Yves Behar announces August iPhone-controlled smart lock

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
At the D11 conference on Wednesday, fuseproject's Yves Behar announced August, a new Bluetooth-connected smart lock that lets owners use a smartphone as a wireless key.

August
August lock, exploded view. | Source: August

Following in the footsteps of other home automation products, August is yet another entrant into the door lock category set to be populated with upcoming products like Kwikset's UniKey-powered Kevo and a Kickstarter project called Lockitron.

Designed by Yves Behar, August attaches to a door's deadbolt and leverages the Bluetooth Low Energy protocol to create virtual smartphone keys, allowing users to lock and unlock the mechanism without physical contact. The device runs on four AA batteries and is completely self-sufficient, meaning it will work even in the case of a power outage. Charges last up to six months.

What makes August different is its design, which resembles a chunkier Nest Learning Thermostat. On the front is an array of lock status LEDs, while a rotatable collar acts as a physical backup in case batteries fail or something goes wrong with the Bluetooth connection.

Users can issue time-based key codes to friends and family, who can accept the invitations via email to turn their smartphones into virtual keys. Whenever a guest opens or closes the door, the owner is alerted to the activity. Since the system relies completely on Bluetooth, and is not connected to Wi-Fi, it most likely sends out these alert messages via a guest's smartphone.

In comparison to competing products like Kevo, Behar's August mounts on the inside of a user's door without the need for a complete lock replacement. Installation is supposedly simple, but perhaps not as easy as Lockitron, which requires no screws or tinkering as it sits directly on top of the existing lock handle.

August can be pre-ordered from the company's website for $199.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Okay, it'll work in the case of a power outage...but will it work in the case of a power outage on your phone? Yikes.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Okay, it'll work in the case of a power outage...but will it work in the case of a power outage on your phone? Yikes.

Never mind. I see that the key is on the outside. 

• Reply 3 of 23
    Sweet!
  • Reply 4 of 23
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    This one looks better designed than the other two in the sense of being both more attractive than the Kevo, and far more practical than the Lockitron.

However, it's kind of disturbing how little information there is on the website. It's very flashy and smooth looking but there is no real (detailed) information on how it works. There isn't a single picture of the *outside* of the lock for instance. There's also no addressing of obvious questions like how does it know what side of the door you are on, or really much detail on anything at all.

Whoever they hired to communicate the value of the product doesn't seem very good. I certainly wouldn't "reserve" sight-unseen, based on this and I'm actually in the market for a new door lock for my front door at the moment.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    sdethansdethan Posts: 1member
    Actually Gazoobee, the website states that only the *inside* portion of your deadbolt is replaced with the unit. They don't show the outside of the lock because it would be your lock. The diagram shows that the device plugs into the lock and is automated there, replacing the manual knob.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    planktonplankton Posts: 108member

I'd like more details about the lock dimensions and makers it supports before reserving—and how does it work when you have two on one door?

• Reply 7 of 23

Hacked in 5,4,3,...

• Reply 8 of 23
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Hacked in 5,4,3,...

"I bought this lock and all I got was my lousy house jail broken".
  • Reply 9 of 23
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    so what happens if someone steals your phone, finds out where you live and just walks right into your house?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

so what happens if someone steals your phone, finds out where you live and just walks right into your house?

I guess the maker never thought of that... /s

~ LeAnn Rimes - "How do I...."
  • Reply 11 of 23
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Probably the exact same thing that happens if someone steals your keys/purse/etc? The difference being you can't remote lock/wipe your house keys the way you can a phone.

• Reply 12 of 23
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    Since there's no wifi, if a guest were to go into airplane mode (or have no service) then you wouldn't get a text that they entered your house. I guess this whole system is just a simpler version of your house key, but you would still need to carry them with you as a malfunction or power outage could leave you locked out
  • Reply 13 of 23
    btracy713btracy713 Posts: 42member
    It's too much $$$. Get it down to 60 bucks, and that's reasonable
  • Reply 14 of 23
    k-o kidk-o kid Posts: 1member
    I know one place where iPhone is a key to the door, from 2008 or 2009. It's "Blow Up Hall 50 50" hotel - http://www.blowuphall5050.com/en.html#/hotel/1913301012/
  • Reply 15 of 23
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    k-o kid wrote: »
    I know one place where iPhone is a key to the door, from 2008 or 2009. It's "Blow Up Hall 50 50" hotel - http://www.blowuphall5050.com/en.html#/hotel/1913301012/

My car has this feature, as well. I can use my iPhone to lock or unlock my car (or start the engine or check fluid levels, etc).
  • Reply 16 of 23
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Now we're talking... How cool to be able to send a timed key to unlock for your friends. Simply brilliant. Ok, you forgot your keys at work, your battery is dead, now what? Wait, your neighbour is home or even a random passer by. You call your wife, she sends the timed code to unlock the door and hey presto - you're in. Simple but brilliant.

You can see where this is going, your iPhone will soon unlock your car, unlock your house, be your wallet.. Sounds scary but having one device instead of multiple keys is fantastic... Then of course, there is the old privacy issues... But hey it's cool.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    drblank wrote: »

Well, when apple brings out the smart thumb scanner on the home button - problem solved unless of course they cut your thumb off.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

My car has this feature, as well. I can use my iPhone to lock or unlock my car (or start the engine or check fluid levels, etc).

Does anyone know of a list of cars with this ability? I just spent a decent amount of time googling and could not find such a list.

• Reply 19 of 23
    citycity Posts: 522member

I will leave my iPhone under the mat? Keys work just fine.

• Reply 20 of 23
    kellya74ukellya74u Posts: 171member
    deleted