Purported iOS 7 screens may show flat effects of Jony Ive's influence

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Skeuomorphism appears to be on the way out in the newest version of Apple's iOS platform, as a new screenshot claims to show iOS 7 with aspects of the much anticipated "flat" design aesthetic brought in by Sir Jony Ive.

no stairway

The shot, while blurry, shows what is alleged to be an unreleased version of iOS running on likely an iPhone 4S or iPhone 4. The build does not appear to bear any massive changes to the user interface, but a close look shows that the icons are less complicated than they are in current builds of iOS, and a reconstruction of the images by iDownloadBlog shows why: they are missing a layer of gloss.

screenshot

Many app icons in current builds of iOS ? including the App Store, Music, iTunes, Compass, Clock, Safari, and others ? feature a layer of gloss, a translucent layer over part of the icon that makes it appear to "pop" with a three-dimensional effect. The purported new build of iOS, though, abandons this effect, giving all of Apple's stock icons a unified, "flat" look.

The flat look is said to be one of the pet projects for Apple design head Jony Ive. Made head of not only hardware design but interface design in the wake of Scott Forstall's ouster, Ive is reported to have immediately begun pushing the software and hardware teams at Apple to begin working more closely.

no skeuo

Supposedly one of the first things up for reworking was the "skeuomorphic" aesthetic ? epitomized by things like the Calendar app's faux stitched leather interface or the green felt table in Game Center ? seen throughout iOS. Ive's guidance, though, has also led to the disappearance of some other aspects of the operating system.

The Weather icon appears to no longer have a static display of 73 degrees as its temperature. Also, the Settings and Reminders app icons may lose their borders, as they are the only two among Apple's 24 stock icons that include a defined border. The Game Center icon, too, has seen significant changes, and now appears to feature a much simpler design.

Apple is scheduled to reveal the newest versions of not only iOS but also Mac OS X at next week's WWDC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 107
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member

Getting rid of the gloss wasn't top of my priority list for UI change. I hope there is more in the actual apps.

• Reply 2 of 107
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

Camera icon is WAY better.

Weather icon is balanced nicely but doesn't seem to fit in.

Safari icon looks too busy.

• Reply 3 of 107
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member
    This is making me excited for some big changes at WWDC! Those icons already look cleaner and brighter, even if not drastically so.
  • Reply 4 of 107
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

The neon green on the Phone icon is too much.

Music icon looks kind of weak; too small.

Scrapping the border on Settings looks great.

• Reply 5 of 107
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    But Newstand isn't changed? I call BS.
  • Reply 6 of 107
    japmjapm Posts: 36member

Really?

You had to make this detailed INFO GRAPHIC just to explain that it's not glossy anymore?

C'mon... image

• Reply 7 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. No UI gloss, still richly colored and deeply detailed. I want a more pronounced drop shadow, but that's me.

If real, I love it.

• Reply 8 of 107

It would be nice if the Weather app displayed dynamic content like the current temperature, like Calendar shows the current date.

• Reply 9 of 107
    You guys are acting a bit like this is great...it's halfassed. The icons aren't really any different (at least from what we can tell from this 1992 QuickTake blurrycam pic) and some of them like weather, safari and mail still feature useless design "chaff": i.e. Do we REALLY need the sky background on the mail icon? Seriously?
  • Reply 10 of 107
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

It could be possible that this is an earlier build.  Things change even during the beta process.  

• Reply 11 of 107
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    I hope having something as trivial as new icons is an indicator that they've already completed more important functional improvements iOS needs. I don't really care if it's got a pretty new skin.
  • Reply 12 of 107
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What kind of idiot can't take a sharp photo these days?
  • Reply 13 of 107
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I don't see what the big deal is about this. So, some of the Apple icons will look slightly different? That's hardly a huge OS overhaul. If there are some great new features in iOS7, then fine, but I don't really give a crap about these icons at all. Do I really care if an icon has a gloss layer or not? 

I hide some of the Apple apps in folders, the ones that I don't use. And I'd imagine that most people's screens are covered with third party app icons, which can be anything from glossy and colorful to dull and boring. Is Apple going to demand only "flat" icons from now on, even from third party developers? I doubt it. I fail to see how Apple changing some it's own icons will drastically change the look or feel of iOS. 

I look forward to some new features in iOS7, but I can't get excited over a few icons.

• Reply 14 of 107
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What kind of idiot can't take a sharp photo these days?

The photographer was using an Android phone.

• Reply 15 of 107
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Much more subtle than I expected, couldn't tell the difference between old and new at first.
  • Reply 16 of 107
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fradette View Post

It would be nice if the Weather app displayed dynamic content like the current temperature, like Calendar shows the current date.

Even nicer would be to delete it altogether if I don't want it on my iPhone. :D
  • Reply 17 of 107
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Subtle changes, but definitely looks more refined. I like it.
  • Reply 18 of 107

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The photographer was using an Android phone.

image image image

• Reply 19 of 107

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Subtle changes, but definitely looks more refined. I like it.

You have to keep in mind this is likely phony.

• Reply 20 of 107
    Wow, and I thought everything was going to be black and white from what was reported previously :)