Apple reportedly inks 'iRadio' licensing deal with Warner ahead of WWDC

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Sometimes it isn't all about winning something, sometimes it is all about not losing.

In the sense that iTunes needs to stay relevant yes, this is an important move. In terms of direct revenue, less so. We don't know how the service will work, of course, but I'd be surprised if is just a basic streaming service. Whatever the service is it's not a huge deal for me but for my kids it will be great. They turn over music like its nobody's business. I need a way for them to listen to whatever they want at a fixed price. Ideally there will be a way of listening off line.

• Reply 22 of 33
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    I can't see Apple putting ads in between songs, it doesn't seem like something Apple would do. I think iRadio might be a subscription service where the subscription fee is waived if you buy X number of songs a month. Certainly as you hear songs through iRadio you will be encouraged to download the track from the store. Alternatively the iRadio service might be an add on to iTunes Match which already charges a fee and doesn't appear* to have been massively popular (*I haven't heard Apple touting any numbers for Match which may be a sign it's not that popular and I don't know many people who use, but I have no hard evidence to back it up!)
  • Reply 23 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    This makes even more sense now. Reports are that "iRadio" will be tied into the existing 500M active iTunes accounts, giving Apple a way to extend iAds to customers outside of Apple users. If true it gives Apple a big new audience to offer up to advertisers and a way to move iAds from mobile to desktop.

http://www.examiner.com/article/apple-to-possibly-make-iradio-a-reality-with-warner-music-deal
  • Reply 24 of 33

Apple is often criticized for not giving its users choice. IRadio will give music lovers choice. Yet, some are now questioning why Apple is doing it. :)

• Reply 25 of 33
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    This makes even more sense now. Reports are that "iRadio" will be tied into the existing 500M active iTunes accounts, giving Apple a way to extend iAds to customers outside of Apple users. If true it gives Apple a big new audience to offer up to advertisers and a way to move iAds from mobile to desktop.

http://www.examiner.com/article/apple-to-possibly-make-iradio-a-reality-with-warner-music-deal

Yeah, I expected this would also end up in iTunes but will it also be a web-based service that users can access at work? Will they offer audio-based ads lie Spotify and, well, the radio? That would be branching out into a new area of ad support that would really have nothing to do with in-app iAd ads but it would certainly strengthen the ad service they have.

Tim Cook at D11: “Would Apple port an app from iOS to Android? We have no religious issue. If we thought it made sense to do that, we would do that. You can take the same philosophy and apply it to iCloud… Would it make sense for iCloud? It doesn’t today.” iRadio might actually be a way for Apple to profit from Android but I'd think that a web-based option would be more effective overall.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Being an ad-supported service they gain several million iPhone users that probably have to agree to targeted advertising to use it, as well as the necessary data-mining to make it work for the ad buyers. It may be just the trick to pump it up.

If Apple's "iRadio" is a free ad supported service I'll be highly disappointed and won't be using it.  There are enough companies out there using us a product rather than treating us as customers.  I've severely cut back on using "free" services and don't want to have any more in my life.  I'd gladly pay a nominal monthly subscription fee for "iRadio" to avoid ads and data mining.  With either ads or data mining, I'm out the door.

• Reply 27 of 33
    yensid98 wrote: »
    If Apple's "iRadio" is a free ad supported service I'll be highly disappointed and won't be using it.  There are enough companies out there using us a product rather than treating us as customers.  I've severely cut back on using "free" services and don't want to have any more in my life.  I'd gladly pay a nominal monthly subscription fee for "iRadio" to avoid ads and data mining.  With either ads or data mining, I'm out the door.

That makes me wonder if they could offer the service for free with an iDevice (and perhaps on a Mac via an app), or do that plus have the service be add supported for users accessing it via the web.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Thanks to ridiculously low data caps and tiered pricing, I've settled on free over the air radio instead. I might be the last person in America who would actually like an FM radio in my iPhone. ;P
  • Reply 29 of 33
    I might be the last person in America who would actually like an FM radio in my iPhone. ;P

The good news is your iPhone has had an FM receiver built into the chip that also deals with WiFi and Bluetooth. The bad news is there is no way to enable it. I'm not even sure jail breakers have tried.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    jcm722jcm722 Posts: 40member

Wake me up when they have Sony. As an old-timer, I know what Sony's properties are. BMG purchased RCA, then Sony purchased BMG and Columbia. That's a butt-load of music rights. There is so much radio to be had on the Web now, will this really make a difference? Some people like me, will not pay a fee, we will listen to the modest of amount of commercials.

• Reply 31 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The good news is your iPhone has had an FM receiver built into the chip that also deals with WiFi and Bluetooth. The bad news is there is no way to enable it. I'm not even sure jail breakers have tried.

Might make for an interesting project for someone, but I'm not qualified in the slightest to move on this one.

• Reply 32 of 33
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

If it's a service like Spotify, I'm all in and will dump Spotify.

If it's a service like Pandora, ...meh.

• Reply 33 of 33
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    I don't care.