New Powerbook Combo Drive problem!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just got my new Powerbook G4 1Ghz/Combo a couple days ago and it's really a sweet machine except for one thing... So far I've found one CD that it wouldn't read at all (drive makes noise for about 20 seconds, then ejects it with no error message or anything) and another CD that it seems to have a lot of trouble reading even though it does mount. They both worked fine on my external CDRW drive. I tried using a cleaning CD, but it had no results. By the way, don't try it, cause after it came out, the brush was broken off (luckily the brush came out as well). Any suggestions?? I really don't want to send it in for repairs!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Just to update, I tried it in OS 9 and it does the same thing...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Well, another update. Seems that the CD that partially worked now behaves just like the one that didn't work at all, plus I've found one more that doesn't work. And I actually looked at the clock when it was trying to read them this time and it's really more like 40 seconds. By the way, one of the CDs is a CD-R and the other two are originals.

• Reply 3 of 3
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    As I always tend to think: this is what warranty is for. Have Apple put in a new drive, and save yourself some pain. As I wrote somewhere yesterday: better to get rid of the problem with a little annoyance (having to miss the 'book for a day or two, three) than hack a fix now and be sorry later, when the warranty is run out.

This kind of thing is most likely a hardware issue, and should hence be fixed by a hardware professional.