than add any real substance to the discussion. I remember her horrible performance she turned in two years ago while interviewing Jobs and Gates (Job's last), it was a shameful performance and yet two years later here she is again - what a disgrace! She seems to excel at low-ball journalistic tactics, trying to antagonize, belittle and marginalize her subjects even when they are generously giving their own time to be there. Why Tim Cook agreed to be interviewed by her astounds me. As a reputable newspaper, which apparently the WST is not, you are supposed to send your best and brightest to interview corporate America's best and brightest. Maybe is just the PMS that is talking and the real Kara Swisher may one day decide to make an appearance.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Who is this Kara Swisher character? She comes off as an abrasive, incompetent and pretentious half-wit that is more stage prop than journalist. She does more to make Mossberg look smart and add IQ points to his intellect than add any real substance to the discussion. I remember her horrible performance she turned in two years ago while interviewing Jobs and Gates (Job's last), it was a shameful performance and yet two years later here she is again - what a disgrace! She seems to excel at low-ball journalistic tactics, trying to antagonize, belittle and marginalize her subjects even when they are generously giving their own time to be there. Why Tim Cook agreed to be interviewed by her astounds me. As a reputable newspaper, which apparently the WST is not, you are supposed to send your best and brightest to interview corporate America's best and brightest. Maybe is just the PMS that is talking and the real Kara Swisher may one day decide to make an appearance.