Apple to release slimmer Retina MacBook Pro with upgraded camera, insider reveals

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Along with an expected CPU upgrade to Intel's Haswell silicon, KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicts Apple will introduce a slimmed down 13-inch Retina display MacBook Pro with a higher quality FaceTime camera at its upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference.

rMBP

In a report to investors, Kuo, who has in the past proved reliable in predicting Apple's product plans, says he expects minor changes to the MacBook Pro with Retina display and MacBook Air product lines will be a hardware highlight of WWDC 2013.

The analyst notes Apple's 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro will sport a thinner chassis as the company pushes toward a more portable form factor for its smallest high-end offering. In addition, the Pro models are expected to sport an improved FaceTime HD camera, which could move from a current resolution of 720p to 1080p, or "Full HD."

Apple's new Retina MacBook Pro models are expected to feature Intel's latest-generation Haswell processors, which offer more horsepower with lower power consumption, leading to longer battery life.

WWDC 2013 is scheduled to run from June 10 through 14 in San Francisco. Apple recently revealed that it will preview the forthcoming iterations of iOS and OS X at the conference, both of which are likely to be discussed during an opening keynote speech.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 246
    yazolightyazolight Posts: 118member

Quote:

The analyst predicts the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro will sport a thinner chassis as Apple pushes toward a more portable form factor for its smallest high-end offering. In addition, the Pro models are expected to sport an improved FaceTime HD camera, which could move from a current resolution of 720p to 1080p, or "Full HD."

YAY! I really hope it gets true, the current one is a shame. I was the only one who was asking for an improved camera, but I guess if this happen to be true everybody will be praising it.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/157313/is-the-mbpr-webcam-keeping-up-the-comparison-with-the-iphone-5-camera#post_2325768

• Reply 2 of 246
    These 3 Donald Trumps at the bottom are freaking me out.
  • Reply 3 of 246
    tikimantikiman Posts: 68member

I'm all for phasing out the older non-Retina Pros, but I really hope these models have a different way of dealing with battery replacement (other than having them being glued in).

I go through enough batteries that I am concerned about the ability to get them replaced for the lifetime (more than 4 years, typically) I own the product.

• Reply 3 of 246
    macharry demacharry de Posts: 126member
    Is Apple on the road to merge the Air and MBP to one ultra device? Sounds great!
  • Reply 5 of 246
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Please announce a new 15-inch too, Apple.

• Reply 6 of 246
    This "analyst" appears to be speaking in utter horse shit. Apple pushes chassis design life cycles FAR longer than the MBP has been around. Haswell updates all around and a Retina panel on the Air make considerably more sense from an engineering, user experience and marketing standpoint.
  • Reply 7 of 246
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

The air might get a re-design, the rMBPs, seriously doubt it.

• Reply 8 of 246
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    This "analyst" appears to be speaking in utter horse shit. Apple pushes chassis design life cycles FAR longer than the MBP has been around. Haswell updates all around and a Retina panel on the Air make considerably more sense from an engineering, user experience and marketing standpoint.
    If they add retina to the air- what is the benefit to the rMBP?
    People keep talking about retina for the air- I don't think we see it ever. I think it gets discontinued or they combine before that happens.
  • Reply 9 of 246
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Please announce a new 15-inch too, Apple.

Yes.  15" MBA retina or not and I'm in!

• Reply 10 of 246
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

People keep talking about retina for the air- I don't think we see it ever. I think it gets discontinued or they combine before that happens.

The processor;

16gb ram;

HOPEFUlly a 750m on the 13" and SLI 750m on the 15".

• Reply 11 of 246
    markkmarkk Posts: 13member
    I don't mind the normal pro not getting haswell but I'd love to know now, I was waiting to buy one in case it did get haswell but if it doesn't, tomorrow Mediamarkt will have 21% discount on everything and that's double the education discount.
  • Reply 12 of 246
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tikiman wrote: »
    I'm all for phasing out the older non-Retina Pro's, but I really hope these models have a different way of dealing with battery replacement (other than having them being glued in).

I go through enough batteries that I am concerned about the ability to get them replaced for the lifetime (more than 4 years, typically) I own the product.

How often are you having your batteries replaced?
  • Reply 13 of 246
    markk wrote: »
    I don't mind the normal pro not getting haswell but I'd love to know now, I was waiting to buy one in case it did get haswell but if it doesn't, tomorrow Mediamarkt will have 21% discount on everything and that's double the education discount.

Considering 1) these updates will be coming after Haswell is released, 2) Apple having a long history of using the latest Intel notebook-class chips, and 3) Apple wanting to use a CPU that uses a lot less power I think it's a safe bet that it will be Haswell. If not, what would they update to?
  • Reply 14 of 246
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    No 11" MBA sale to me without an improved screen.
  • Reply 15 of 246
    andysol wrote: »

¿Que? The MBP has plenty of features the MBA don't. There is no 15" MBA and there is no 11" MBP are the most obvious. Then you have processor, RAM, ports, battery life, GPU, etc. The MBPs are simply more capable and more powerful than the MBA. Did you have the same issue with the non-Retina MBPs against the MBAs?
  • Reply 16 of 246
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Probably not that often to even justify commenting on. I've seen no indication that this glue creates any real problem if you know what you are doing. It does however off Apple a real mechanical improvement to their machines that result in a more rugged machine.
  • Reply 17 of 246
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    solipsismx wrote: »

I think batteries are a concern. I have a mid-2007 MBP which I'm on my third battery, not counting one that was replaced (I think) due to the Sony defective battery recall. The dead batteries started pillowing pretty quickly, so you really want to get it replaced within a few days of dying, if you can't pre-empt it by getting it before it goes. On at least one, I didn't have a notice that it was dying, it just quit charging.
  • Reply 18 of 246
    tikimantikiman Posts: 68member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Our personal average is 3-4 battery replacements before we typically move to a new computer (older machines end up sticking around for secondary uses (kids, kitchen/recipes/browsing, etc.). I realize this is a longer lifecycle than for some people, but these are good machines and I hate to throw them out just because their batteries are no longer up to snuff and when they can still be useful.

• Reply 19 of 246
    jeffdm wrote: »
    I think batteries are a concern. I have a mid-2007 MBP which I'm on my third battery, not counting one that was replaced (I think) due to the Sony defective battery recall. The dead batteries started pillowing pretty quickly, so you really want to get it replaced within a few days of dying, if you can't pre-empt it by getting it before it goes. On at least one, I didn't have a notice that it was dying, it just quit charging.

I assume your 2007 model uses the older 300 charge batteries before it gets to 80%. That means it could happen every year for a normal user but I don't think Apple moved to the built0in batteries until the 1000 cycle batteries.

This is my 2010 13' MBP battery. It's never been changed but after 3 years of use it has nearly 700 full cycles used and is at 80%. I tried to get Apple to replace it for free since they claim 1000 charges before it reaches 80% capacity but they wouldn't.

Still, I don't see this as an issue since it's not a defective battery and if I have to pay $129 every 3 or 2 years (lets say someone completely discharges their battery once per day every day for 2 years and has the same results as I do) I don't think the expense is a big deal. Certainly not big enough to warrant Apple killing the entire line so it can support 1) users who want multiple internal batteries, and 2) uses who want to save a couple dollars by replacing their own battery. It's clear that most users simply don't want to carry multiple batteries or every have battery problems they have to pay for with their notebooks.
  • Reply 20 of 246
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    These 3 Donald Trumps at the bottom are freaking me out.

NEWSMAX ads. Ignore that shit.