Apple installing WWDC banners: 'Where a whole new world is developing'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    totemstotems Posts: 17member
    I love how the picture of the apple store in SanFran highlights some guy taking a causal stroll whilst smoking a cigarette. Great mood capturing
  • Reply 22 of 92
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

I'm betting iOS will jump the river onto some previously OSX only form factors (a.k.a. "A whole new world" referencing Post-PC era.).  Mark my word. image

• Reply 23 of 92
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... including the revamped Metreon retail complex across the street, which now includes a scaled down City Target department store and a greatly expanded food court offering alternatives to the food options provided at WWDC.

How the mighty have fallen.  The Metreon used to be called Sony Metreon, and it used to contain a large Sony retail store plus a separate Play Station store.  It was supposed to be the first in a chain of Sony "urban entertainment centers."  But it just didn't attract enough business.  All traces of Sony are gone now.  Replaced by Target and more restaurants in the food court.

Oh, and there used to be a Microsoft Store in the Metreon too.  Closed after just two years.

• Reply 24 of 92
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Apple has started installing banners for next week's World Wide Developer Conference, featuring brightly colored squares and the tagline "Where a whole new world is developing.".

Isn't it obvious? They bought some of Kodak's patents and Apple is now getting into home film developing. That's a niche that even Samsung wouldn't copy. 8-)
  • Reply 25 of 92
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    pro tip: Apple didn't design or develop the WWDC app.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Ideas are the cornerstone of all human accomplishment. Just for you and I to communicate about its value on this forum countless ideas through all human existence that had to be so powerful that they moved millions of people to shape into reality what had merely started off as a single electrical impulse in the brain. They are the heart and soul of what makes humans so unique in the world as we know it. We are only as powerful as our ideas.
    Human beings do things, not ideas.
  • Reply 27 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by cinder View Post

pro tip: Apple didn't design or develop the WWDC app.

In what universe does that make any sense?

• Reply 28 of 92
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Nice bum shot. (...and I realize this comment has other connotations outside the US) image

It also has more connotations in the US. Every time one walks down the street the use of the term bum is more often about a woman's butt than a vagabond.

• Reply 29 of 92
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Totems View Post

I love how the picture of the apple store in SanFran highlights some guy taking a causal stroll whilst smoking a cigarette. Great mood capturing

I'm not sure I'd call that a 'casual stroll'. I don't think he is going camping either. More like an existential meander through the underbelly of existence. 

• Reply 30 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »

You can't be that shortsighted. How does a human purposely create something new if there is no catalyst for the result. That's an idea. It's doing is getting us to do.
  • Reply 31 of 92

I look forward to the new visuals - I love the multicoloured 'splash' and I can't tell you how glad I'll be to see the back of the blue/grey IOS system colour. I always found it so dour and depressing.

• Reply 32 of 92
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

New World ...Bleh sounds so 16th century

• Reply 33 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

At least this is a decent slogan. The one last year (where great ideas go on to do great things) was pretty bad. Last time I checked an idea can't do anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It can be stolen.

Samsung looks at more like "borrowing without asking."

• Reply 34 of 92
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

How the mighty have fallen.  The Metreon used to be called Sony Metreon, and it used to contain a large Sony retail store plus a separate Play Station store.  It was supposed to be the first in a chain of Sony "urban entertainment centers."  But it just didn't attract enough business.  All traces of Sony are gone now.  Replaced by Target and more restaurants in the food court.

Oh, and there used to be a Microsoft Store in the Metreon too.  Closed after just two years.

That Target in the Metreon sucks. I went in there and asked the guy if they sell liquor and he told me it was in the back right corner. I get back there and all they had was wine. image

• Reply 35 of 92
    rogifan wrote: »
    Before a human does a thing he or she generally does an idea. How else would s/he know what to do?
  • Reply 36 of 92
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

… Or it means nothing.

Well, "A Whole New World" has to be one of, if not the most overused platitudes there ever was.  It's almost as cheesy as "This Changes Everything."

So yeah, it could mean almost anything.  

The only thing it says to me for sure is that Apple hasn't got much new in the advertising and promotion department if this is all they can come up with.  The coloured squares on the invite and the banners are attractive, but since we already know they have nothing to do with the new look of the OS, they fill me with sadness also.  

It all feels a bit tired and regurgitated to me.  Almost, (dare I say it) … Microsoftian.  

• Reply 37 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by Totems View Post

Either you are being ridiculously overly politically correct, or you can't see the forest for the trees. 

It's not "a guy taking a casual stroll whilst smoking."  You make him sound like an eighteenth century gentleman.  

It's a homeless drug addict with a trash burger in his hand. 

• Reply 38 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by payeco View Post

That Target in the Metreon sucks. I went in there and asked the guy if they sell liquor and he told me it was in the back right corner. I get back there and all they had was wine. image

liq·uor  

/?lik?r/

Noun

1. Alcoholic drink, esp. distilled spirits.

2. A liquid produced or used in a process of some kind, in particular.

Synonyms

drink - booze - liquid - beverage - fluid

• Reply 39 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well, "A Whole New World" has to be one of, if not the most overused platitudes there ever was.  It's almost as cheesy as "This Changes Everything."

So yeah, it could mean almost anything.  

It all feels a bit tired and regurgitated to me.  Almost, (dare I say it) … Microsoftian.  

Lucky for you, you won't have to wait long to find out what it means.

Oh wait, never mind: you've already decided it's tired and regurgitated. image

• Reply 40 of 92
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

liq·uor  

/?lik?r/

Noun

1. Alcoholic drink, esp. distilled spirits.

2. A liquid produced or used in a process of some kind, in particular.

Synonyms

drink - booze - liquid - beverage - fluid

Maybe it's just the people I know but if someone says liquor it's understood they specifically mean hard alcohol: vodka, whiskey, rum, etc. Just look at definition number 1 you quoted.