Apple releases OS X 10.8.4 with Wi-Fi & Exchange improvements

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released OS X 10.8.4, its latest security and maintenance update for the Mountain Lion operating system for Mac, improving Wi-Fi connectivity and Microsoft Exchange compatibility, and also fixing an issue that prevented making FaceTime calls to non-U.S. numbers.

The OS X 10.8.4 update is now available for Mountain Lion users through the Mac App Store. A system restart is required once the update has been installed, and it is recommended by Apple for all users.

The full list of changes in OS X 10.8.4, according to Apple, are:
  • Compatibility improvements when connecting to certain enterprise Wi-Fi networks
  • Microsoft exchange compatibility improvements in Calendar
  • A fix for an issue that prevented FaceTime calls to non-U.S. phone numbers
  • A fix for an issue that may prevent scheduled sleep after using Boot Camp
  • Improved VoiceOver compatibility with text in PDF documents
  • Includes Safari 6.0.5
AppleInsider was first to report last week that the release of OS X 10.8.4 was imminent, as Apple closed the seed project for developer testing. In a note to developers last week, Apple thanked participants for testing, and noted that materials related to the seeding project would be shut down.

Prior to Tuesday's release, there were a total of eight betas of OS X 10.8.4 released, in which developers were asked to focus their testing on Wi-Fi, Graphics Drivers and Safari. Earlier builds of the software signaled that Apple is also testing high-speed 802.11ac Wi-Fi in OS X, suggesting the hardware capabilities are likely to appear in future Macs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Yay!
  • Reply 2 of 53
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Cool!

I'll upgrade in a few days time though....
  • Reply 3 of 53
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

Build number?

• Reply 4 of 53
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member

Build 12E55. Downloaded and installed no problem. 15:15 CDT.

• Reply 5 of 53
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Pretty Kitty.

• Reply 6 of 53
    cgs268cgs268 Posts: 55member
    Anything noticeable on Safari?
  • Reply 7 of 53
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post

Build 12E55. Downloaded and installed no problem. 15:15 CDT.

So nothing changed since the last beta.  How disappointing.  Still a few graphical issues.  

• Reply 8 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by cgs268 View Post

It's snappier.

• Reply 9 of 53
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgs268 View Post

Hopefully it'll be snappier...

• Reply 10 of 53
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Ok, on it when got message on phone, don't you love how that works
  • Reply 11 of 53
    superjunaidsuperjunaid Posts: 104member
    I can hardly wait!

OS X Build 12E55
  • Reply 12 of 53
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Wonder if part of the wifi fix is getting your Mac to automatically join when waking. Having to click the wifi icon and join every time is annoying.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    It's snappier.

Damn it.

You beat me!
  • Reply 14 of 53
    ianridianrid Posts: 13member
    Security Update 2013-002 for Snow Leopard has also dropped at the same time.
  • Reply 15 of 53

Originally Posted by IanRid View Post

Security Update 2013-002 for Snow Leopard has also dropped at the same time.

Important to note for those that… well, I guess the very very very first-gen Intel stuff.

So I guess next week WWDC will drop both the first build of 10.8.5 and a pre-pre-pre-build of 10.9.

• Reply 16 of 53
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    I don't understand this. Developers are told to focus their testing on graphics, and none of the changes are related to graphics. There're quite a few things to improve on Mac graphics, so it's disappointing there're no news on this after it was a test focus...
  • Reply 17 of 53

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

I don't understand this. Developers are told to focus their testing on graphics, and none of the changes are related to graphics. There're quite a few things to improve on Mac graphics, so it's disappointing there're no news on this after it was a test focus...

This really bugs me, more than having no "outstanding" features. At the very freaking least, they could support OpenGL 4! Does OS X even do 3 yet?

• Reply 18 of 53
    I don't understand why Apple charges for having beta's tested to Apple Developers 99 a year.

They're practically risking their computers on the line for Apple... it makes no sense to me... It would be better if they offered the beta's for people who wanted to test them like every other large developer releases their software. Microsoft even has their OS's Release Candidates tested for free with a stamp and they end the testing period when they think the product is ready to launch. Why can't apple do that as well.

And another thing that makes me mad... why doesn't Mac OS X have a Live Demo to the OS at disc start up or after installation of an updated or beta to see if you want to keep the changes or install the OS updates.. like Linux OS's do with their releases? Puppy Linux and Ubuntu have been doing this for years and no one seems to pick at Apple's OS for being so "revolutionary."
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Does this finally sort out the god awful freezing issue that's plaguing everyone after 10.8.3!?
  • Reply 20 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Does this finally sort out the god awful freezing issue that's plaguing everyone after 10.8.3!?

Everyone, eh?