Apple's new Union Square store will not even reach fountain of controversy

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 58
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member


    Comparing the plans with satellite and streetview images, the fountain will end up roughly halfway between the Hyatt and the Apple store.

  • Reply 22 of 58
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,990member


    The Apple store should be redesigned to look like a giant replica of that horrible fountain, a giant, turd brown barrel shaped building...


     


    ...that should shut the critics up.

  • Reply 23 of 58


    Free advertising for Apple. 


     


    There's enough room between the fountain and the Apple building for Samscum to set up a push-cart phone store...

  • Reply 24 of 58
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member


    Palomino !  Pal amino !


     


    Had to use my safe word,  this whole story and the comments it generates is about to make me die laughing.


     


    San Francisco is a great town to visit.   

  • Reply 25 of 58
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,457member
    All of this "controversy" simply glosses over one central truth: that fountain is HIDEOUS.

    I thought the universal truth reinforced is that the politician unable to reason a way out of a wet paper bag, can stand up a strawman, have it debunked by [insert sane body here] and will somehow be perceived as pure and good because his/her/its intentions were in the right place.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 1,859member
    Sorry... Been there many times... That's the BACK side of the Levi's building... just make Apple move the "landmark" into the square where it might be seen by many, many, many, many more people if that's frigging important. I'm not going to debate what a great piece of art it is as that's ALWAYS been in the eyes of the beholder... But to say removing it would be a travesty is just another anti-Apple exclamation of ineptitude.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,457member
    hill60 wrote: »
    The Apple store should be redesigned to look like a giant replica of that horrible fountain, a giant, turd brown barrel shaped building...

    ...that should shut the critics up.

    Would just bring out a different set of critics and politicians. Cost of doing business in the area.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 19,167member
    djones34 wrote: »
    The people who live and work in this area are the real experts and they (we) are upset.

    I think you forgot your '/s' tag at the end?

    Unless you were being serious, of course. In which case, please change my post to 'LOL.'
  • Reply 29 of 58
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 19,167member
    Deleted
  • Reply 30 of 58
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member


    Quite frankly, Apple should stop f*cking around and future-proof every Apple store by building them like this...


     


  • Reply 31 of 58
    ewtheckmanewtheckman Posts: 309member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



    Where on that city assessor's map is fountain located? To be clear, the proposed Apple Store location is the area in blue?


     


    Maps on iOS shows the area in 3D. It really makes it pretty easy to get the lay of the land.


     


    Based on the shadows in the image under iOS, it looks like the only reason there's any light at all in that plaza is because of the weird triangular building. I could see the replacement of that with a square building (of any design) possibly putting the entire plaza permanently into shadow. (Note: This assessment is based entirely on the iOS Maps image which is static. I could easily be wrong about that.)

  • Reply 32 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ewtheckman wrote: »
    Maps on iOS shows the area in 3D. It really makes it pretty easy to get the lay of the land.

    Based on the shadows in the image under iOS, it looks like the only reason there's any light at all in that plaza is because of the weird triangular building. I could see the replacement of that with a square building (of any design) possibly putting the entire plaza permanently into shadow. (Note: This assessment is based entirely on the iOS Maps image which is static. I could easily be wrong about that.)

    I just brought it up in Google Maps (hope we hear of Apple Maps via a web browser in 10 days). The space between the buildings appears to be mostly East and West which is at least the best possible design for getting light throughout the day. The tall Hyatt is on the North side so that's also good. This Apple Store looks to be about 30 feet in the mock up. I could see several months of the year with the fountain being shaded but I'd think there are many months where the sun can shine on it with the proposed plan. Anyone want to run the numbers to make sure?

    But is that really an issue? If it's a work of art isn't it getting seen by more people a good thing? How you can not ask for a better endorsement than being right outside an Apple Store?
  • Reply 33 of 58
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,990member


    Drawing on my skills as a Photoshop Pixelmator drawing guy and past experience as a boy scout, I have prepared a diagram showing the fountain and stuff:-


     


     


  • Reply 34 of 58
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member


    Apple has offered a comprise.  


     


    To make more room for the fountain they will shrink the Union Square store by making it the first Apple store without a Genius Bar.


     


    Rumor websites that track Apple closely reported that there could be more to this move by Apple, noting that online job listings that have never been filled show the company had been unable to find anyone capable of filling the Genius positions in San Francisco.  

  • Reply 35 of 58
    Thank you for accurate reporting... a treasure these days. I have been by that "plaza" many times and it is always in the shade and nobody is there.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,151member


    God forbid something is built there that people actually want to go to and spend time in. More that one can say for that fountain, which noone gave a shit about until it became an excuse to villify Apple and start shrieking. 


     


    I wonder the amt of people that would visit that fountain, compared to the amt of ppl that would visit the Apple store. I have a feeling the ratio is something like 1:1000

  • Reply 37 of 58
    Dan, you've taken great pains to illustrate your point of view, but really you're not doing a very good job of bringing me to your side. This opinion piece makes you sound like a troll, and frankly a bit of a buffoon when it comes to architecture or urbanism.

    From reading this and other articles on the subject, I am actually more inclined to diss this store design as one of Foster's duds (and yes there are a few), or one of Apple's.

    The box proposed box isn't adding to this urban experience at all. Something more akin to the Upper West Side Apple Store in New York would be a better model for this location. Using the triangle as a frame to work within might also be something to consider--perhaps build a glass box through it would be a more interesting solution. This store design should be reconsidered, and not because of the fountain or steps, although they're not bad in my opinion.

    One thing you got right, though, is that the Levis store is a mess. I think having an Apple Store at this location could be great, and should be better.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    adamcadamc Posts: 572member
    djones34 wrote: »
    Everyone is fixating on this fountain and plaza but the big issue is that the new building will simply be out of character for Union Square and Stockton St. Instead of a nice plaza and stairs that wander down to Stockton, there is going to be this monolithic aluminum-looking, harsh, wall on Stockton. It will completely change the character there and won't fit in with the rest of the surrounding architecture.

    The author of this story doesn't appear to have an eye for this sort of thing and seems to be overly... Apple-apologetic. This is San Francisco and just because it's Apple doesn't mean it's an automatically given thing that it will happen.

    The people who live and work in this area are the real experts and they (we) are upset.

    LOL, upset, yes build your own so you wouldn't be.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    crowleycrowley Posts: 5,834member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    And while King fondly referred the the fountain's "popular plaza," the reality is that space is both literally and figuratively cold and barren. Even on a beautiful day like today, there were very few people using the plaza even at lunch. Two of the six people in the plaza area appeared to be TV reporters capturing footage to report on King's tempest in a teapot.

     


     


    If this is true, why are Apple building a store in a plaza that no one goes to?  Seems like a dud location.

  • Reply 40 of 58
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    crowley wrote: »
    If this is true, why are Apple building a store in a plaza that no one goes to?  Seems like a dud location.
    The plaza is at the rear of this proposed Apple store.
    The front is facing Union Square, a nice park and very lively, as shown in the photos in this article.
Sign In or Register to comment.