Plex media server comes to non-jailbroken Apple TVs with new hack

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Thanks to an innovative hack, owners of the Apple TV set-top box can now get access to the popular media server software Plex without having to "jailbreak" their devices.

Dubbed PlexConnect, the hack was developed by Plex users Baa, roidy, and f00b4r. It involves running a program that pretends to be Apple's Trailers app on a computer connected to the Apple TV and changing a network setting on the Apple TV. Those two acts combined essentially fool the Apple TV into accepting Plex content without having to "jailbreak," or hack the device to run unauthorized code.

The workaround gives tech savvy Apple TV owners a way to have access to yet another media service. Plex allows users to organize their videos, photos, and music, but the software has until now been unavailable on non-jailbroken Apple TVs.

Jailbreaking an Apple TV or any iOS device can be a risky affair, as users will at the very least void the warranty, and at worst could render their device non-functional. Jailbreaking iOS-powered devices like the Apple TV and iPhone allows users to run code not approved by Apple, opening up new features and capabilities.

As it is a workaround it is possible that future Apple TV firmware updates could disable PlexConnect. Given that the Plex community developed the hack, though, any such feature loss would likely result in a quick adaptation of code to reenable PlexConnect.

A version of Plex for the iPhone and iPad is available in the iTunes App Store. It allows users to stream and navigate content from their and their friends' Plex servers over Wi-Fi or a cellular connection.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    There goes the demand for after market 2nd gen Apple TV's.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Clever!
  • Reply 3 of 25
    jgrejgre Posts: 1member
    Hmmmm, they must have copied some code Beamer app was using....... Still good to see that more apps are breaking loose from Apple's chains.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Clever!

How hard would it be for Apple to fix the 'hole' in an update?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Every time jailbreaking is mentioned in an article on this site, the statement is made that this voids the warranty. Apple has never made such a claim. They are always careful to say it "may" void the warranty because there are a lot of legal and regulatory restrictions under what conditions warranty coverage can be denied. Unless Apple can demonstrate that the jailbreaking actually caused the problem which the warranty coverage is being requested, it cannot deny coverage. This is settled law and not open to anyone's opinion that it should be otherwise.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Plex is a very smart program.  I'm sure Apple will find a way to "fix" this.

• Reply 7 of 25
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    I use the AirVideo app on my iPhone and iPad, together with AirPlay to achieve the same effect far more conveniently and without hacking. If you want to run things directly from your laptop you could use AirParrot instead.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Plex is a very smart program.  I'm sure Apple will find a way to "fix" this.

I doubt it.  Unless Apple support starts getting a bunch of calls related to this, I can't see why Apple would bother.  The percentage of AppleTV owners who will learn about this is probably in the single digits and a tiny fraction of them will try it out.  If this were an iPhone or iPad hack, Apple would be all over it, but not AppleTV.

On the other hand... if this clues Apple in to a more generic "exploitable" issue with iOS in general, then yeah they will fix it.  But then it really would be a fix and not a quote-unquote "fix."

• Reply 9 of 25
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I'd guess it would be pretty simple.
  • Reply 10 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

Every time jailbreaking is mentioned in an article on this site, the statement is made that this voids the warranty. Apple has never made such a claim. They are always careful to say it "may" void the warranty because there are a lot of legal and regulatory restrictions under what conditions warranty coverage can be denied. Unless Apple can demonstrate that the jailbreaking actually caused the problem which the warranty coverage is being requested, it cannot deny coverage. This is settled law and not open to anyone's opinion that it should be otherwise.

quite..

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3743?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

• Reply 11 of 25
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Plex rocks. It is the main reason I decided to get a Roku for a TV in my living room. I had already been using it to serve content from my Mac Pro to one TV with a PS3 and wanted that same ability for another TV in another room. But in all honesty I have to admit that price and channels also played a big role in my decision to get the Roku over the Apple TV. It was half the price but allowed far more content and flexibility. But then again I don't buy any content from iTunes. I use it for Netflix, Hulu, a few more obscure Roku private channels, and my own 3TB drive filled with movies and shows. It would have been far more time consuming and effort to serve those movies to an Apple TV since not all were in mp4 and I didn't want to add the content to iTunes.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Or they could introduce an Apple TV app store instead of blocking it.

• Reply 13 of 25
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

The only problem with jailbreaking is you cant service the device if its jailbreak. You need to put back the original solftware before. The problem is some users are unable to do it and they are left with a broken product.

• Reply 14 of 25
    zberniezbernie Posts: 37member

I tried Plex media server and it seemed to take over my iMac.  It was a chore to uninstall it!   With iTunes I can stream videos to any Apple TV in my house, or any iPad, or iPhone.  Apple has Netflix and Hulu, etc.  I can also purchase a great deal of content from the iTunes store.  I just don't feel that Plex is worth it.

• Reply 15 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by zBernie View Post

I tried Plex media server and it seemed to take over my iMac.  It was a chore to uninstall it!   With iTunes I can stream videos to any Apple TV in my house, or any iPad, or iPhone.  Apple has Netflix and Hulu, etc.  I can also purchase a great deal of content from the iTunes store.  I just don't feel that Plex is worth it.

Sounds like you are talking about Plex and not Plex media server. Two different downloads. The Media server won't take over the screen like Plex does which is what you are describing. I made the same mistake when I first set it up.

• Reply 16 of 25

I tried Plex for a while with my MacMini and TV, but it somehow just didn't gel well. Apple then re-released the Apple TV in India and I went for it. Guess I am Apple's target market - make it simple enough!!

• Reply 17 of 25
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

I can stream directly from my network storage to my Samsung TV.  There's no need to have a PC running itunes or plex.  I use the Apple TV mostly for Netflix and the occasional rental from itunes.  I've yet to find a nice way to stream from TV websites though.  Most seem to use flash so airplay won't work. 

• Reply 18 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

I can stream directly from my network storage to my Samsung TV.  There's no need to have a PC running itunes or plex.  I use the Apple TV mostly for Netflix and the occasional rental from itunes.  I've yet to find a nice way to stream from TV websites though.  Most seem to use flash so airplay won't work. 

Plex lets you watch any video including flash. Just go to the site and click the plex it link from your toolbar. Great work around for getting Hulu free on your TV and for watching pretty much anything you can watch on your mac on your TV

• Reply 19 of 25
    Let's hope Apple disables this hack the right way: By allowing third party apps on the AppleTV. I will be watching WWDC and keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    eduoeduo Posts: 22member
    Hmmmm, they must have copied some code Beamer app was using....... Still good to see that more apps are breaking loose from Apple's chains.
    Why would you say something like this? This doesn't use Airplay, which is what Beamer uses (nothing against Beamer, but it's an Airplay video player with transcoding built-in, not different from the Plex client for iOS, for example, when sending video to an ATV).