Apple reportedly throttling iPhone and iPad cellular data speeds for top three US carriers (U: nope)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    only about 25% of the time do i exceed 12Mb/s down. upload is generally comparable to or better than the download. downtown san francisco here. time of day and location of test server don't seem to have much of an impact.

[IMG ALT="pooch's speedtest.net results, sorta"]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/26194/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 62 of 103
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    I think what people (particularly the first comparison with the S4 and the iPad 4) is that not all areas are the same.

Here (Rogers) LTE says LTE, and 3G otherwise on the Retina iPad.

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/26197/[/IMG]

Like, here, I get better total bandwidth on LTE (totalling 56Mbps) versus the Cable company which gets asymmetric 50/3.5 (47Mbps) but it I turn LTE off, I get something closer to 14/3 or 12/1.2

Now keep in mind, that when speedtest.net uses GPS coordinates, it doesn't mean you're getting the actual fastest server. Hence why "Local" and "Seattle" are shown.

Other people trying to replicate the throttling tests need to test with their landline internet first to determine which server they would normally get the lowest latency from, and then test the iPad/iPhone with the LTE on and LTE off. I know with Rogers here, there is some indication that Rogers may be routing the traffic to Toronto before going back out to Seattle. Remember that an east-to-west ping is about 75ms
  • Reply 63 of 103
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOtelli View Post

You're Holding it Wrong!

Probably true.  Two weeks ago I was at some offices in their waiting area waiting to meet someone. I guy from an office comes up to the receptionist with an iPhone clutched in his hand, peering at the screen.  He tells the secretary he just needs to pop out to make a call, and exits the security doors and heads into the large stairwell behind me.  I asked the receptionist if he couldn't get a signal and she replied in the affirmative.  I asked if it was just him or do iPhones have a problem.  She laughed and said it was iPhones and that her Samsung didn't have a problem.  I pulled my Samsung Wave out and it was showing five bars full signal strength and told the receptionist.  We laughed.

• Reply 64 of 103
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victory2013 View Post

" Brown writes. "The OS eats much more data, even when in idle mode, than most phones on the market."

Well I guess that explains why iPhones show so much more data usage over other brands. It is not really because they are used more it is because the phones are burning up data even when idle.

Er ... no, it doesn't explain it at all.

You seem to have misunderstood what has been pointed out on the surveys for years: despite their being more Android devices in use, the vast majority of them are not being used as anything other than dumb phones. This has nothing to do with data usage.

The surveys are not measuring how much data is being used (because that's a pretty unimportant figure); they are measuring the number of people using the device to eat the data. Here's an example:

http://creativebits.org/ios_users_surf_156x_more_android_users

http://www.cultofmac.com/218958/ios-devices-on-top-of-the-clouds-as-the-most-popular-way-to-use-in-flight-internet/ (inflight figures just for fun).

When they measure this stuff, they are looking at who accesses the sites and what phones they are using, and the measurements show that the vast majority of people surf the sites using iOS - how much data they consume while they do it is neither here nor there. This is why Google puts much more effort into app support on the iOS: because it knows that iOS users surf more and, by the same token, buy more stuff. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1ddj2a/why_are_googles_apps_consistently_betterlooking/

Data being used while the phone is being idle would not show up in the site survey unless the phone was being used to access the site. So however often the iPhone pings servers or checks your current location doesn't affect the figures. Moreover, measuring the site figures takes into account access using wifi and cellular, which gives a better overall picture.

Now I think about it though, there was one survey that made the same mistake you just made. They measured data instead of users then released an article claiming  that there were more people using Google Maps than iOS maps, simply because more data was being consumed by Google Maps. As it turned out, the reason was because iOS consumes 80% less data than Google Maps for the same operations, which has nothing to do with users.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/apple-maps-uses-80-less-data-than-google-maps-1101501

Now, according to AI:

Quote:

Because Apple is in complete control of the code running all of its devices, it can be posited that the company instituted the bandwidth caps at the behest of its partner carriers.

Why is everyone so surprised? Does anyone seriously think that any carrier (or any ISP for that matter) would allow any smartphone to run rampant across without any way of limiting usage? I'd always assumed that this was happening. 

And why don't the same restrictions apply to Android users? 

Well, what Android users?

According the surveys, the vast majority of data usage (through numbers of users) comes from iOS. Now when you couple the vast amount of time that iOS users spend on line with the amount of data that iOS uses, then I can see why the carriers could be worried. Think about the number of times iOS access YouTube while they're on a train, or a bus.... it adds up.

And this is really where Apple is really dropping the ball. If they are planning for an always-connected cloud world of media streaming and pay-as-you-go TV then they have to own their own pipes; it's as simple as that. Otherwise, usage caps and throttling will kill the services on the day they're released.

• Reply 65 of 103
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I don't like the sound of this. There is no justification for throttling in secret. If Apple is involved in this it tantamount to abuse of power. I find it hard to believe, I have to say. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Oh, you can safely believe it. The carriers would not allow the iPhone on their network if they couldn't throttle it. Same goes for any smartphone. What I find annoying is that these services are often billed as 'unlimited usage' with no real mention of a throttle or a cap.

Apple needs its own networks.

• Reply 66 of 103
    From my experience, T-mobile doesn't need a capped speed as their network never gets good speed anyway.
  • Reply 67 of 103
    td912td912 Posts: 26member
    Looks like they're also using different test servers. One says Pima, AZ and the other says Phoenix, AZ. There's a lot more variables to connection speed than a simple speed test, or even just looking through obscure plist files.
  • Reply 68 of 103
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    Apple sleep with the enemy, because they have no choice. But one day, the carriers will be carrion. And when that day comes to pass, it will be good.

BTW, here in the UK, we get lots of data for little money. Three (3) in particular are excellent for that.
  • Reply 69 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

The S4 shows an LTE indicator, the iPad does not.

Hey JollyPaul, 

can you elaborate a bit more? My iPhone 5 will show LTE while on an LTE network. I am in Finland and have the 100Mbps package and it is pretty darn fast. On my iPad Mini, I too have an LTE SIM but it does not show an LTE connection. Only 3G. Is this because of the software inside the Mini? Is it actually connected via LTE but only showing 3G? 

Kiitos

• Reply 70 of 103
    Throttling is normal. Cellular networks are not powerful enough to serve too many people. That's why on NY or Christmas you may not even be able to initiate a phone call. As long as they don't throttle me everywhere all the time it's fine.
  • Reply 71 of 103
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

2 pages of tech-talk.  And not a single link for the hack to stop this from happening.

My Verizon iPhone5 is JB on 6.1.2.. still looking for a fix to stop the throttling.  If its even happening.

• Reply 72 of 103
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

2 pages of tech-talk.  And not a single link for the hack to stop this from happening.

My Verizon iPhone5 is JB on 6.1.2.. still looking for a fix to stop the throttling.  If its even happening.

Just google hacked verizon carrier profile.  It should offer the site itweakios.com.  It's on there under latest news on the right.  I can't link to it because our web filters block it here at work.  

• Reply 73 of 103
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Hey JollyPaul, 

can you elaborate a bit more? My iPhone 5 will show LTE while on an LTE network. I am in Finland and have the 100Mbps package and it is pretty darn fast. On my iPad Mini, I too have an LTE SIM but it does not show an LTE connection. Only 3G. Is this because of the software inside the Mini? Is it actually connected via LTE but only showing 3G? 

Kiitos

I don't know, none of my iPads have cellular. Knowing my iPhone 5 has an LTE indicator I assumed the iPad would as well.

• Reply 74 of 103
    Yes, Apple does not give in to carrier requests.

Apple controls all the code so they all need to make a statement as to why.
    It just looks so bad on Apple and sells Android.
  • Reply 75 of 103
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

Quote:

Hey JollyPaul, 

Kiitos

You may have LTE disabled in your cellular settings on the Mini. Go to Settings -> General -> Cellular and verify that LTE is enabled. If it is enabled, try toggling it off for a few seconds and then back on to see if it then connects via LTE.

There is a substantial speed difference. 

• Reply 76 of 103
    Just tested my IP5 with v.6.1.4 ATT with LTE indicator on. L.I.C.,NY 56ms ping, 43.69mbps dowm and 10.18 mbps up. Pretty fast.
  • Reply 77 of 103
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Because there's also two pages of demostrated experience it ISN'T happenning anyway. Regardless of the guy trying to promote his "hack" service.

Crikey: a service promotion gets taken seriousely? Like when iFixit whines about product being "hard" to open....

BTW, me? 20 plus in NYC wandering Central Park, less about secret code amazingly discoved by a guy who'll sell you a fix and more about the usuals: server speed, service traffic and tower location versus sender location.

• Reply 78 of 103
    wally626wally626 Posts: 72member

iPhone 5 LTE normally get better than 30 mbps up sometimes over 40 mbps. Upload is another issue. Generally it is 2.5 mbps, the display needle will hit 38 to 40 kbps for a little bit then fall to zero for the rest of the upload time, so the average comes out 2.5.

• Reply 79 of 103
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

I think it is because your iPhone radio supports your carrier's LTE frequency however the iPad only supports LTE in the USA. That is why Apple changed the name of the product from iPad with WiFi and LTE to iPad with WiFi and Cellular.

• Reply 80 of 103
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

Yes, Apple does not give in to carrier requests. Apple controls all the code so they all need to make a statement as to why. It just looks so bad on Apple and sells Android.

There's no smoking gun here.  Wow, there are some carrier-specific configuration parameters in iOS and one of them is called, ominously enough, "Service Req Throttle" and another is called "Throttling Parameters".  So what?  Look at the value of the second parameter: failure_timer_5: 720.  Maybe just maybe this is related to the iPhone adjusting automatically to network failures? 

You know if you listen to Strawberry Fields backwards if kinda sounds like someone saying "I buried Paul."  That's about as relevant as these iOS parameter setting names.