Rumor: Apple to start next-gen iPad production in July, iPad mini in November

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new report out of East Asia claims Apple will begin mass production of the fifth-generation iPad in July or August ahead of a third quarter launch, while the ramp-up for the next iPad mini has been pushed back to November.

iPad mini

Citing sources at Apple's partner suppliers in Taiwan, DigiTimes reports the redesigned 9.7-inch iPad will see a production window between July and August, with initial shipments reaching 5 million units by the end of September.

The publication notes Apple's flagship tablet will see an expected design change, with thinner bezels and a slimmer profile bringing it more in line with the current iPad mini.

As for the next-gen mini, these sources say production has been pushed back one month to November, though the reason for the delay is unclear. Market watchers speculate that Apple may be staggering the two product introductions as the mini negatively impacted sales of the full-size iPad last year. Another theory is that the supply chain simply can't meet the original build schedule.

With the delay, the total number of iPads shipped during 2013 could be lower than earlier forecasts of 80 to 100 million units, with shipment weighting at 65 percent for the 9.7-inch iPad and 35 percent for the mini.

There has been a glut of rumors regarding the upcoming next-generation iPads, though most point to to major changes in design for the 9.7-inch version, while the 7.9-inch iPad mini will receive a high-resolution Retina display.

2013 Predictions

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has been reliable in predicting Apple's product moves, believes both tablets will be launched in the third quarter, though the fifth-generation iPad will see a slightly earlier release as the "iPad mini 2" has hit development issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Well, I guess it wouldn't be "Apple" if there weren't some kind of backlog, bottleneck, production-manufacture-parts-assembly problem.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    isaidso wrote: »
    Well, I guess it wouldn't be "Apple" if there weren't some kind of backlog, bottleneck, production-manufacture-parts-assembly problem.

You mean rumours of problems, right?

Overall this news is good news for Apple's mindshare. As soon as people stop caring about Apple's supply and production chain months in advance for every single product and sites like this aren't there to report on them is when Apple will finally and truly be screwed.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Spacing out full size and mini iPad launches makes perfect sense. Launching them simultaneously dilutes the focus, saturates the supply chain, and probably decreases sales. 

"Well, I guess it wouldn't be "Apple" if there weren't some kind of backlog, bottleneck, production-manufacture-parts-assembly problem."

Your post would have some merit if Apple wasn't the most proficient company in the fucking world when it comes to shipping massive #s of product and having extremely smooth launches compared to everyone else. Who else can sell 5 million of a brand new, extremely complex smartphone in a single weekend? Not another company on earth. Also, this is a rumor, and even if true, does not mean there's any issues or delays. Launching a new flagship electronics product, globally, in the millions, is ridiculously complex. Launching TWO simulatenously is just stupid, especially for a company like Apple, where every tiny issue is magnified a thousand fold. 

• Reply 4 of 29
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    slurpy wrote: »

<span style="line-height:18.200000762939453px;">Your post would have some merit if Apple wasn't the most proficient company in the fucking world when it comes to shipping massive #s of product.

Launching TWO simulatenously is just stupid.</span>

Until you're asked to do it...

Oh, and your job may be on the line if its too "stupid" for you to accomplish.

I won't fire you, but I need someone in this chair that knows how to drive.

If you're going to work for this company, we don't want you to operate like a tuned 800hp Fiat Punt, we need you to run everything like you're a 750hp Pagani Huyara.

(Disclaimer). I have no idea what the car analogy actually means, however contextually it made me laugh earlier. I'll look it up tomorrow in my spare time if I'm lucky.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Outside of a A7 processor and extended battery life what more can they do with these iDevices?
  • Reply 6 of 29
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Outside of a A7 processor and extended battery life what more can they do with these iDevices?

IGZO (much better screen and battery life)

the a7 itself has everything to be a marvel

even better build quality (liquid metal)

Rogue GPU

And, most importantly, better software to take advantage of the hardware.

• Reply 7 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    To me, it's plainly obvious both devices will be announced and will launch at the same time. No doubt this is one more attempted market manipulation tactic. November is 6 months away, guys. No analyst would know this information.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Spacing out full size and mini iPad launches makes perfect sense. Launching them simultaneously dilutes the focus, saturates the supply chain, and probably decreases sales. 

I think if things play out to your scenario, it would represent another execution fail for Apple. Apple launches three major products within 3 months right up to the holidays: iPhone in September, iPad in October, and iPad Mini in November. Then what else there is to launch between November and WWDC 2014? Will it be a repeat of this year when there's an 8-month draught of no major Apple news? In addition, starting around October, all manufacturers are busy ramming up for the holidays. Apple is adding the extra stress of new assembly process to the mix, further complicate the ramp up. The iPad Mini shortage last year was the most visible example of the problems with this release strategy. Not to count the iPhone 5 earlier. I know they are not the same, but Samsung seemingly has no trouble making 10 millions S4 in a month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

How about a fingerprint sensor, NFC, shape-shifting keys, and who knows what else in Apple research lab. People ask the same question about laptop for years, that other than faster CPU, more RAM, bigger HDD, higher resolution screen, what else can you scam into the chassis? We all know how Apple answered that question.

• Reply 9 of 29
    dave k. wrote: »

You say that like double the processor and more battery life is a small deal, it's mega important. What more could they do? Well, the full sized iPad will lose a lot of weight, they can add fingerprint scanners to the home buttons, the audio could be beefed up quite a bit (a pet peeve of mine), the cameras could improve, iOS 7, etc. The race isn't over yet. And then there non-obvious things like NFC, and features we cannot predict, like new hardware features and services.

The future of iPad is very bright. I'm looking forward to iPad 10.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    dave k. wrote: »
    I have to wonder if you are even remotely serious here. I love my iPad but there are some obvious things here that would make a huge difference. For example:

1. More RAM. 2GB would be a good start.
    2. A much faster processor. Yes the current chips are slow.
    3. More flash or secondary storage. Honestly they need to triple flash at each price level. Make it faster too.
    4. NFC.
    5. A power input compatible with Apples laptop chargers. For those times when cable or charger are left behind.
    6. A far better screen operating at a lower power level.
    7. New battery tech.
    8. New networking chips.
    9. Improved WiFi and cellular antennas.
    10. A port for SD cards.

These are just ten easy things. The biggest problem with iPad though is performance, address that and you will have even less resistance to adoption.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    I have to wonder if you are even remotely serious here. I love my iPad but there are some obvious things here that would make a huge difference. For example:

1. More RAM. 2GB would be a good start.
    2. A much faster processor. Yes the current chips are slow.
    3. More flash or secondary storage. Honestly they need to triple flash at each price level. Make it faster too.
    4. NFC.
    5. A power input compatible with Apples laptop chargers. For those times when cable or charger are left behind.
    6. A far better screen operating at a lower power level.
    7. New battery tech.
    8. New networking chips.
    9. Improved WiFi and cellular antennas.
    10. A port for SD cards.

These are just ten easy things. The biggest problem with iPad though is performance, address that and you will have even less resistance to adoption.

1- More RAM? I'll take it but that's completely unneeded with the way iOS handles multitasking.
    2- The A6 flies- are you kidding? Since its "slow"- please provide two apps you use that underperform due to processing ability.
    3- Agree. Look forward to the 32gb base model.
    4- don't care much for ipad, but definitely for iPhone.
    5- OK... You are kidding. Do you even have a MacBook? Impossible. How is the MagSafe 2 going to fit on the new thinner ipad or mini? So you suggest making it thicker so you can add a MagSafe charger? Dumbest idea ever.
    6- screen in ipad is more than fine. Mini will get retina. All will be well
    7- of course
    8- of course
    9- of course
    10- lol. Can you go back to your android forum. Don't mention tripling capacity and then wanting some trashy looking SD card slot.

If you can't answer what specifically is lacking with performance, then you need to troll off elsewhere. The A7 will keep it faster than needed for its third party apps- it's not to catchup to already developed ones. Infinity blade 2 and the dozens of mapping/processor intensive apps run absolutely perfect with no stutters or hesitation.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    andysol wrote: »
    1- More RAM? I'll take it but that's completely unneeded with the way iOS handles multitasking.

Completely unneeded is quite a strong way of putting it. Why would you take it if it's completely unneeded? That's a paradox.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member

November for the iPad Mini Retina release date is crazy!

• Reply 14 of 29
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    A number of people here have made good comments pertaining to how the iPad could be improved. So I'm not going to add to the hardware wish-list. For me though the iPad's home screen is a bit of a pet peeve. Those little app icons on that big screen seem a waste of valuable space. My hope is that iOS 7 for the iPad will take better advantage of that home screen by finally allowing various active widgets be displayed simultaneously - like Android tablets only better!
  • Reply 15 of 29
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member

Apple should give the Apple consumer the choice between the iPad 5 and the Mini Retina.   Announce the two products at the same time and release them at the same time too!

• Reply 16 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    harry wild wrote: »

It's certainly late in the season but November is still a viable month for a launch. The main thing is to have available in quantity by Black Friday (the 4th Friday in November and the day after Thanksgiving for those non-Americans). It's lower price than other Apple products also mean that it requires less of a lead time for buyers to make a decision.

Assuming this rumour is accurate why would it be released so late? Are there components it needs that won't be available until later than usual? If true, I'd say it weighs heavily in favour of a Retina iPad mini coming this year.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    harry wild wrote: »

This RUMORED start of production is not a release date. So you are off to a good start here, already identified as a . . .

—common FUD monger? grade A troll? Samsung patsy?

Edit: I just looked at your other posts. It could be that you are just not thinking about logistics from Apple's point of view. A global corporation that outsources components in various advancing technologies is not in control of schedules according to holidays, but has to move according to when this or that process is ready to perform in millions of units. It could be that you are not thinking of this. It could be that you are not thinking.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

2- The A6 flies- are you kidding? Since its "slow"- please provide two apps you use that underperform due to processing ability.

10- lol. Can you go back to your android forum. Don't mention tripling capacity and then wanting some trashy looking SD card slot.

If you can't answer what specifically is lacking with performance, then you need to troll off elsewhere. The A7 will keep it faster than needed for its third party apps- it's not to catchup to already developed ones. Infinity blade 2 and the dozens of mapping/processor intensive apps run absolutely perfect with no stutters or hesitation.

1.  Even single applications take more RAM.  As folks move toward more complex content creation or content editing tools there is a huge need for more RAM.  Adobe is working on a iOS lightroom app able to use the iPad to edit raw images on your laptop.  Likewise editing movies in iMovie on the iPad can use more RAM and more processing power.

2.  See 1.  Just because you aren't using your iPad to the limits doesn't mean there are not apps that do.  Right now the iPad isn't quite there as a complete casual/home laptop replacement which in my mind means being able to handle iLife apps in a way that most folks use it (iPhotos for pictures, iMovie home video of birthdays, ballet recitals, sports, etc) on the laptop.  Not pro or prosumer level...just at a consumer level that many folks do today using iLife.

When you move into the realm of the hobby/prosumer/pro photographer and videographer the A6 is even more weak since you step up to apps like Aperture, Lightroom, etc for use in the field.  The expectation is that while there is always a full up laptop or desktop in the office but being able to take the iPad alone instead of a larger laptop for preview and light touch up has great appeal.  It's still slow for this.

10. The CCK sucks in many ways.  Eye-Fi works sorta but the device itself has limited storage.  Being able to pop a SD card in directly without dealing with a CCK has great appeal.  The SD slot on my MBP does not look trashy.

• Reply 19 of 29
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    zoffdino wrote: »
    I think if things play out to your scenario, it would represent another execution fail for Apple. Apple launches three major products within 3 months right up to the holidays: iPhone in September, iPad in October, and iPad Mini in November. Then what else there is to launch between November and WWDC 2014? Will it be a repeat of this year when there's an 8-month draught of no major Apple news? I

It's only a fail if folks don't buy and the production companies can't pull off the needed numbers.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    1983 wrote: »
    A number of people here have made good comments pertaining to how the iPad could be improved. So I'm not going to add to the hardware wish-list. For me though the iPad's home screen is a bit of a pet peeve. Those little app icons on that big screen seem a waste of valuable space. My hope is that iOS 7 for the iPad will take better advantage of that home screen by finally allowing various active widgets be displayed simultaneously - like Android tablets only better!

Right, trash up the home screen, only trash it up better than Android.