Apple reportedly throttling iPhone and iPad cellular data speeds for top three US carriers (U: nope)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 103
    diplicationdiplication Posts: 609member
    Off topic, with everyone posting screenshots of Speedtest.net results, some people are revealing their recent online interests with the targeted ads included in the screenshots.
  • Reply 42 of 103

" Brown writes. "The OS eats much more data, even when in idle mode, than most phones on the market."

Well I guess that explains why iPhones show so much more data usage over other brands. It is not really because they are used more it is because the phones are burning up data even when idle.

• Reply 43 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

If carriers want to throttle then they should at least do it on all phones equally or none at all. It seems unfair to throttle an iPhone and not an Android. That certainly explains the benchmarks on speedtest and others from the same location where an Android phone gets far faster speeds.

Happy to hear my carrier Sprint doesn't throttle LTE at least. Sprint might be slower about building out their LTE network but going multi-mode will pay off big time in the future.

Why should someone who has a phone that does not burn through data while idle be penalized because an iPhone is burning through data while idle?

Maybe Apple needs to go back and fix their OS so it not a data hog.

• Reply 44 of 103
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I can't comment on the speed difference.  But is that how the SpeedTest app looks on the iPad?  My God, that's garish!

• Reply 45 of 103
    geochiefgeochief Posts: 3member

Your GS4 has an LTE connection. Your iPad had an HSPA connection.

• Reply 46 of 103
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

When ATT updated there Network here in Salt Lake, my LTE ipad was getting 32 mb downloads now it is around 24mb.  I think the article is wrong. LOL.

• Reply 47 of 103
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    IIRC, Apple users download more stuff (and are over-represented online) because they are more active users and possibly have a more pleasant, less fatiguing experience. The result is double the data Android users probably pull down.
  • Reply 48 of 103
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 863member
    Have to believe this story. Reason is, here in NYC towers are plentiful and at first I was getting 40-50 on the download side. Now 20 is average. Yes more people are now using 4G however the drop regardless of the time of day or place seems to be throttling
  • Reply 49 of 103
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Off topic, with everyone posting screenshots of Speedtest.net results, some people are revealing their recent online interests with the targeted ads included in the screenshots.

I guess geekdad is looking for a geekmom

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 50 of 103
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

My download speeds are awesome, but my upload speeds suck ass:

• Reply 51 of 103
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidplate View Post

The S4 appears to have connected to a server in Pima, AZ and the iPad 4 connected to a server in Phoenix, AZ. Therefore the comparison is suspect.

I let the program choose what it connected to...i didn't touch the settings at all.....I am not saying one is better than the other...we all know speed tests vary a lot.

• Reply 52 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

My download speeds are awesome, but my upload speeds suck ass:

that is great DL speed......but how much do you really upload?

• Reply 53 of 103
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,834member
    If the carriers did not throttle speeds we probably would be enjoying speeds twice current right?
  • Reply 54 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I guess geekdad is looking for a geekmom

lol....no....not what happened....Look at Mazda 3s screenshot too....the app has random ads.....

• Reply 55 of 103
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I don't like the sound of this. There is no justification for throttling in secret. If Apple is involved in this it tantamount to abuse of power. I find it hard to believe, I have to say. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
  • Reply 56 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

I can't comment on the speed difference.  But is that how the SpeedTest app looks on the iPad?  My God, that's garish!

yeah it is looks awful huh?

• Reply 57 of 103
    Does it throttle network speeds if I'm using one unlocked on a non-supported network? Because I'm using one unlocked without Apple's consent.
  • Reply 58 of 103
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    geekdad wrote: »
    lol....no....not what happened....Look at Mazda 3s screenshot too....the app has random ads.....

Mazda's looking for a little sexy 3 Series lol.
  • Reply 59 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Mazda's looking for a little sexy 3 Series lol.

lol :-) right after i posted the screen shots I noticed the ad.....I cringed......and thought maybe no one will notice......lol

• Reply 60 of 103
    I can't agree that they are throttling. I just ran speedtest over AT&T LTE and got 32.23 mbps down and 18.41 mbps up. Looking over past speedtest results I got 34.03/9.90 on May 31, 34.64/11.85 May 21. Pretty consistent and definitely above the 10 mbps cap mentioned in the article.