New inbox comes to Google's official Gmail app for iPhone, iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google on Tuesday updated its official Gmail application for iOS, adding the new category-based inbox also available on other platforms, and also improving notification options for iPhone and iPad users.

Gmail

The new Gmail for iOS is now available as a free download in the App Store. Version 2.3.14159 is 13.7 megabytes, and requires iOS 5.0 or later.

The new notification options promise to alert users to all messages, only important messages, or none at all on an account-specific basis. Users can customize these settings from the in-app settings page.

And the new inbox, when enabled, groups mail into categories, allowing users to see what's new at a glance and more easily decide which emails to read.

The updated application shows primary mail first, while emails in other categories can be viewed by opening the menu. Users can configure this feature by accessing gmail.com on a traditional computer.

The updated Gmail inbox layout was brought to iOS devices via the Safari Web browser last week. The new tabbed interface was first unveiled by Google at its annual developers I/O conference last month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

While you're at it, Larry Page would like you to e-mail your medical records to someone--anyone--so Google can study them.

• Reply 2 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

While you're at it, Larry Page would like you to e-mail your medical records to someone--anyone--so Google can study them.

I don't get this post. Are you ignorantly implying that google has people personally reading your email for personal and malicious gain? Or are you just a troll. 

• Reply 3 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I don't get this post. Are you ignorantly implying that google has people personally reading your email for personal and malicious gain? Or are you just a troll. 

He's making fun of Larry Page who recently said:

“At least in my case I feel I should have done it sooner and I’m not sure that answer isn’t true for most people, so I ask why are people so focused on keeping your medical history private?”

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2038857/larry-page-wants-to-see-your-medical-records.html

Basically Larry Page is an out-of-touch, billionarie CEO who doesn't have to worry about being denied medical coverage, employment, etc. because of his medical history being used against him.

• Reply 4 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    He's making fun of Larry Page who recently said:

<p style="line-height:1.7em;margin-bottom:.7em;color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;">“At least in my case I feel I should have done it sooner and I’m not sure that answer isn’t true for most people, so I ask why are people so focused on keeping your medical history private?”</p>

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2038857/larry-page-wants-to-see-your-medical-records.html

Basically Larry Page is an out-of-touch, billionarie CEO who doesn't have to worry about being denied medical coverage, employment, etc. because of his medical history being used against him.

And all the while he kept his own medical condition a mystery (which is absolutely his right). He's blind to his own contradictions.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I really hope iOS 7 flat look won't be anything like this Google app which is just a copy of the atrocious Microsoft Metro/ModernUI crap.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    bpattonbpatton Posts: 19member
    I've seen all the stories on here regarding the Gmail App for iPhone - but I feel I'm really missing something here. Why would you use the Gmail app over the native iOS Mail app? I would think most people could accomplish everything they want via the iOS app. Is the Gmail app really offering that much to make headlines?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    jim phong wrote: »
    I really hope iOS 7 flat look won't be anything like this Google app which is just a copy of the atrocious Microsoft Metro/ModernUI crap.

I like it, clean and simple, so tired of the bubble look and drop shadows.
  • Reply 8 of 11

Deleted all google apps from my iPhone and i feel much better.

• Reply 9 of 11
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    jim phong wrote: »
    Another one who never tried windows 8/windows phone 8 and yet claims that this app looks like "just a copy" of metro/modern UI, whatever that supposed to mean, which is blatantly ludicrous to anyone having a clue... Seriously people...
  • Reply 10 of 11
    ferdchetferdchet Posts: 38member
    bpatton - it's because they have stopped allowing some integration. for example, google shut off exchange integration for iDevices. If you had it set up on your device prior to the end of last year, no problem. It will keep working. If you want to set it up on a new device? Like if I just upgraded to a new iPad? No such luck.

You could use the IMAP integration. Meh.

The other aspect is that Google is redirecting to their own apps when you use the Gmail app to read mail. A Youtube link in your email? Goes to the Youtube app. Map link? Google maps app.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    ferdchet wrote: »
    The other aspect is that Google is redirecting to their own apps when you use the Gmail app to read mail. A Youtube link in your email? Goes to the Youtube app. Map link? Google maps app.

I don't mind that as much as Apple opening up Safari when a HTML link is clicked. I would really like to change the default browser without Jail-Breaking it.