Galaxy S4 tops sales at Verizon, Sprint & T-Mobile stores; Apple's iPhone 5 leads at AT&T

Comments

• Reply 41 of 96
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member
    No, I am not. I can gladly accept (well-argued) negative comments.

I've never seen you do that.
  • Reply 42 of 96
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member
    One interesting tidbit was that the Note 2 was holding 3rd place at these carriers. That kind of wipes out the argument that phablets (god I hate that word) aren't selling.
  • Reply 43 of 96
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    jungmark wrote: »
    No one is thinking otherwise but to scream Sammy is beating Apple and you don't have all the facts, is misleading and corrupt.

It's like declaring Romney victorious but only counting the southern states.
    You forgot to list all your Apple products. Since when is a big screen considered new tech. NFC? Ask a teen about that one. See what you get as a response.

Regarding large screen... From the horses mouth-

http://allthingsd.com/20130529/apples-tim-cook-the-full-d11-interview-video/

Go to about minute 40. IMO I view Tim's comments as not being tech ready. Thus one could say needs new tech to implement. The more complete answer starts around minute 35. Imo it appears that people are happy with their s3 and s4s etc... So sounds like excuses and not legitimate reasons to not produce a large screen version.... IMO.
  • Reply 44 of 96
    andrzejlsandrzejls Posts: 84member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrustyMcLovin View Post

I don't undertand why some people need to be such jerks when long time Apple users post critical comments. Are you really that indoctrinated that you cannot accept anything but positive comments?!

Quote:

I don't understand why some people need to be such jerks when long time Apple users post critical comments. Are you really that indoctrinated that you cannot accept anything but positive comments?!

Yes,  he is. Check his other posts and you will see the pattern.

• Reply 45 of 96
    andrzejlsandrzejls Posts: 84member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No, I am not. I can gladly accept (well-argued) negative comments.

Can you provide an example?

• Reply 46 of 96
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    v5v wrote: »
    That old wag is a tiresome excuse apologists use to dismiss any critical remark as a "concern troll."

The premise that stating one's experience automatically makes them a troll completely ignores the notion that a critical comment from a real user is actually quite likely to be framed in context, i.e. "I usually LIKE Apple products, as evidenced by my owning every single product they've ever made, so you know I'm not just bashing Apple when I say I really don't care for this particular thing."

Have you heard any fan describe that subject with "I've been a fan since... I've own every thing they made"?

"I've been a fan of the Phillies since 1989. I've been to the Vet and CBP numerous times. I saw game 4 of the WS in 2008. but this years team is the worst ever. "

No fan does that. And if you are looking at an Apple news site, you shouldn't have to declare your interest or fandom.
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    Regarding large screen... From the horses mouth-

http://allthingsd.com/20130529/apples-tim-cook-the-full-d11-interview-video/

Go to about minute 40. IMO I view Tim's comments as not being tech ready. Thus one could say needs new tech to implement. The more complete answer starts around minute 35. Imo it appears that people are happy with their s3 and s4s etc... So sounds like excuses and not legitimate reasons to not produce a large screen version.... IMO.

Apple isn't going to announce anything until it's ready. But there are trade offs with a larger screen. So apple is looking for tech to minimize the trade offs.
  • Reply 47 of 96
    Nope not a troll. Everything I own is apple, 2 mac pros ( please we need new ones ) 2 mac minis, 2 iMacs, 3 macbook pro laptops and 3 iPads. I never said a bigger screen was a new technology but its a very cool feature when you want to show your friends or a person next to you a video. I own a production company and its nice to show people some of the work we do at network meetings or casually bumping into someone. An on the go portfolio without carrying around an iPad.

Another cool feature about the galaxy S4 is being able to control your TV with the IR remote. I just tried it a few minutes ago and its awesome. I controlled Fios TV and my Panasonic Tv.

You might not like NFC technology but its very cool to take a picture and share it with your spouse easily. Although you can do it with email or Instant Messaging, you can share larger files like Videos with NFC with ease.

The iPhone is a great polished phone, but if you like technology the S4 is a cool phone.

Here are a couple of things I dont like about the S4. Your phone messages are stored in a separate voicemail app.

Synching this phone with iCloud just isnt going to happen. Contacts go over pretty well but the Calendar thing has me baffled.

Now if you want to believe I'm a troll thats just fine, but there's a reason why Samsung is taking away phones sales from Apple.
  • Reply 48 of 96
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

I've never seen you do that.

You haven't made any well-argued comments that I can recall.....
  • Reply 49 of 96
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I don't understand why some people need to be such jerks when long time Apple users post critical comments. Are you really that indoctrinated that you cannot accept anything but positive comments?!

You've never read my Rules of the Troll, have you? 

Explain why ownership of Apple products supports an argument. Explain why this must be stated by so many people. Also, explain why every post that does that always begins with said statement and have ", but…" in them. That's comma, space, but. As in "I love Apple, but". "I own Apple stock, but".

If they actually had an argument, they'd post the argument.

• Reply 50 of 96
    You haven't made any well-argued comments that I can recall.....

I wasn't saying you had to have agreed with me but rather with anyone. And yes, I believe I have.
  • Reply 51 of 96
    stefstef Posts: 87member
    At Verizon store last week. Asked about new phones. Sure said the sales guy. Do you want a Samsung 3 or a Samsung 4? Don't you offer iPhones? Sure said the sales guy. Do you want an iPhone 4 or a 4s? Don't you offer the iPhone 5? Sure said the sales guy ... Walk into a Verizon store and hear it for yourself.
  • Reply 52 of 96
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Nope not a troll. Everything I own is apple, 2 mac pros ( please we need new ones ) 2 mac minis, 2 iMacs, 3 macbook pro laptops and 3 iPads. I never said a bigger screen was a new technology but its a very cool feature when you want to show your friends or a person next to you a video. I own a production company and its nice to show people some of the work we do at network meetings or casually bumping into someone. An on the go portfolio without carrying around an iPad.

Another cool feature about the galaxy S4 is being able to control your TV with the IR remote. I just tried it a few minutes ago and its awesome. I controlled Fios TV and my Panasonic Tv.

You might not like NFC technology but its very cool to take a picture and share it with your spouse easily. Although you can do it with email or Instant Messaging, you can share larger files like Videos with NFC with ease.

The iPhone is a great polished phone, but if you like technology the S4 is a cool phone.

Here are a couple of things I dont like about the S4. Your phone messages are stored in a separate voicemail app.

Synching this phone with iCloud just isnt going to happen. Contacts go over pretty well but the Calendar thing has me baffled.

Now if you want to believe I'm a troll thats just fine, but there's a reason why Samsung is taking away phones sales from Apple.
    You can use Bump to share photos and such.
    Comcast has an app to change channels too.

Not every Sammy sale is a loss for Apple.
  • Reply 53 of 96
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    jungmark wrote: »
    You can use Bump to share photos and such.
    Comcast has an app to change channels too.

Not every Sammy sale is a loss for Apple.

Do people not realize that iOS offers sharing via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to another iOS device?
  • Reply 54 of 96
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    "Well" is a relative term. Are they selling units, yes? Do people actually want them? They may not know...Commissions are a part of Samsung's marketing budget.

It's actually a huge disservice to customers when the sales people are being paid a commission to push certain types of phones. All honesty is out the window and disinformation takes over, all in the name of enhancing a paycheck. Mobile phone sales reps have replaced used car salesmen on the slimy meter. Reminds me of the days when you'd walk into CompUSA and listen to the sales people spreading false information or out right lying when a customer expressed interest in a Mac.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Not because I'm an Apple user, but I would tell every person new to smartphones to start with the cheapest model of iPhone, for these three reasons...

1. Don't have to worry about malware.
    2. Updates are immediately available.
    3. Apple's service is second to none.

Extra reasons...

4. The iOS ecosystem is the best in the world; software, services, content, apps, etc.
    5. The OS is rock solid, extremely simple to use and consistent across all devices.
    6. Apple is good at maintaining support for older devices than most other OEMs.

You'll notice not one of those things is a "feature" or EVER listed as a feature by any other OEM.

Please do not forget to mention the hardware ecosystem. The Apple hardware ecosystem is often forgotten but is a major asset. The physicial hardware connectivity solution doesn't change often and since Apple devices are so popular solutions abound. My mother needed a replacement charging cable for her HTC Evo. We had to drive to several stores and finally accepted one that wasn't exactly what we wanted. Every store had plenty of Apple cables though.
  • Reply 55 of 96
    Please do not forget to mention the hardware ecosystem. The Apple hardware ecosystem is often forgotten but is a major asset. The physicial hardware connectivity solution doesn't change often and since Apple devices are so popular solutions abound. My mother needed a replacement charging cable for her HTC Evo. We had to drive to several stores and finally accepted one that wasn't exactly what we wanted. Every store had plenty of Apple cables though.
    Are you stating you had to drive to multiple locations to find a usb-micro usb mini b? Possibly the single most used cable in the world. Used by ever single phone except iPhones. You are telling us that right?
  • Reply 56 of 96
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You've never read my Rules of the Troll, have you? 

Explain why ownership of Apple products supports an argument. Explain why this must be stated by so many people. Also, explain why every post that does that always begins with said statement and have ", but…" in them. That's comma, space, but. As in "I love Apple, but". "I own Apple stock, but".

If they actually had an argument, they'd post the argument.

There are long term Mac users who have Android phones. And people make that point, because they are new in order to avoid trolling allegations. Of course a troll would do that too, but any argument needs to be taken on its merits. 

I agree this isn't a place for discussion on why Android is better, there are plenty of fora for that.  However constructive criticism, particularly on Apple policy, is needed. 

• Reply 57 of 96
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Pl

Plus the analyst didn't count Apple stores. I bet a large number of iPhones are sold there regardless of carrier.

The article is about sale numbers at the CARRIERS, why would they count Apple store sales... They dont try to extrapolate market shares from those numbers, you can draw youre own conclusions.

Anyway its irrelevant here because all the sales numbers, market shares, or anecdotal evidences are always denied by the fanboys, regardless of the source.

• Reply 58 of 96
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple isn't going to announce anything until it's ready. But there are trade offs with a larger screen. So apple is looking for tech to minimize the trade offs.

Regarding the current Android large screen phones, they all use OLED or amoled  indeed.  The tradeoff are easy to spot if you put an iphone 5 or even an ipad mini side by side with those phones. On the Apple devices, the colors are much more accurate and vivid. That being said, I am not so sure the average consumers cares more about the colors then the screen size and resolution.

There is also a gap between Apple own devices, if I put the ipad mini side by side with my retina ipad3, the colors on the mini are much better too. If you look carefully at the screen you will notice the ipad 3 has better resolution, but from a distance the mini screen looks better. You will notice the same between an iphone 5 and an iphone 4s. This is due by Apple adoption of IPS on the iphone 5 and ipad mini.

I personnaly thinks Apple didnt want to used OLED, which means they just cant make a large screen phone without the device being heavy and thick for a phone. I think they will use IZGO, which allows them to use LED LCD and IPS, so the screens will look like the iphone 5, but the device will be thin and light.

This is becoming a major problem for Apple has Samsung is closing the gap in color accuracy.

http://samsunggalaxy-s4.info/color-super-amoled-screen-samsung-galaxy-s4-very-natural_774.html

Apple is about to lose on the screen war too. it absolutly must do something about its innovation this year or its hardware is going to be completly outdated on all fronts.

• Reply 59 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bob Carpenter View Post

Hey "Bob", looks like you forgot which one of your accounts you were in....the origianl post you are talking about was made under a different account. No way you are a troll...
  • Reply 60 of 96
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Regarding the current Android large screen phones, they all use OLED or amoled  indeed.  The tradeoff are easy to spot if you put an iphone 5 or even an ipad mini side by side with those phones. On the Apple devices, the colors are much more accurate and vivid. That being said, I am not so sure the average consumers cares more about the colors then the screen size and resolution.

There is also a gap between Apple own devices, if I put the ipad mini side by side with my retina ipad3, the colors on the mini are much better too. If you look carefully at the screen you will notice the ipad 3 has better resolution, but from a distance the mini screen looks better. You will notice the same between an iphone 5 and an iphone 4s. This is due by Apple adoption of IPS on the iphone 5 and ipad mini.

I personnaly thinks Apple didnt want to used OLED, which means they just cant make a large screen phone without the device being heavy and thick for a phone. I think they will use IZGO, which allows them to use LED LCD and IPS, so the screens will look like the iphone 5, but the device will be thin and light.

This is becoming a major problem for Apple has Samsung is closing the gap in color accuracy.

http://samsunggalaxy-s4.info/color-super-amoled-screen-samsung-galaxy-s4-very-natural_774.html

Apple is about to lose on the screen war too. it absolutly must do something about its innovation this year or its hardware is going to be completly outdated on all fronts.

>>>Apple is about to lose on the screen war too. it absolutly must do something about its innovation this year or its hardware is going to be completly outdated on all fronts.>>>

This year?  They've done absolutely nothing for 9 months now, the longest gap in a decade or so.  Stock down 4 out of the last 5 days right before WWDC.  Market hates Tim Cook and it hates his strategy, because by all appearances he has none.  Nobody here wants to believe it, but there will soon be quantifiable evidence Samsung has surpassed Apple in high-end phone sales.  It is really sad to watch.  The 5S will be a major flop with no screen size change..... consumers waited a year for what, a couple incremental/evolutionary spec changes.  Sad to watch this company become so boring.