Rumor: Apple to start next-gen iPad production in July, iPad mini in November

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    andysol wrote: »
    1- More RAM? I'll take it but that's completely unneeded with the way iOS handles multitasking.

Assuming that iOS 7 will handle it the same way
  • Reply 22 of 29
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Completely unneeded is quite a strong way of putting it. Why would you take it if it's completely unneeded? That's a paradox.

If you only use 10gb on your iPad, but Apple announces the 32gb at the same price as the 16gb- do you not always pick the 32gb?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

2.  See 1.  Just because you aren't using your iPad to the limits doesn't mean there are not apps that do.  Right now the iPad isn't quite there as a complete casual/home laptop replacement which in my mind means being able to handle iLife apps in a way that most folks use it (iPhotos for pictures, iMovie home video of birthdays, ballet recitals, sports, etc) on the laptop.  Not pro or prosumer level...just at a consumer level that many folks do today using iLife.

When you move into the realm of the hobby/prosumer/pro photographer and videographer the A6 is even more weak since you step up to apps like Aperture, Lightroom, etc for use in the field.  The expectation is that while there is always a full up laptop or desktop in the office but being able to take the iPad alone instead of a larger laptop for preview and light touch up has great appeal.  It's still slow for this.

Ok- you're in the same boat as wizard.  Telling me that we need stronger processing power- but not listing a single app currently that requires it.  I'm all for the A7- but the current iPad isn't crippled by the A6 in any form or fashion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Assuming that iOS 7 will handle it the same way

I'm looking at the known- not speculation.  If iOS7 doesn't use or allow 3rd parties to use NFC- then who cares if NFC is in the device?  If iOS7 changes multi-tasking similar to Android- then ok- more Ram would be good.  He was stating we need more Ram currently- which isn't the case.  Let's keep it to reality and not endless possibilities.

• Reply 23 of 29
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Right, trash up the home screen, only trash it up better than Android.

Opening up the home screen and seeing at a glance information from various sources that are of interest to you is a good thing. A tablet is ideal for such a layout, and it needn't be messy. Anyway it would be an option - you want to keep the standard home screen you can. 

• Reply 24 of 29
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Spacing out full size and mini iPad launches makes perfect sense. Launching them simultaneously dilutes the focus, saturates the supply chain, and probably decreases sales. 

Oh, so that's why Apple never releases 13" and 15" MacBook Pros together. Oh wait they do (oops. unless there is some sort of production problem)

Oh, so that's why Apple never releases 21" and 27" iMacs together. Oh wait they do (oops. unless there is some sort of production problem)

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Your post would have some merit if Apple wasn't the most proficient company in the fucking world when it comes to shipping massive #s of product and having extremely smooth launches compared to everyone else. Who else can sell 5 million of a brand new, extremely complex smartphone in a single weekend? Not another company on earth. Also, this is a rumor, and even if true, does not mean there's any issues or delays. Launching a new flagship electronics product, globally, in the millions, is ridiculously complex. Launching TWO simulatenously is just stupid, especially for a company like Apple, where every tiny issue is magnified a thousand fold. 

Your post would have some merit if you weren't just born yesterday.

Who the hell is talking about rumors? MY post was regarding Apple's FACTUAL history.

Maybe you have reading comprehension issue, but it seems more like you took some personal offense to the simple fact that Apple has (quite often) had trouble meeting it's own production schedules. That's a fact.

Deal with it.

• Reply 25 of 29
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    I would like this but why do they have a chart that the Q1 was wrong already.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    ireland wrote: »
    You say that like double the processor and more battery life is a small deal, it's mega important. What more could they do? Well, the full sized iPad will lose a lot of weight, they can add fingerprint scanners to the home buttons, the audio could be beefed up quite a bit (a pet peeve of mine), the cameras could improve, iOS 7, etc. The race isn't over yet. And then there non-obvious things like NFC, and features we cannot predict, like new hardware features and services.

Personally, I'm holding out for the Human CentiPad. /s
  • Reply 27 of 29
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Right, trash up the home screen, only trash it up better than Android.

That's more or less Consumer Reports' complaint: ...but it's not Android enough.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I have to wonder if you are even remotely serious here. I love my iPad but there are some obvious things here that would make a huge difference. For example:

1. More RAM. 2GB would be a good start.

2. A much faster processor. Yes the current chips are slow.

3. More flash or secondary storage. Honestly they need to triple flash at each price level. Make it faster too.

4. NFC.

5. A power input compatible with Apples laptop chargers. For those times when cable or charger are left behind.

6. A far better screen operating at a lower power level.

7. New battery tech.

8. New networking chips.

9. Improved WiFi and cellular antennas.

10. A port for SD cards.

These are just ten easy things. The biggest problem with iPad though is performance, address that and you will have even less resistance to adoption.

Add physics engine to the above list. As the company that brought touch UI to the masses, Apple needs to update the physics engine in iOS.

• Reply 29 of 29
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    andysol wrote: »

Ok- you're in the same boat as wizard.  Telling me that we need stronger processing power- but not listing a single app currently that requires it.  I'm all for the A7- but the current iPad isn't crippled by the A6 in any form or fashion.

I gave you two: iMovie and iPhoto. A third would be Pinnacle.

Rendering montages and titles in Pinnacle takes a long time and since you can't multitask it's not like you can surf the web while you wait. A faster CPU would be extremely useful. You want to render for preview as well as for the final output.

IPhoto is okay but processor limitations prevents the conversion and editing of raw. I like some of the iPhoto UI aspects over the desktop but I can't edit or view what I want.

Something like photoraw will convert Raw/Nef to something iPhoto can touch up but is dog slow. Thus another example of the A6 being slower than desired.

So 4 examples of where current apps are slow or limited with the latest gen A6 iPad because of processor speed, memory or both.

But I'm sure you'll find some excuse why these examples don't apply so the A7 would be an unnecessary improvement.