Apple installing WWDC banners: 'Where a whole new world is developing'

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Can you confirm (sorry, wrong choice of word) that it doesn't have 'any' effect I'm performance? It doesn't clear RAM? You might be right, but I thought opening too many Safari tabs can indeed be too excessive and causes web pages to reload when you go back to a previously opened tab.

Or can't I make this comparison?

Bit off topic, but if they announce new iDevices with more RAM I'm back on topic!

You can use the Fast App Switcher (the official name) to close out apps that may be running in some regard, but just being in FAS doesn't mean they are in RAM or using CPU cycles. The window for that is quite small until there is an error.

You can tell its primary purpose is to list apps you've used recently because they are listed in the chronological descending order from left to right. You can even prove it by power cycling your iDevice then going right into FAS immediately after it reboots. All those icons will be in there in the same order just as they were before you restarted.

PS: Remember that issue with the original iPad that caused Safari to reload a page after leaving the app for just a second. That has to be my worst Apple experience.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Thanks for the quick response! (I'm terrible at keeping a discussion in all these threads, so much to read)

I know that the power recycle doesn't do anything, and indeed lists all your apps as they were. S thanks for the confirmation.

On the iPad, mine still needs to reload a Safari tab every now and then. But it's a 3rd gen...? That shouldn't happen, right?
  • Reply 83 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    On the iPad, mine still needs to reload a Safari tab every now and then. But it's a 3rd gen...? That shouldn't happen, right?

I wouldn't expect it to. I can't recall mine having that problem but I don't think I use it too much for Safari. (I think the most activity my iPad 3 gets is from playing Kingdom Rush)
  • Reply 84 of 92
    solipsismx wrote: »

I wouldn't expect it to. I can't recall mine having that problem but I don't think I use it too much for Safari. (I think the most activity my iPad 3 gets is from playing Kingdom Rush)

1. Thanks

2. Kingdom Rush! Thanks #2

I got into Hit Tennis 3 and though I hardly ever play a game on the iPad, or iPhone for that matter, I'll try your app as well. I think the few games I do play all come from posts like yours.
  • Reply 85 of 92
    scottyltdscottyltd Posts: 30member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

That's what I meant. People who switch from Android to iOS and assume everything needs to be manually maintained. "Where's the resource manager?" etc.

At least none have asked me about how to defrag the damn thing.

Not a recent Android user BTW. 'Switched' 4 years ago. Stop labeling people. :-)

• Reply 86 of 92
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    People always say this, but Apple TV already has apps.

If by "has apps" you mean "can run any app that runs on my phone/tablet" ... Why?

What's the point of being able to run a Notes app on your TV? What's the point of being able to run any app designed for mobile on a stationary device? Whats the point of being able to run a portrait app on a landscape device?

Most apps can run landscape just fine.
    A Notes and Calendar app would also be useful so you can flip on the TV in the morning and check your schedule and tasks. Same for a Weather or Stock app. Or Flipboard to scan your favorite sites.

There are a ton of potentially useful apps for aTV. While you can do quite a bit with AirPlay having native apps designed for simple remote control interaction would be highly desirable.

Especially for games with actual game controllers. AirPlay lags and I'm not convinced that 802.11AC will consistently fix this. I'd pay $249 for a more powerful aTV that could natively play games and have apps.
  • Reply 87 of 92
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    I'd like to know what people think they'll accomplish selecting each letter individually with the Apple Remote as they type in a note to themselves in Notes on the Apple TV.

The Apple TV is no place for native "apps".

First you you can create notes on any device and still want to view them on the TV.
    Second you can connect a Bluetooth keyboard to your aTV today.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5633

Some folks find it really useful for navigating their iTunes library

http://www.macworld.com/article/2039722/how-to-use-a-bluetooth-keyboard-with-the-apple-tv.html

I dont have one since other than passwords I don't enter text much on the aTV but there are also no apps that could use it. Maybe YouTube...right now I favorite a video on my phone or iPad because finding videos on the aTV YouTube is a pain in the ass otherwise. Hmmm. I'm going to get a cheap keyboard for aTV duty if that works well with my apple keyboard.

Mail would be useful on the aTV too. Folks send me links to YouTube videos all the time. I may not want to use aTV as my primary email device but being able to easily pull up email on the TV to view content would be really useful.

Folks that poo-poo native apps on the aTV simply have no imagination. The TV is the largest screen in the house capable of far more than what most families do with it. Frankly, as large as they are today I can see folks running productivity/content creation apps on the from couch distances that a decade ago would have been too small. But today 1080p on a 50"+ screen results in a highly usable screen experience IF you design your apps for it.
  • Reply 88 of 92
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

PhilBoogie View Post

Depends on how much you do after exiting Safari. It has the same RAM privileges as everything else, and gets moved closer to removal as you open more apps.

On the iPhone 4, I could cycle between Safari, AlienBlue, and The Magazine without any of them needing to re-load, but open a fourth app and things started needing re-loaded. With the iPhone 5 I can cycle several more apps before that happens.

• Reply 90 of 92
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Long range lens photo from my iPhone 6 from my front porch here in Ireland!
  • Reply 91 of 92
    vorsos wrote: »
    PhilBoogie go_quote.gif

Depends on how much you do after exiting Safari. It has the same RAM privileges as everything else, and gets moved closer to removal as you open more apps.
    On the iPhone 4, I could cycle between Safari, AlienBlue, and The Magazine without any of them needing to re-load, but open a fourth app and things started needing re-loaded. With the iPhone 5 I can cycle several more apps before that happens.

Ah, good to know, thanks.

@Ireland Funny!
  • Reply 92 of 92
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member

Quote:

Originally Posted by leighr View Post

...The new world could be the www world - signifying a shift to web apps (ie. iLife cloud).

Quote:

Originally Posted by leighr View Post

A system-wide, simple way to wirelessly move data, documents, photos etc. is needed, in order to progress the operating system. I'm not talking about an app that allows it, rather a built-in API that ALL apps can seamlessly plug into. An iOS feature similar to air-drop would be great. 

Ahh... thanks for listening to my suggestions from last week Apple! image