How to disable Powerbook stretched resolutions?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I hate the stretched resolutions on my new Powerbook G4 because they make everything look fatter than normal. The only problem is, with a few games that I have, I can't get them to run in the non-stretched mode. Is there any way to disable the stretched resolutions??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    stretched resolutions ? a TFT has only one resolution.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>stretched resolutions ? a TFT has only one resolution.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I know it only has one native resolution, but there are lower resolutions that you can have it scale to.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    but all gets blurry then, no ?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>but all gets blurry then, no ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, but sometimes those lower resolutions are necessary for certain applications (mainly games).
  • Reply 5 of 7
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    [quote]Originally posted by bis22:

<strong>Is there any way to disable the stretched resolutions??</strong><hr></blockquote>

Some (older) games do not like millions of colors. They need to switch to thousands. Try changing color depth before starting the game. This may help.

I have some emulators to play legacy games on my PowerBook. They switch resolutions too but never enter stretched mode. QuickTime also (you need to have Pro) changes resolutions when entering full screen mode. If you encounter the same screen stretching with QT Pro, the problem may not be related to your games.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bis22bis22 Posts: 34member
    The games I'm trying to do it with use millions of colors and I've tried switching it to mirroring and setting the display to the resolution the game will use, but it feels the need to switch it anyway. Mainly I'm trying to do it with Myth III and that doesn't let you tab switch out. I also tried using SwitchRes with it to force the resolution, but that led to a resolution switching war, of which Myth III finally won. Any other ideas?