Android's consumer strength hasn't translated to enterprise, where Apple still dominates

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While Google's Android is the most popular smartphone platform among consumers, Apple's iOS remains the default choice for the majority of business customers activating phones and tablets, according to the latest data from Good Technology.

Good

In the first quarter of calendar 2013, iOS accounted for 75 percent of total device activations among enterprise users, Good Technology's latest Mobility Index Report revealed on Wednesday. The remaining 25 percent were Android devices, while other platforms took less than 1 percent.

While Apple's iOS remains dominant in the enterprise, Android has seen a slight gain among business customers over the last year. From the same period in 2012, iOS activation share fell five points this year, while Android was up 5 points.

However, much of that growth has come from tablets, where Android saw its biggest gains, according to Good. Android tablet activations almost doubled year over year in the first quarter of calendar 2013, chipping away at the dominance of Apple's iPad.

Good

Tablets are now so popular among business users that they accounted for 27 percent of total device activations in the workplace in the first quarter.

While tablets are on the rise, smartphones are still the most popular choice. In that segment, Android smartphone activations were flat when compared to the fourth quarter of 2012, the report noted.

When breaking down the results on a device-by-device basis, Apple is the clear winner, accounting for the five most popular choices: iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, latest-generation iPads, and iPad 2. A chart included in the report suggests the iPhone 3GS is the fifth-most popular option, but it's likely meant to represent the iPhone 4, as Apple no longer sells the iPhone 3GS.

Good

The most popular Android device in the enterprise is Samsung's Galaxy S3, which came in sixth among device activations. Apple's first-generation iPad took seventh, rounding out its presence in the top 10.

Good Technology's data was collected from more than 5,000 customers who work for "bellwether companies" in the financial services, healthcare, manufacturing, energy and utilities, legal, government, and high-tech industries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Apple? Succeeding in enterprise? Someone must have copied something down incorrectly somewhere!¡

• Reply 2 of 23
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple? Succeeding in enterprise? Someone must have copied something down incorrectly somewhere!¡

No, just wait until the billions of Samsung phones with Knox, which Samsung  copied  innovated from RIM, start showing up, it is then that...

...Apple is doomed™.

• Reply 3 of 23
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Businesses are wasting money on toys. Didn't they get the memo? /s
  • Reply 4 of 23
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Businesses probably don't walk into a carrier store and grab whatever Samsung has paid the salesperson to lie about :)
  • Reply 5 of 23
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

...Apple is doomed™.

You got it "trademarked" :)

• Reply 6 of 23
    It reads like a satire, but it's true. MS not even a player in the mobile enterprise.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

I really like how the first ever iPad still beats any other "competitive" tablet. I say this is amazing.

But in no time Apple's iOS will be pushed into utter irrelevance. /s

• Reply 8 of 23
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by megatrick View Post

It reads like a satire, but it's true. MS not even a player in the mobile enterprise.

That's not true!!!

I can clearly make out a faint red line hovering just a tiny little bit above the 0% line!  LOL

• Reply 9 of 23

Quote:

No, just wait until the billions of Samsung phones with Knox, which Samsung  copied  innovated from RIM, start showing up, it is then that...

...Apple is doomed™.

Except the only phones that run KNOX are the GS4, later model GS3's (early ones are missing hardware to run it) and I believe the Note II. So that billions turns into about as many iPhones as Apple sold last quarter.

• Reply 10 of 23
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    Apple devices in business???? Everyone knows you can't use overpriced toys in the enterprise. I still hear that only some Microsoft Windows product is required to carry out any type of business. Bill Gates has said many times that business people require Microsoft Office Suite to accomplish anything at all and tablets and smartphones that can only do one thing at a time are practically useless. A stylus is practically a necessity to manipulate on-screen objects because fingertips aren't accurate enough. I'm fairly certain there must be some mistake with this data. Apple and business in the same sentence? Ha! Don't make me laugh.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Not to worry. The Fandroid infestation rotting away under the floorboards will come out and spin this story.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Apple's hold on the enterprise market is hard to break into ... how ironic!

• Reply 13 of 23
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by megatrick View Post

I remember not 5 years ago, the local MS evangelist, trading in his iPhone for an whatever running WinMobile 6.1 saying it was the future of enterprise mobility, because WinPhone (TBA) was going to 'rock it in our pockets' (don't know if that was his jingle or his MS enterprise AD sales force's).

5 years later... MS is to the enterprise what VM, DB2, and RACF was (circa 1990)/is(behind the scenes any 30+ year old company still has a Zseries in its tech stack... like cities still have 100 year old components of their water and sewer system... too expensive to replace, too brittle to upgrade [See Pentium III/Win2000 servers still in production]).

• Reply 14 of 23
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    It could be that people in business have better insurance plans and can get better vision care and so don't need larger screens on their phones like the rest of the world clearly prefers.

Apple really needs to make a larger screen phone in case Obamacare leads to tightening of insurance plans for vision care. /s
  • Reply 15 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Not to worry. The Fandroid infestation rotting away under the floorboards will come out and spin this story.

And JeffDM continues to allow it. That's the really annoying part. 

• Reply 16 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And JeffDM continues to allow it. That's the really annoying part. 

He's fed up with it. He just can't be everywhere alone. There's a reason you're seeing more of it as of late.

• Reply 17 of 23
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member

Quote:

...Apple is doomed™.

someone's on drugsimageimageimageimage

• Reply 18 of 23
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    IPhone 3GS is what was issued nearly 2 years by my company and will updated not on 2 year cycle, but when new iOS is not supported, prob this fall. So the iPhone 3G numbers may be right.
  • Reply 19 of 23

and it was a good n size so those arguments don't hold water.

• Reply 20 of 23
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    megatrick wrote: »

It's a shame to as Windows 8 is actually a pretty good business OS. I would actually prefer a Nokia 925 over an iPhone but our company still gives us Blackberry's so we don't have a choice. Not to say the new Z10 isn't a good phone, it is, probably the best Blackberry I have ever owned but it would be nice to have more choices. I do like Z10's docking station out of any I've used, very, very cool.