Apple's official WWDC 2013 iOS app now available

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

All indications are that it will be toned down, and that the glossy highlights will be gone, but that otherwise things will still be 3D.  

Agree.  The glossy highlights, as nice as they were, added a certain "heaviness" to the whole UI.  An extra layer on top of the buttons, icons, etc.  But who knows?  Maybe some things will still be glossy.  I can wait until the big reveal next week.  Should be very interesting to see who guessed right an who guessed wrong.

And as for 3D, Apple has applied for and has been granted several patents related to simulated 3D mobile and desktop GUI imagery.  Also apparently for 3D television:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/02/apple-wins-a-foundational-3d-interface-patent-that-might-be-timely.html

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2009/12/apple-preparing-os-x-for-new-high-end-3d-interface.html

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2010/05/apple-reveals-extraordinary-multifunctional-3d-widgets-.html

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2011/07/apple-reinvents-how-3d-displays-could-one-day-deliver-content.html

• Reply 22 of 44
    The retina MacBook Pro, the redesigned iMac, the iPhone 5, the iPad mini, the iPod touch 5, the iPod nano 7, the Apple TV 3, the iPad 4, the MacBook Air, the Mac Mini, the camera-less iPod touch…

That can't be said with accuracy.

I know all that. All those products had Steve Jobs' input to some degree. Even if the ipad mini didn't, it encompasses all the design cues of products he did have input in. iOS 7's design had no input from him at any stage of its development.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    rogifan wrote: »
    Check out the app from last year. Basically the same as this years app. Since this app is used once a year and for a specific purpose I don't think we should read in to the design of it. Especially assuming it has any meaning on what iOS 7 will look like.

I only meant the icon, not the interface.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

The strange thing about the app icon is how undesigned it is. One could come upon that design either by having a very strict sense of aesthetic guidelines, or simply by not really giving a crap. But it may look better when the entire interface is uniform. Has it been mentioned that this is probably the first major thing Apple has done without Steve Jobs approval? Intriguing.

Hardly "undesigned."  The Apple logo has evolved through two stages over the decades.  The current monochrome design (1998-present) was, in fact, Steve Jobs' idea.  The old rainbow logo (1976-1998) was difficult to print with accurate colors.  And we all know what a perfectionist Steve was.  But no, this isn't the first major thing Apple has done without Steve Jobs approval.  Guess again.

Also, remember that the WWDC app isn't really designed for the mass market.  Mostly for WWDC attendees, and only really useful for the week of WWDC anyway. So maybe it's the target audience of the app, the WWDC attendees, who really don't "give a crap," to paraphrase your expression.

• Reply 25 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

iOS 7's design had no input from him at any stage of its development.

Which you know, somehow, because…

Ah, wait, we can't know that, ever, at any time.

• Reply 26 of 44
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Hardly "undesigned."  The Apple logo has evolved through two stages over the decades.  The current monochrome design (1998-present) was, in fact, Steve Jobs' idea.  The old rainbow logo (1976-1998) was difficult to print with accurate colors.  And we all know what a perfectionist Steve was.  But no, this isn't the first major thing Apple has done without Steve Jobs approval.  Guess again.

Also, remember that the WWDC app isn't really designed for the mass market.  Mostly for WWDC attendees, and only really useful for the week of WWDC anyway. So maybe it's the target audience of the app, the WWDC attendees, who really don't "give a crap," to paraphrase your expression.

The Apple logo was already designed, but its just the logo plastered to a purple square with round edges. I could have done that. You people are too defensive! I'm not pre-judging iOS 7. I don't think Apple is lacking for perfectionists. I do think the icon reflects the thinking that's going into iOS 7's look.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Yeah, how many major things has Apple released since Steve Jobs died? We know he was involved with all the major products, he even came around on the iPad Mini. iOS 7 is shine, gloss, depth, and Steve-free.

Oh, not much. Completely ignoring 2001, and only in 2012:

- Completely redesigned 15" MBP with highest resolution laptop  of that size in the world

- Completely redesigned 13" MBP with highest resolution laptop of that size in the world

- New iPad with Retina display- again, massive achievement

- Completely redesigned iPod touch

- Completely redesigned iPod nano

- Completely redesigned iMac- most significant change in years

- Completely redesigned iPhone- 1st change in screen size/aspect ratio since inception

- iPad mini- Completely new iPad line

- 4th generation iPad- fastest refresh in their history

- refreshed Macbook Airs

- refreshed classic MBPs

- refreshed Mac mini

- refreshed Apple TV

- Biggest Apple TV interface change in its history

- New iTunes- most significant update since it first launched a decade ago

- New iOS appstore- biggest update since it 1st launched in 2008

- iOS 6- major release of iOS

- OSX 10.8- major release of OSX

- New maps- launched a completely new mapping product from the ground up, not an insignificant accomplishment

- Transition to new dock connector + cable for all products, 1st change in the last decade

- Completely redesigned headphones

- A6 and A6X chips- first Apple custom designed chips, and the best on the market

- significant updates to all OSX/iOS apps

Yeah, every single detail of the development of all these hardware/software products were signed and sealed by Steve Jobs. Yup. /s

• Reply 28 of 44
    Which you know, somehow, because…

Ah, wait, we can't know that, ever, at any time.

Why can't we know that? Jony Ive and his team weren't working on software design. Now they are. The end.
  • Reply 29 of 44

Why can't we know that?

You're claiming to be able to know, not only what is in iOS 7, but that EVERY SINGLE THING ADDED IN IOS 7 HAD NO INPUT FROM STEVE JOBS. 

Think about the why for a second.

Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

I could have done that.

But you didn't.

I do think the icon reflects the thinking that's going into iOS 7's look.

If it's soft-textured gradients and a removal of artificial glossiness, with zero other changes to the aesthetics, I'd be hughghhaaaaaall right with that.

• Reply 30 of 44
    slurpy wrote: »
    Oh, not much. Completely ignoring 2001, and only in 2012:

- Completely redesigned 15" MBP with highest resolution laptop  of that size in the world
    - Completely redesigned 13" MBP with highest resolution laptop of that size in the world
    - New iPad with Retina display- again, massive achievement
    - Completely redesigned iPod touch
    - Completely redesigned iPod nano
    - Completely redesigned iMac- most significant change in years
    - Completely redesigned iPhone- 1st change in screen size/aspect ratio since inception
    - iPad mini- Completely new iPad line
    - 4th generation iPad- fastest refresh in their history
    - refreshed Macbook Airs
    - refreshed classic MBPs
    - refreshed Mac mini
    - refreshed Apple TV
    - Biggest Apple TV interface change in its history
    - New iTunes- most significant update since it first launched a decade ago
    - New iOS appstore- biggest update since it 1st launched in 2008
    - iOS 6- major release of iOS
    - OSX 10.8- major release of OSX
    - New maps- launched a completely new mapping product from the ground up, not an insignificant accomplishment
    - Transition to new dock connector + cable for all products, 1st change in the last decade
    - Completely redesigned headphones
    - A6 and A6X chips- first Apple custom designed chips, and the best on the market
    - significant updates to all OSX/iOS apps

Yeah, every single detail of the development of all these hardware/software products were signed and sealed by Steve Jobs. Yup. /s

You people think in such extremes. I never said Steve Jobs had his hand in every detail of every product released. I also wasn't suggesting that Apple hasn't been doing anything since he died. We do know that he was at the helm when all those projects were in development. That doesn't seem to be the case of the design of iOS 7. It may be true that during one of those famous lunches that Jobs and Ive had they may have discussed totally revamping the thinking behind Apple's software design, but the issue clearly came to a head after he died (recall the insider reports from Fast Company). The sources said he was a fan of the skeumorphic designs of iOS, and the design enhancements made to iOS 6 seem to bare out the direction he and Forestall were heading in.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    You're claiming to be able to know, not only what is in iOS 7, but that EVERY SINGLE THING ADDED IN IOS 7 HAD NO INPUT FROM STEVE JOBS. 

Think about the why for a second.

But you didn't.

If it's soft-textured gradients and a removal of artificial glossiness, with zero other changes to the aesthetics, I'd be hughghhaaaaaall right with that.

I don't know what's in iOS 7. There's been a lot of journalism devoted to what lead to the redesign in iOS 7. I don't know about features and I don't know how long Apple has been thinking about it, but when Apple sends out a very carefully worded press release saying Jony Ive is now the head of human interface at Apple, I gather that that means he wasn't before the change was made. Steve Jobs wasn't alive last fall.
  • Reply 32 of 44

I don't know what's in iOS 7. There's been a lot of journalism devoted to what lead to the redesign in iOS 7. I don't know about features and I don't know how long Apple has been thinking about it, but when Apple sends out a very carefully worded press release saying Jony Ive is now the head of human interface at Apple, I gather that that means he wasn't before the change was made. Steve Jobs wasn't alive last fall.

Or you could answer my question.

Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

I never said Steve Jobs had his hand in every detail of every product released. I also wasn't suggesting that Apple hasn't been doing anything since he died. 

Nor are we claiming you did. Nice strawman.

That doesn't seem to be the case of the design of iOS 7.

"Seem". So instead of saying outright, you've backpedaled and are now saying 'seem'. Good to know.

JeffDM, who is this guy? Anyone?

• Reply 33 of 44
    james0378james0378 Posts: 19member
    The Apple logo was already designed, but its just the logo plastered to a purple square with round edges. I could have done that. You people are too defensive! I'm not pre-judging iOS 7. I don't think Apple is lacking for perfectionists. I do think the icon reflects the thinking that's going into iOS 7's look.

The new Adobe Kuler app has a similar design. Flat. Not a bad design. It still has the familiar app "button" look. How often do we see a "flat" look on a lot of objects everyday? With touchscreens today there is almost always a glossless look to the buttons, perhaps a very slight shading or border on the edges, it's familiar. Tapable electronic buttons exist just as much as "3d" buttons (elevator buttons for instance). The flatness may not be a tough sell as far as customers recognizing how objects can be interacted with. Ive also digs glass and alluminium a lot, maybe we'll see a nod to those materials in places but not necessarily a complete imitation.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Or you could answer my question.
    Nor are we claiming you did. Nice strawman.

"Seem". So instead of saying outright, you've backpedaled and are now saying 'seem'. Good to know.

JeffDM, who is this guy? Anyone?

Wtf are you arguing about? Conjecture? This is a forum and we're talking about Apple, but I don't think I'm so far off. Like I said, the stuff written about iOS 7 and everything that lead up to it has been pretty accurate. I don't understand what's to get so upset about. Steve Jobs probably had nothing to do with this redesign, and he probably had something to do with all that other stuff you people posted.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    james0378 wrote: »
    The new Adobe Kuler app has a similar design. Flat. Not a bad design. It still has the familiar app "button" look. How often do we see a "flat" look on a lot of objects everyday? With touchscreens today there is almost always a glossless look to the buttons, perhaps a very slight shading or border on the edges, it's familiar. Tapable electronic buttons exist just as much as "3d" buttons (elevator buttons for instance). The flatness may not be a tough sell as far as customers recognizing how objects can be interacted with. Ive also digs glass and alluminium a lot, maybe we'll see a nod to those materials in places but not necessarily a complete imitation.

I think 9to5's rumor was that the new newsstand design looks like the Mac OSX dock, if that's the case then it's pretty nifty. All I keep hearing about is the removal of gloss or whatever, but I haven't heard much about how any of this looks or functions better. Those leaked iOS7 photos on macrumors look like a baby version of iOS. I somehow doubt this redesign is simply a matter of removing all accents from the software.
  • Reply 36 of 44

Steve Jobs probably had nothing to do with this redesign, and he probably had something to do with all that other stuff you people posted.

That's just it. PROBABLY. Not obviously, not blatantly, not even confidently. Maybe even possibly or barely, but it's not an assured thing.

• Reply 37 of 44
    So you're arguing against certitude? Who cares.... I wasn't trying to convey certitude, but I'm working while I write posts and I probably didn't express myself as clearly as I could. But anyway, who cares.... Look at this instead: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/06/02/unified-ios-7-icons/

They're speculating on an image that 9to5 stated was an early build, but their thoughts are interesting. I don't understand why it requires so much design thinking and philosophy in order to remove vertical stripes and gloss from the iMessage app. Some people are really convinced that that's precisely what Apple is doing. I'd prefer it if the phone could do more of the work, instead of me constantly fetching my emails and waiting for weather to load. Why can't they have live weather on the icon itself?
  • Reply 38 of 44

So you're arguing against certitude? Who cares.... I wasn't trying to convey certitude…

Probably shouldn't have said it, then.

• Reply 39 of 44
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Yeah, I don't like the lack of contrast here.

I love the new Windows 8 look. /s
  • Reply 40 of 44
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    ascii wrote: »
    Aren't developers more likely to have their Macbook Pros with them?

Yes, and they're going to pull them out to check maps, conference schedules, etc. while walking around. They're that hardcore. /s