Editorial: Apple's iOS 7 needs exclusive, distinctive features, not just a flat UI

1789101113»

Comments

• Reply 241 of 257
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    matt_s wrote: »

Perhaps. It would still be nice if it displayed the actual temperature & weather at the current location. It's a bit ridiculous that's it's always 73 no matter what. So much for "smart" phone. eh? ;-)

That requires more power to constantly check as your device moves it's location. With the calendar it's only changing once every 24 hours. A solution would be to just check every x duration or when y distance on geo-fence is crossed but that's pretty simple so we have to wonder why Apple hasn't done that. They care about battery life? Would that still affect it too much or would, say, checking it every hour still be too much or be pointless because people would still want to make sure by accessing the app to force a recent check? Surely you can't have it check constantly.

A more complex solution would be for Apple to use the geo-fence idea with push notifications. For instance, if your location moves outside the geo-fence for the app it send the Apple Weather Server your new coordinates. The server then checks to see the weather and if it's different from the last temperature it sent the device. When the temp changes the server pushes the new value to the device which means no back and forth with a request, just an acknowledgment.
  • Reply 242 of 257
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member
    Hey Apple, have you magically made the file system disappear yet? No? Then give us access to it. iOS is less powerful than Android or Windows Phone for the one simple fact that it has a file system but tries to pretend it doesn't.
    Also widgets. Please.
  • Reply 243 of 257
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That requires more power to constantly check as your device moves it's location. With the calendar it's only changing once every 24 hours. A solution would be to just check every x duration or when y distance on geo-fence is crossed but that's pretty simple so we have to wonder why Apple hasn't done that. They care about battery life? Would that still affect it too much or would, say, checking it every hour still be too much or be pointless because people would still want to make sure by accessing the app to force a recent check? Surely you can't have it check constantly.

A more complex solution would be for Apple to use the geo-fence idea with push notifications. For instance, if your location moves outside the geo-fence for the app it send the Apple Weather Server your new coordinates. The server then checks to see the weather and if it's different from the last temperature it sent the device. When the temp changes the server pushes the new value to the device which means no back and forth with a request, just an acknowledgment.

Would be nice to receive weather info the way we receive time from our carriers, passively.
  • Reply 244 of 257
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

For weather, the location change part is easy:  just notice if the cell id changes.  That's virtually free, and iOS has a location change API that does that. 

As for refresh, weather widgets on Android let you set the refresh frequency, anywhere from 1/2 hour to every 12 hours.  The preset seems to be about 3 hours.  That's not much data / battery usage.

Or also, as you suggested, they could use notifications for major changes or alerts.

• Reply 245 of 257
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    kdarling wrote: »
    For weather, the location change part is easy:  just notice if the cell id changes.  That's virtually free, and iOS has a location change API that does that. 

As for refresh, <span style="line-height:1.231;">weather widgets on Android let you set the refresh frequency, anywhere from 1/2 hour to every 12 hours.  The preset seems to be about 3 hours.  That's not much data / battery usage.</span>

Or also, as you suggested, they could use notifications for major changes or alerts.

Carriers already do severe weather alerts. I've received quite a few warnings lately for flash flooding and high winds.
  • Reply 246 of 257
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Hey Apple, have you magically made the file system disappear yet? No?

… Yes…

iOS is less powerful than Android or Windows Phone for the one simple fact that it has a file system but tries to pretend it doesn't.

"iOS is more powerful than Android or Windows Phone for the one simple fact that it's not a stolen product."

See, I can do it, too.

Also widgets. Please.

Go buy Android.

• Reply 247 of 257
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member

Quote:

I understand your concern but I don't think it requires all that much power. It doesn't need to be refreshed every nanosecond - just occasionally, making an extremely mitigated impact on battery life. Android does this simply, I think Apple could do it better (if they bothered to). It's just ridiculous that it wasn't designed that way in the first place - but remember how long it took Apple (years) just to change the Dock icon of iCal to reflect today's date.

They can fix what they output, too... a big issue in iTunes that impacts iOS is updating apps - clicking on an app opens a panel listing the new changes, but for some reason known only to Apple, this no longer indicates what iOS version is required or the compatible devices. If you have a older model with a legacy iOS version, you run the risk of over-writing key software. This is ridiculous as well.

To gather this information manually, you're forced to right-click each individual app, traverse the iTunes Store, and then scroll and scroll. It's a pain. An absurd pain.

A better way would be if iPhone was actually a "smart phone," and knew what iOS version you were operating. Or if Tunes didn't offer updates it knew you couldn't actually use. Doesn't it know what devices you're syncing & what version of iOS is being used? Well, yes, it's just not using that data smartly.

• Reply 248 of 257

Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

A better way would be if iPhone was actually a "smart phone,"

Okay, enough of that.

…and knew what iOS version you were operating. Or if Tunes didn't offer updates it knew you couldn't actually use.

In six years, I've had this problem ONCE, with an Apple app, and it was fixed.

• Reply 249 of 257
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Weather is available on the notification pull-down menu, same with stocks.
  • Reply 250 of 257

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yeah, but only on the iPod touch and iPhone, not the iPad.

• Reply 251 of 257
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    matt_s wrote: »

I understand your concern but I don't think it requires all that much power. It doesn't need to be refreshed every nanosecond - just occasionally, making an extremely mitigated impact on battery life. Android does this simply, I think Apple could do it better (if they bothered to). It's just ridiculous that it wasn't designed that way in the first place - but remember how long it took Apple (years) just to change the Dock icon of iCal to reflect today's date.

They can fix what they output, too... a big issue in iTunes that impacts iOS is updating apps - clicking on an app opens a panel listing the new changes, but for some reason known only to Apple, this no longer indicates what iOS version is required or the compatible devices. If you have a older model with a legacy iOS version, you run the risk of over-writing key software. This is ridiculous as well.

To gather this information manually, you're forced to right-click each individual app, traverse the iTunes Store, and then scroll and scroll. It's a pain. An absurd pain.

A better way would be if iPhone was actually a "smart phone," and knew what iOS version you were operating. Or if Tunes didn't offer updates it knew you couldn't actually use. Doesn't it know what devices you're syncing & what version of iOS is being used? Well, yes, it's just not using that data smartly.

I personally think it's possible but I can't help but at least try to look at from the vendor's PoV. If it's so easy to implement, useful, and heavily requested, with an assumed lack of negative effect in other places then why hasn't it been done?
  • Reply 252 of 257
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Yeah, but only on the iPod touch and iPhone, not the iPad.

That's a bit of a downer. The main programs aren't included with iPads either.
  • Reply 253 of 257

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's a bit of a downer. The main programs aren't included with iPads either.

That's probably the reason they're not in NC. iOS needs to be 1:1 with itself. It's ludicrous that it isn't. Similarly, iWork needs to be 1:1 between iOS and OS X. It's ludicrous that it isn't.

• Reply 254 of 257

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay, enough of that.

In six years, I've had this problem ONCE, with an Apple app, and it was fixed.

Well, that's why you didn't ask for that. Just because it won't help you doesn't mean it isn't needed.

• Reply 255 of 257
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Speaking as a guy that's loved (and bought) apple products for the past 12 years, but got board of his iPhone. Isn't that still a similar effort to opening the app.

Maybe Im interested in the weather to much, but on my windows phone I have it on the lock screen and a large live tile. It regularly updates, doesn't seem to affect the battery at all and provides nice lock screen wallpapers.
  • Reply 256 of 257

Quote:

I personally think it's possible but I can't help but at least try to look at from the vendor's PoV. If it's so easy to implement, useful, and heavily requested, with an assumed lack of negative effect in other places then why hasn't it been done?

Why did it take years and years and years for the iCal Dock icon to actually display the real (today's) date?

Why has it taken 10+ years for Apple to not fix the Finder?

The vendor's POV = what's the least amount of resources we can assign to generate the most amount of cash.

• Reply 257 of 257
    Every single feature you suggest would bloat UI for a functionality maybe, if lucky, used by a few. Business card recognition? Adding smileys and media to basic notes? Just lousy suggestions.

Using iOS on iPhone after using a Metro UI based windows phone for a while makes me feel as awkward and suicidal as using a windows 7 or 8 laptop feels after having been on OSX for years.

Apple definitely needs to change something in iOS, at least for the phone if not tablet as well. Though I think the modern adobe like color branding and iconography will be a hard sell. At least as hard as the silhouette ipod advertising by Susan Alinsangan was. A certain success and impressionable impact but not something that will be as long lived or central as say the move from candy colored shells to aluminum. It will last some years but it's inception will already inspire and spawn the next internal "refresh" working group.