iPad mini front panel falsely claimed to be part for Apple's 'iPad 5' [updated]

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new image emerged Friday claiming to show what looks to be a full-size fifth-generation iPad's front panel, again showing design cues taken from the iPad mini, but it was ultimately discovered that the image is actually an iPad mini part.

Update: The image shows an iPad mini front panel, and is not a component for Apple's anticipated fifth-generation iPad, according to Nowhereelse.fr.

iPad

The image showed up on Chinese site Apple.pro and shows the rear side of what appears to be the front casing for an as yet unreleased iPad 5. The panel bears all of the holes and markings that typify Apple's tablets ? including a hole for the Home button and FaceTime camera ? and the connector for the touchscreen component.

The panel bears the same thin bezel seen with Apple's iPad mini, which observers expect will serve as the design guidepost for the next full-size iPad. Images and video of potential iPad 5 cases have borne the same design cues, with a thinner overall body .

The next full-size iPad is expected to retain the screen size of its predecessors, if only to application development for the device easy. Recent rumors suggest that Apple may add a centered rear microphone to the device to help in audio recording.

The rumored new iPad's thinner bezels are said to make the device 25 percent lighter and 15 percent thinner. The new iPad, new iPad mini, and the next generation of iPhones and iPods are all expected to arrive some time in the fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Just take my preorder already!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The next full-size iPad is expected to retain the screen size of its predecessors, if only to application development for the device easy.

How about keeping 4:3 because it's better for *everything* except watching video?

• Reply 3 of 10
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    MR has an update that it's an iPad mini part.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Well, how big is it?

These leakers should always have a spy ruler and a spy camera on hand. image

• Reply 5 of 10
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Just take my preorder already!

I have the first model in constant use and so yes, I'm with you.

I often have my thumbs resting on the bezel. However, sensing the larger area being contacted could lead to that touch being ignored.

All the best.

• Reply 6 of 10
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Perspective in the image makes proportioning features a little difficult, however, the proportions of unit width to (circular) button opening certainly suggest an iPad Mini part. On the full size iPad (first generation) the distance from bezel edge to button opening is 90 mm, then 10 mm across the opening and another 90 mm to the opposite edge for a total of 190 mm. The proportions in the image seem quite different to those.

• Reply 7 of 10
    "The next full-size iPad is expected to retain the screen size of its predecessors, [B]if only to application development for the device easy."[/B]

Hahaha! Good one, AppleInsider. "Keep the work up good." /s
  • Reply 8 of 10
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

My thought, too. Based purely on the thinness of the bezel. I really can't see they would reduce it that much. It looks awfully thin for a full size iPad.

• Reply 9 of 10
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    No it's actually for a Samsung product. /s
  • Reply 10 of 10
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member

I'm not convinced the image shown is anything but an iPad Mini part.  There's no perspective to make one assume it's for a full size iPad.  

Regardless, I definitely don't like the idea of slimming the non-touch sides of the iPad.  Yea, I know it works fine on the iPad Mini, it just doesn't work for me from an aesthetics point of view.  I have a 3rd gen iPad and all I really want from an upgrade is a faster processor, slimmer silhouette and a reduction in the weight.