Apple releases iTunes 11.0.4, fixing sync bugs and iTunes Store login issue

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday released iTunes 11.0.4, a minor update for its media player and digital storefront that promises to address issues related to syncing and purchasing content.

iTunes 11

"This update fixes a problem that may cause iTunes to quit if you switch between wired and wireless syncing and addresses an issue that may require you to log into the iTunes Store repeatedly," the official release notes state.

iTunes 11.0.4 is now available for download from the Mac App Store, and will be provided through Apple's website.

The last iTunes update, version 11.0.3, arrived last month, bringing a new MiniPlayer featuring artwork and a progress bar. That update also included an improved Songs View in the software.

The last major update to the software was released as iTunes 11 last November. It featured a complete overhaul of the application's design, along with a new storefront and tighter integration with Apple's iCloud suite of services.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

I am feeling more and more annoyed by the countless OS and app updates.  Most of them are just bug fixes.  Why can't the developers include one or two new features in addition to the bug fixes? 

• Reply 2 of 23
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tzeshan wrote: »
    I am feeling more and more anoyed by the countless OS and app updates.  Most of them are just bug fixes.  Why can't the developers include one or two new features in addition to the bug fixes? 

It doesn't make for good business on many levels.

Have you had a boss or client that kept changing up what they wanted after the plans or design was set? This isn't unlike what adding new features to every OS or app update would be like. You are trying to smooth out any issues going forward but then you are told to add or change this or that. This not only means you may not effectively resolve the current bugs but you may very well add more issues to the mix. This sort of this needs to be done very carefully.

Now, I'd like for them to have less bugs (which seems to be the case with iOS and Mac OS as they are updated less frequently than in years past) but if they are need to fix bugs I'd like them to do that with a laser focus for a tertiary update thereby keeping the minor features and major features to secondary and primary updates, respectively.

I'd also like them to make updates on the Mac and iOS invisible to the user by default. When there is an app update it does it automatically when you are on WiFi, with options to disable this in Settings. I can go months without ever accessing the App Store on my iPhone and iPad so when I do there usually dozens of updates waiting.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I am feeling more and more annoyed by the countless OS and app updates.  Most of them are just bug fixes.  Why can't the developers include one or two new features in addition to the bug fixes? 

That's our Apple users; when we get new features, they whine about bugs. When they fix bugs, they whine about no new features.

• Reply 4 of 23
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Have you had a boss or client that kept changing up what they wanted after the plans or design was set? This isn't unlike what adding new features to every OS or app update would be like. You are trying to smooth out any issues going forward but then you are told to add or change this or that. This not only means you may not effectively resolve the current bugs but you may very well add more issues to the mix. This sort of this needs to be done very carefully.

Now, I'd like for them to have less bugs (which seems to be the case with iOS and Mac OS as they are updated less frequently than in years past) but if they are need to fix bugs I'd like them to do that with a laser focus for a tertiary update thereby keeping the minor features and major features to secondary and primary updates, respectively.

I'd also like them to make updates on the Mac and iOS invisible to the user by default. When there is an app update it does it automatically when you are on WiFi, with options to disable this in Settings. I can go months without ever accessing the App Store on my iPhone and iPad so when I do there usually dozens of updates waiting.

Google is even a worse offender.  The recent Chrome app update version is 27.0.1453.10.  Look at the third digit.  They have turned over the software for thousands of times.  I think the developers are very careless. 

But at least the description included several improvements. 

• Reply 5 of 23
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Any improvement on poor iTunes Match 'matching.' So many albums that fail to match 1-3 songs. And yes, they are the Exact same release as on iTunes, and they are 256k+.

I got about a third through our 2500 CDs and gave up.

• Reply 6 of 23

Google is even a worse offender.  The recent Chrome app update version is 27.0.1453.10.  Look at the third digit.  They have turned over the software for thousands of times.  I think the developers are very careless. 

I think Google's numbering is more authentic in that regard. If you look at Mac OS and iOS point update betas you see much of the same high number revisions in the build numbers that don't propagate to the final OS value.

One could argue that higher numbers just mean they fix and test issues in a more isolated way, not that they have more issues, and that Apple's bug fix clustering is less efficient and slower. As I started previously I'd love for users never to have to worry about these update versions at all.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Why can't the developers include one or two new features in addition to the bug fixes?

agreed. to hell with the bug fixes. i keep waiting for the developers of the fart app i downloaded to add an apocalyptic augmented reality layer feature.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

…i keep waiting for the developers of the fart app i downloaded to add an apocalyptic augmented reality layer feature.

Wherein the gas passes and a green Terminator 2-style mushroom cloud shows up on your phone and on the phones of everyone around you?

• Reply 9 of 23
    oneof52oneof52 Posts: 113member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wherein the gas passes and a green Terminator 2-style mushroom cloud shows up on your phone and on the phones of everyone around you?

Perfect!

• Reply 10 of 23
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

I just checked for any updates in iTunes and it says this i am up to date. 

Never mind.....it is in the App Store...my bad...

• Reply 11 of 23
    geekdad wrote: »

I got that but then it said there was an update in MAS. I'm not too far from Cupertino so location make be a factor in it showing it up.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I got that but then it said there was an update in MAS. I'm not too far from Cupertino so location make be a factor in it showing it up.

you are right it was in the App Store but not through iTunes yet....

• Reply 13 of 23
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Quote:

I am feeling more and more annoyed by the countless OS and app updates.

Maybe that's why in Mac OS 10.8 Software Update even when there are multiple items to download, they are all counted as "1 update available", regardless of how many items there actually are.  And regardless of whethere they are OS updates, iTunes updates, iPhoto updates, iMovie updates, etc.

• Reply 14 of 23

Quote:

What about the third digit? That's a branch build number that gets incremented for each new build done after a commit to that branch. Chrome has lots of commits done over a version cycle so obviously that number will end up being high. Why exactly am I supposed to be outraged over that? I'm guessing you don't actually do any software development because that there might be numerous commits during a development cycle is really nothing out of the ordinary.

• Reply 15 of 23
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    solipsismx wrote: »

That is likely the build number. If they are doing continuous integration, they will build the software for every check-in and run automated tests against the build. So you might see that number as excessive, but considering they likely built and did a full automated feature regression test over one thousand times it is actually a good thing. We do this as well as continuous deployment where I work. So every night the last build to pass the tests gets deployed to users. It can work quite well if you do it right.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

"Just"?

As a huge fan of software that WORKS I like bug fixes.

• Reply 17 of 23
    cgs268cgs268 Posts: 55member
    Great. Now can we have cover flow back??? Please!!?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Glad they fixed the multiple log-ins to purchase music — that was driving me crazy.

I still can't figure out though in this new layout how to paste an album cover in when the Apple store can't find one. 

• Reply 19 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgs268 View Post

Great. Now can we have cover flow back??? Please!!?

I want that back too, felt like I had a jukebox.  And I liked shuffling through the album artwork.  

• Reply 20 of 23
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

I still can't figure out though in this new layout how to paste an album cover in when the Apple store can't find one. 

Select the track (or group of tracks) you want to update.  Right click (or Control click) and select Get Info.  Select the Artwork tab. Either drag or paste artwork then click OK.

Google image search is a great way to find artwork. If I have the CD, I'll scan the booklet if I can't find it online.

Have fun!