Samsung, Google to scale back giant screen sizes on new Android phones

Comments

• Reply 41 of 144

I love the mock journalism here at AI. What a misleading headline! Samsung is doing the right thing by differentiating its products and addressing multiple segments with different sized screens. Everybody wants options. Tim Cook said that customers pay Apple to make certain decisions for them. Sure, but I'm not an Apple customer because I want Apple to limit my options when it comes to basic things like screen sizes. Especially from a company that was the first to market a 17" laptop before anyone else, and first to mainstream a 30" display. I expect Apple to lead here, and it should have been Apple that was first to offer a larger screen size - not its competitors. What a missed opportunity.

You see, Mr. Cook, there are 20-somethings. Then there are 30-somethings. Then there are those of us who are 40-somethings who would like a larger screen so that we can actually read it.

• Reply 42 of 144
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well you should look up "irony" then because while you are spending your time criticising Dilger for twisting the facts around, you carefully leave out some things yourself in your criticism of him. You conveniently forget to mention the Wicks quotes (all duly referenced and backed up) that support Dilgers main contention, in an article from another source that argues the exact same thing.  

I didn't conveniently forget it, I just didn't mention it because I no more believe Wicks' reasoning or comments than I do Cook's.  I did mention what I thought was the 'real reason', that being technical difficulty in making enough large screens of adequate resolution.

Dilger is disingenuously pissing into the wind.  Samsung is successfully selling a lot of large screened phones - 10 million S4s in under a month and over 3 million Note 2s in a month.  If you were Samsung, would you be acknowledging having got it wrong and be planning an about-face?.

I don't take what CEO's of Apple say as gospel.  Look at what Steve Jobs said about 7" tablets:

Quote:

During Apple’s 4th quarter conference call, Steve Jobs stepped in to field some questions and make a few points. His biggest? 7-inch tablets are “useless” and “dead on arrival” no doubt referring to the hundreds of Android tablets in the pipeline and specifically the Samsung Galaxy Tab which is slated to be released on all four US carriers next month.

Jobs said that the 7- inch size actually has half the surface area as an iPad and users won’t enjoy the experience in the same way.

As we all know, the release of the iPad mini has been such a disaster, proving Job's was right and Samsung was wrong.

Tim Cook said that Amoled screens are awful:

Quote:

Apple CEO Tim Cook has stated that OLED (organic light-emitting diode) displays are awful.

Sure enough, a few minutes later Apple applies for a patent on a device with a curved Amoled screen.

Amoled displays, Large screen phones, 7" tablets and eye control are all completely awful ideas....up until the minute Apple makes a device incorporating one of these concepts, then it becomes a stroke of genius and the best thing since sliced bread.

• Reply 43 of 144
    "The battery size of the s4 is 3x bigger than that on the iPhone. There's a lot of engineering invested on the iPhone, unlike the garbage that samsung sell"

You make it sound like the Retina iPad pedro.
  • Reply 44 of 144
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    No. We can agree that making a phone for el cheapos alongside a proper high-end phone is an OPTION, but "wise" depends on a lot more than the existence of said option in the hands of a bunch of idiots.

Why move at all, then? My stars.

you're talking price. I'm talking screen size. The 4" screen might be great for those with perfect vision, and ladies with small hands. The 4.5-4.75" screen might be the preference for many others. They might be identically priced.

Why move at all? To get the form factor that works best for me. By Tim Cook's own words, Apple is not interested, at least in the near term, in serving my need for a larger screen. In fact, the lightning connector actually made my decision lot easier - all accessories are already obsolete.

As much as I love Apple (iMac, iPods, Apple TV, iPad, iPhones), my stuff is supposed to serve me, not the other way around.
  • Reply 45 of 144
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Since honesty and integrity are demonstratively important to Daniel Eran Dilger he'll no doubt get rid of that incorrect comparison and insert the more accurate and current one from Mobile Geeks. I can't imagine he'd leave a flawed one up after being made aware of it. image

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Honesty? Integrity? Daniel Eran Dilger? What??? Are you joking, right? image

Frankly, I find it offensive that GG would even use the words 'honesty' and 'integrity'.

• Reply 46 of 144

Quote:

"What's so hard about making smaller high-end phones?" he asked, noting that Apple's iPhone 5 is "the only high-end smartphone smaller than 4.3-inches."iPhone 5 is "the only high-end smartphone smaller than 4.3-inches."

Because saying it once just isn't enough.

Quote:

There are some people that like a big display, but there's also a lot of people that want something that's just about right. I think 'just right' is important, and we're designing so we don't disappoint those people.

So, in other words, the screen size Apple has been using is "just about right" and Sammy is only now figuring it out.

Of course, Apple critics will now contend that Apple is behind Sammy by two generations now: firstly by not making a large, unwieldy iPhone, and secondly by not reducing it's size to be "just about right".

• Reply 47 of 144
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member
    "Customers are clearly looking at the size," he said, "but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color?' The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life, the longevity of the display."

What's the "reflectivity"? And why iPhone display would have better longevity? Does Tim really know what is he talking about? And average consumer does not even know what the heck the white balance is.
  • Reply 48 of 144
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Amoled displays, Large screen phones, 7" tablets and eye control are all completely awful ideas....up until the minute Apple makes a device incorporating one of these concepts, then it becomes a stroke of genius and the best thing since sliced bread.

Shut up you ignorant.

Why are you vomiting this like if Apple release a tablet similar to the Nexus? They released a tablet with 35% (or more, much more) usable screen area. Do you know what that is? Steve's point of view is totally correct.

Amoled screens are bad, very bad when compared to those on the iPhone. Ignorant troll. The moment when they became better, they should be used.

• Reply 49 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

"Customers are clearly looking at the size," he said, "but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color?' The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life, the longevity of the display."

What's the "reflectivity"? And why iPhone display would have better longevity? Does Tim really know what is he talking about? And average consumer does not even know what the heck the white balance is.

But they know you can't read on Samsung's screens outdoors.

• Reply 50 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

"The battery size of the s4 is 3x bigger than that on the iPhone. There's a lot of engineering invested on the iPhone, unlike the garbage that samsung sell" You make it sound like the Retina iPad pedro.

And the iPad was beautiful engineered and beats all tablets on battery life by a huge margin.

The s4 has a 3x bigger battery than the iPhone and loses on every single test with the screen on.

• Reply 51 of 144
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

Before we declare this a victory for the 4" screen, can we agree that it is wise to cover both segments of the market? I am hoping my switch to this POS Android OS is only temporary!

Did you consider that what makes it a POS is that it is not optimized for usage. Cook subtly noted that Apple is the only one that reports sales to consumers in his most recent interview, so the shift away from huge screens may be because the vocal crowd wanting them may really be a small minority that will only cause a drag on profitability. They may have found out the hard way what Apple already knew and had decided not to invest in that direction. I think the unfettered customization will fade as well.  If this was really what was important to people there is no way they would have moved from MySpace which offered this to FaceBook which controls the experience.  They also spend far more time there than they ever did on MySpace.  The same hold true for iOS

• Reply 52 of 144
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    Samsung had the S3, the smaller screened S3 mini, and the larger screened Note II. Now they have the S4, S4 mini, and the rumored Note III. How is this a shift away from larger screens? Seems like they are just continuing to update their product line.

And the mini's 4.3" screen size is still larger than the iPhone 5's 4".

Well - I guess AI got what they wanted. They post a BS headline and we all come here to whine and trade jabs while AI just enjoys the traffic it generates.
  • Reply 53 of 144
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Let me try and understand the logic and premise of this article. Samsung and Motorola will both release smaller versions of their phones and somehow this is taken to mean that larger screens are being abandoned or are a failure. Is that about the gist of this article? image

It is interesting to note that even their small phone with 4.3" is still larger than the iPhone. According to Cook "Customers are clearly looking at the size," he said, "but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color?' The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life, the longevity of the display." He is certainly correct about battery life being very important. Not sure what he means about the longevity of the display since even the cheapest quality phones will certainly last more than the 2 or 3 years people tend to keep their phones. The iPhone 5 certainly has a fantastic display but so does the S4 and HTC One. With the S3 the iPhone had many obvious advantages but that is no longer true. The only real differentiator now is the size of the displays and for watching videos, playing games, and yes even surfing the web or texting the S4 offers a better experience simply for the size. From what I have read in the reviews both the S4 and HTC One allow you get through the whole day without issue. For extremely heavy users there are multiple options available for both Android and iPhone to extend your battery life with cases, usb go type devices, or extended batteries. I have an extended battery case for my iPhone 5 in fact. 

Until Apple release a larger device of course they will talk about all the reasons why they don't make one now and the disadvantages that they need to overcome before they decide to enter that market. I also have no doubt that when they make a larger display is will be gorgeous. One handed use is simply not nearly as important as it used to be now that people are watching more videos and playing games than they did in the past. Landscape mode is also used a lot more often than in the past as well when fewer apps even allowed that option. Before many apps only offered portrait but now many offer both views and many games are landscape only. 

Apple will make a larger display and even Tim Cook's comments seem to suggest they are working on it. By even listing problems that need to be overcome certainly suggests that they are addressing those issues and will release one when they are satisfied it has no compromises.  It also seems that will happen next year as opposed to this year. Perhaps this is because they are waiting for IGZO to be ready or any number of other reasons. They would certainly need a huge supply and cannot risk a delay similar to the iMac last Christmas for the iPhone so I am sure that supply is also a primary factor. 

Pricing is where it gets interesting. The 17" MBP was essentially the same as the 15"MBP but was priced considerably higher. Would a 4.8" iPhone start at $299 under contract? Would the specs in terms of the CPU/GPU be the same as the 4" version with the only differentiation being the screen size or would a larger phone allow them to also include better specs to justify a potentially higher price?  All hypothetical at this point but I don't see them pricing it the same if it comes to pass though I certainly would be grateful if they did. I can't imagine their entry model selling at higher than $299 if they want to sell in any volume. It will also be interesting to see if carriers change their subsidy policies or if T-Mobile's strategy pays off and is adopted by other carriers.

• Reply 54 of 144
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member
    But they know you can't read on Samsung's screens outdoors.

This is a myth. My GS4 display looks perfect outdoors - in shade, not in direct sunlight of cource. But LCD is not any better in direct sunlight.
  • Reply 55 of 144
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Because he wants a phone that's thin and light.

The battery size of the s4 is 3x bigger than that on the iPhone. There's a lot of engineering invested on the iPhone, unlike the garbage that samsung sells.

Are people complaining about the thickness or weight of large-screen phones? I thought the gripes had more to do with width and issues with one-handed operation.

Isn't it more likely that samsung made the battery larger to accommodate the larger and more power-hungry screen, instead of the other way around as the post I was referring to suggested?

• Reply 56 of 144
    studentxstudentx Posts: 112member
    "What's so hard about making smaller high-end phones?" he asked, noting that Apple's iPhone 5 is "the only high-end smartphone smaller than 4.3-inches."

Easy, it's hard to pack all the power and battery life the iPhone 5 has into that small of a form factor, which is they "Samsung" can't seem to make one.

Big is easy to slap together. Small is hard.
  • Reply 57 of 144
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Samsung Insider.
  • Reply 58 of 144
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Since honesty and integrity are demonstratively important to Daniel Eran Dilger he'll no doubt get rid of that incorrect comparison and insert the more accurate and current one from Mobile Geeks. I can't imagine he'd leave a flawed one up after being made aware of it. image

"Gator guy" you love to invent conspiracies and create explanations to draw attention away from reality so as to hijack the conversation to be all about you and your opinions. I don't ever see you contributing something worthwhile, so I don't read your posts. You are an unpleasant noise I filter out.

If you notice some error, report it via email and somebody will investigate and correct the minor typo you're making a big deal about, if needed. 

• Reply 59 of 144
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

As the headline is written, it is clearly incorrect. They are not reducing the size of their large screen phones. They are simply continuing to offer smaller sizes. And notice I use the word "continuing" because this is nothing new. And of course, these are consider low end Samsung phones.

Of course, a headline that reads "Samsung continues to offer low end phones with bigger screens than the iPhone" probably would not get pass the editors at an Apple fan boy site.

-kpluck

What about this headline : "Galaxy S3 explode" ?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1f5hoq/my_samsung_galaxy_s3_exploded_last_night_while_i/

• Reply 60 of 144
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Shut up you ignorant.

Why are you vomiting this like if Apple release a tablet similar to the Nexus? They released a tablet with 35% (or more, much more) usable screen area. Do you know what that is? Steve's point of view is totally correct.

Amoled screens are bad, very bad when compared to those on the iPhone. Ignorant troll. The moment when they became better, they should be used.

How very civil of you.  Enjoy your ignorance.