More cases for Apple's fifth-gen iPad give closer look at mini-like smaller bezel

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new video shows a hands-on session with a case purportedly designed for Apple's next-generation full-size iPad, suggesting once again it will feature a smaller width thanks to thinner bezels, but also revealing that the device's height may also be slightly reduced.

The video was posted by Vietnamese-language site Tinhte.vn, and offers perhaps the best look yet at how Apple's next iPad is expected to adopt thinner bezels like the iPad mini, introduced in late 2012. By holding a current iPad over the new case, the site shows how the old model is wider than the case suggests the new design will be.

It's unlikely that Apple would change the screen size of the new iPad and force developers to modify their applications, which means the change in size would likely come from a reduction in the bezel. That aligns with rumored details and leaked parts showing a new iPad design with thinner side bezels.

iPad 5

Even the heigh of the device will shrink slightly, the case suggests, as attempts to squeeze a regular iPad into the case proved unsuccessful. The difference on the height of the new iPad will not be as significant as the reduction in width, if the case is in fact based on legitimate details about Apple's fifth-generation iPad.

Adding credibility to the leaked case is the fact that Tinhte.vn has been the source of numerous accurate leaks in years past. In 2010, the site got its hands on a pre-release MacBook, while in 2011 the site showed off a prototype iPhone running a "test" build of iOS featuring an unreleased Expos?-style multitasking interface. And last year the site got its hands on a third-generation iPad before it was released to the public.

iPad 5

The same site claimed in a report in April that Apple's next-generation iPhone, frequently referred to as an "iPhone 5S," will sport a rear-facing 12-megapixel camera. The new lens is said to be capable of producing high dynamic range images and better nighttime photos.

As for the so-called "iPad 5," the new case also shows space for a centered rear microphone on the device. That aligns with a rumor that first surfaced last week, and is also supported by other pre-release cases that have been pictured on the Internet.

Thinner bezels on the new iPad are said to help make the device 25 percent lighter and 15 percent thinner. The new 9.7-inch model is expected to arrive this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I'm going to laugh if there's a repeat of the iPhone 4s miscall and they are again stuck with a ton of cases they can't sell
  • Reply 2 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I hate it. It's going to make the proper iPad as unusable as the mini.

• Reply 3 of 25
    iPad 5 vs iPad mini... it's going to be a tough choice.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, because the iPad mini is utterly unusable. Though I am not sure I see the point in drastically reducing the bezel other than for the purpose of loosing weight, but if IOS compensates for touches along the edges of the screen (while still allowing interaction), I don't have a problem with it. I am sure Apple has tested it exhaustively and trust that they don't find it unusable.

• Reply 5 of 25
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    I hope this design change kills the resale value of the gen 4 so I can pick up a used one cheap.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

Much as I like the mini for me the extra screen real estate wins out. Its more comfortable.

• Reply 7 of 25
    applehawkapplehawk Posts: 24member
    I think this is a good move. Lighter is better. When i look at where my thumbs are on the ipad it only hits on half the bezel anyway so if they get rid of half then my thumbs will go right to the edge and not interfere with the screen at all. Like anything though, once everyone gets used to it it will be fine.
  • Reply 8 of 25

I'll go with the iPad 5, should be lightning fast and more available storage?
  • Reply 9 of 25
    joshuarayerjoshuarayer Posts: 151member

Quote:

I cant believe I 100% agree with you on something lol.

• Reply 10 of 25
    joshuarayerjoshuarayer Posts: 151member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes, because the iPad mini is utterly unusable. Though I am not sure I see the point in drastically reducing the bezel other than for the purpose of loosing weight, but if IOS compensates for touches along the edges of the screen (while still allowing interaction), I don't have a problem with it. I am sure Apple has tested it exhaustively and trust that they don't find it unusable.

I dont know if iOS could compensate for touches of 3rd party apps. Apple made apps, yeah totally. But I would be concerned for any app you download from the app store thinking that you are trying to interact with said app by having your thumb hang on the edge of the screen. This would probably be an issue with games more than anything else that I can think of at the moment.

• Reply 11 of 25

I own an iPad mini and use my brother's iPad quite frequently, and I absolutely love the smaller device. The narrower bezels are far sexier than the iPad's and affect the usability of the device not at all.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

Quote:

I own the iPad Mini and it is profoundly usable. In fact I've already told the wife that the second it gets released with a retina display the money will be out of my wallet the second it is available. I can't stand how heavy the full size iPad is and how awkward it is to use.

I'd really like the option of a transparent and split keyboard though. Here's to hoping iOS 7 brings that to the table as well. I transparent split keyboard along with a retina display would make my day.

• Reply 13 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuarayer View Post

I dont know if iOS could compensate for touches of 3rd party apps. Apple made apps, yeah totally. But I would be concerned for any app you download from the app store thinking that you are trying to interact with said app by having your thumb hang on the edge of the screen. This would probably be an issue with games more than anything else that I can think of at the moment.

If this were such a major issue why has no one reported such a thing with the iPad Mini en masse? That's because it's not really an issue at all. The sky is not falling chicken little.

• Reply 14 of 25

Originally Posted by oldgirlfeelsold View Post

I own an iPad mini and use my brother's iPad quite frequently, and I absolutely love the smaller device. The narrower bezels are far sexier than the iPad's and affect the usability of the device not at all.

These are two different devices. I don't want to get into the mini's usability, but for its size, the iPad needs a wider bezel!

• Reply 15 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    paxman wrote: »
    Though I am not sure I see the point in drastically reducing the bezel other than for the purpose of loosing weight...

Other than the single most important factor.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    video says it is private...
  • Reply 17 of 25
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    trumptman wrote: »

I'd really like the option of a transparent and split keyboard though. Here's to hoping iOS 7 brings that to the table as well. I transparent split keyboard along with a retina display would make my day.

You do know we already have this split and transparent keyboard in iOS6, right? Press and hold the bottom right key.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Thinner bezels on the new iPad are said to help make the device 25 percent lighter and 15 percent thinner. The new 9.7-inch model is expected to arrive this fall.

Sure, a thinner and lighter full-sized iPad would be awesome.  But I suspect that just trimming the bezels won't make it 25% lighter.  The heaviest thing in the iPad is the battery, so for a 25% reduction, the battery needs to shrink IMHO.  Especially if the iPad "5" will be both narrower and thinner in depth.

So how can Apple shrink the battery?  Well, they might be able to improve the battery chemistry enough to make it physically smaller with the same charge capacity.  And they might be able to simply spread the battery out into more nooks and crannies within the new, smaller enclosure to make everything flatter (which wouldn't reduce its weight but would reduce its thickness.)

Or maybe Apple could use a more efficient next-gen screen technology.  The screen uses the most power of any iPad component, and there are rumors that Apple could use IGZO conductors in the next-gen iPad screen.  IGZO has 40 times better conductivity than the current transparent conductor material (amorphous silicon), so LCD panels using IGZO can be much more efficient, more transparent, and can react faster.  And, down the road, IGZO can be used in OLED panels as well.

I think Apple could do all of the above: use IGZO to drastically cut screen power consumption, pack the battery more deeply into the nooks and crannies for a thinner shape, and maybe improve battery internal design and/or chemistry.  All of which could eventually be applied to the next-gen iPad mini, iPhone, iPod touch, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro.  Looking forward to seeing what Apple will do.

• Reply 19 of 25
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

and I hate the new iMac as it's now less useable but according to you I'm wrong, so now you know how I feel.

TS confusing opinion with facts again.

• Reply 20 of 25

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

and I hate the new iMac as it's now less useable but according to you I'm wrong, so now you know how I feel.

TS confusing opinion with facts again.

That's funny; did they remove keys from the iMac keyboard? Can the cursor not go across the entire screen?

Talk about irony.