Apple releases OS X 10.8.4 with Wi-Fi & Exchange improvements

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Wonder if part of the wifi fix is getting your Mac to automatically join when waking. Having to click the wifi icon and join every time is annoying.

Weird - I never had that prob (pre or post-upgrade)... and I plowed through at least a couple dozen airport/hotel/conference/office wifi SSIDs over the past couple of weeks (due to travel).

• Reply 22 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by HairForceOne View Post

Does this finally sort out the god awful freezing issue that's plaguing everyone after 10.8.3!?

What freezing issue that I have never experienced on any version of Mountain Lion?

• Reply 23 of 53
    jingojingo Posts: 117member

The freezing issue which happens when you use Safari on certain Macs. Doesn't happen on all models but every time I launch Safari I can guarantee a hard crash (UI frozen apart from mouse cursor). Sound keeps playing but you can't do anything with the Mac. I now use Firefox all the time and don't get the crashes.

• Reply 24 of 53

Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

The freezing issue which happens when you use Safari on certain Macs. Doesn't happen on all models but every time I launch Safari I can guarantee a hard crash (UI frozen apart from mouse cursor). Sound keeps playing but you can't do anything with the Mac. I now use Firefox all the time and don't get the crashes.

And you're sure it has anything to do with OS X, Safari, or a specific Mac? Sounds exactly like what happens when Flash is being a… well, Flash. 

• Reply 25 of 53
    jingojingo Posts: 117member

Check out the Apple discussions board for the many other people who have ecxperienced the same issue. It's not just me, and no, I really don't think it is just this Mac. The Mac works absolutely fine when Safari isn't running for weeks at a time with fifteen or so apps running, but if you launch Safari then it will inevitably crash some time within the next couple of hours or so.

There is nothing to see in the Console and I have spent ages cleaning up my extensions, plugins, kexts, drivers etc to make sure they are all clean. Still makes no difference.

And Flash - well, yes, Flash can be rubbish, but it doesn't crash in conjunction with Firefox if it is the cause, so I still point the finger at Safari.

My guess is that it may be a graphics driver problem which is why it appears to affect some Macs and not others, but this is just supposition.

• Reply 26 of 53
    perrykeperryke Posts: 3member

10.8.4 upgrades the Reminders app from 1.0 to1.1. There is no reference I can find to the change nor can I find a change in app.

• Reply 27 of 53
    pokimacpokimac Posts: 7member
    I know it's soon to ask but is this update necessary to update to 10.9 ??
  • Reply 28 of 53
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Haven't noticed a difference....yet...

• Reply 29 of 53
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

TS wrote:

>This really bugs me, more than having no "outstanding" features. At the very freaking least, they could support OpenGL 4! Does OS X even do 3 yet?

from a Software Lifecycle point of view, major new features should not be introduced mid-cycle.

• Reply 30 of 53
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

I guess we have to wait and see if they have fixed Mail issue where Exchange inbox shows no emails. I have to restart Mail for them to show up.

• Reply 31 of 53
    mtefremtefre Posts: 12member
    EPS-attachement preview in mail is up and running again! Long overdue!
  • Reply 32 of 53
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    The graphics and many other changes are for the new Mac's next week. Not unusual for Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 53

Originally Posted by jwdawso View Post

The graphics… …are for the new Mac's next week.

Ooh! You're probably right. Where's do I look for the file with the list of supported GPUs, again?

• Reply 34 of 53
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I want an iTunes update. Something is causing crashes that I've never experienced before. All I have to do is use the Remote app on my iPhone, and boom. iTunes crashes. It's a new problem for me since the latest iTunes update, and it suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    2oh1 wrote: »
    I want an iTunes update. Something is causing crashes that I've never experienced before. All I have to do is use the Remote app on my iPhone, and boom. iTunes crashes. It's a new problem for me since the latest iTunes update, and it suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Did you try:

• Recreating the error with a new Test user on that same machine?
    • Reinstalling iTunes?
    • Deleting your iTunes preferences in ~/Library/Preferences?
    • Checking your disk for errors?
      or
    • Setting up the remote app via Home Sharing instead of as a regular remote?
  • Reply 36 of 53
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

Check out the Apple discussions board for the many other people who have ecxperienced the same issue. It's not just me, and no, I really don't think it is just this Mac. The Mac works absolutely fine when Safari isn't running for weeks at a time with fifteen or so apps running, but if you launch Safari then it will inevitably crash some time within the next couple of hours or so.

There is nothing to see in the Console and I have spent ages cleaning up my extensions, plugins, kexts, drivers etc to make sure they are all clean. Still makes no difference.

And Flash - well, yes, Flash can be rubbish, but it doesn't crash in conjunction with Firefox if it is the cause, so I still point the finger at Safari.

My guess is that it may be a graphics driver problem which is why it appears to affect some Macs and not others, but this is just supposition.

I have a late-2008 MBP.   When I first installed Mountain Lion, I also had weird lockups which were driving me nuts.    Apple couldn't figure out why, although there was a certain error report that wouldn't generate properly.    I was really pissed and felt that Apple had finally lost it.   I only had a problem with an OS install once before that.  I forget which major version it was, but it was several major versions ago and Apple apps wouldn't work.   Apple support claimed it might be my memory chips, but I thought that was ridiculous since the previous OS worked fine.  To make a long story short, it turned out to be a bad font problem.   Even though those very same fonts worked with the previous OS, they wouldn't work with the new OS.   I got rid of all the fonts except the system fonts and then reinstalled one font at at time, mainly only installing TrueType fonts.   Never had a problem again until the lockups.   

But one day, I stopped having the lockup problem for reasons unknown and it's never returned.    It didn't seem to be coincident with any OS update.   And I do mainly use Safari.   Still don't know if it was Apple's fault and a third-party app.  I think I read something recently where someone on an Apple forum fixed the problem by replacing a ribbon cable.   

• Reply 37 of 53
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Any fix yet for slow wakeups (especially bluetooth) from sleep mode?

• Reply 38 of 53
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgs268 View Post

Anything noticeable on Safari?

It still crashes here.

• Reply 39 of 53
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

I hope this resolves the WiFi problems I'm having on my 15" rMBP. Several times a day when I'm working, I'lll loose all internet activity to my router even though the WiFi "fan" icon is still solid black. I then have to disable my WiFi, then reenable it and it works again (until it dies a few hours later).

I seriously doubt it's my router because all of my other devices don't have any problems -- my iPhone 5 stays connected all the time and my Roku is streaming CNN pretty much all day long via WiFi and never coughs up a lung.

• Reply 40 of 53
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Man, people.

You reckon this shit is bad?

I recently had to bootcamp into Windows to use a Windows specific program.

Unpleasant?

I have the Goddamn scar tissue to prove it.

Logging back into OS X was like coming home to dinner, dessert, a massage, hot bath, and hours of 'affection' from a loved one.

Apple, f*cking thank you!