Apple's in-store iPhone screen repair machine brings 'China to the Genius Room'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
As part of its new $149 iPhone screen replacement service, Apple has installed advanced display calibration machines at its retail stores that help simplify the process for employees.

Machine

A picture of the new machine was published this week by 512pixels.net, offering a glimpse at how iPhone 5 screens are replaced behind the scenes at Apple retail stores. Employees conduct the repair, and the machine is used afterward to automatically calibrate the display's functionality.

One Apple retail employee reportedly said the new machine is like "bringing China to the Genius Room," referencing the fact that Apple's iPhones are currently built overseas by Foxconn.

iPhone repairs are said to have been made a priority for employees of Apple's Genius Bars. With sales of 47.8 million iPhones last quarter alone, Apple's smartphone sold more than every other product in the company's portfolio combined.

Word first surfaced earlier this week that Apple began repairing iPhone 5 screens in its stores as part of the company's overhaul of its AppleCare warranty program. Previously, broken units were swapped out for refurbished devices.

AppleInsider first reported in May that Apple would begin conducting advanced in-store repairs of iOS devices. Beyond iPhone displays, retail employees will be able to replace cameras, sleep/wake buttons, and logic-boards by July.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 803member
    How big is this thing/ At first glance, it appears huge, but it ma actually be sitting on a table top?
  • Reply 2 of 39
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sflagel wrote: »
    How big is this thing/ At first glance, it appears huge, but it ma actually be sitting on a table top?

Mentally my first thought was that it was huge but I think that's a drawer in the lower-lefthand side of the picture.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    It looks like it's sitting on a counter top, so it looks like it's about 18" to 24" high. the countertop it's sitting on would be about 1" thick.
  • Reply 4 of 39

Photo probably taken by a blogger with an iPhone.  Excellent example of the confusion caused by not having the skills of a professional photographer.  RIP Chicago Sun-Times.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/31/chicago-sun-times-axes-all-staff-photographers-offers-reporters-iphoneography-training

• Reply 5 of 39
    jusjeffjusjeff Posts: 5member
    Display calibration device?
    I've repaired a bunch of screens and never had a problem with color, or saw a need to calibrate.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

If the green button is for a thumb to press it would be an indictor of the size as are the wire thicknesses and wall socket attachments.

My question is what about iPads? We have a quote for $150 for an iPad screen replacement but not from Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    I guess this machine is a little too small for Apple to be pulling a Turk on us with a Foxconn worker.

jusjeff wrote: »
    I've repaired a bunch of screens and never had a problem with color, or saw a need to calibrate.

Did you test each display to see if needed to be calibrated?
  • Reply 8 of 39
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jusjeff View Post

I'm sure you're doing it right and Apple is doing it wrong.

• Reply 9 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Mentally my first thought was that it was hug but I think that's a drawer in the lower-lefthand side of the picture.

Hug?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

That looks like a standard lab bench. So I am guessing the instrument is 30-36" in length, width and height. I am also guessing this is a custom-made spectroradiometer, which does come in that size (but there are smaller, portable units).

• Reply 10 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I guess this machine is a little too small for Apple to be pulling a Turk on us with a Foxconn worker.

I thought it was Amazon that offered the Mechanical Turk service?

• Reply 11 of 39
    tarfungotarfungo Posts: 92member

Quote:

My guess is that Apple calibrates screen devices to ward off probable 'calibration-gate' accusations from iHaters and Android trolls.  The general public doesn't care or can't be bothered about screen calibrations as long as the screen is sharp, readable and the overall color isn't too whacked.

• Reply 12 of 39
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Steve would not allow this into AppleStore behind the Genius bar. It looks very ugly.

• Reply 13 of 39
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,485member

Quote:

There are a gazillion places that repair iPhones/iPads. Seems once someone posts up a DIY on how to do it a bunch of people go "hey, I can make money fixing iPhones". Here in Vancouver there are dozens - call one up and they come to your house and fix it in their minivan. Real professional.

• Reply 14 of 39
    There are a gazillion places that repair iPhones/iPads. Seems once someone posts up a DIY on how to do it a bunch of people go "hey, I can make money fixing iPhones". Here in Vancouver there are dozens - call one up and they come to your house and fix it in their minivan. Real professional.

Mobile dog grooming / iPhone screen repair / Medical marijuana delivery service - The iCannabis Canine Bus?
  • Reply 15 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    stelligent wrote: »
    I thought it was Amazon that offered the Mechanical Turk service?

The Mechanical Turk was a real thing at one time in the past. Amazon uses the metaphor to represent real people answering and solving problems online.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    The Mechanical Turk was a real thing at one time in the past. Amazon uses the metaphor to represent real people answering and solving problems online.

I thought he was just making a joke. I had no idea Amazon had such a service named that.

• Reply 17 of 39
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Steve would not allow this into AppleStore behind the Genius bar. It looks very ugly.
    The story says its in the "Genius Room" not Bar.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    That phrase is a tad false since they are been doing repairs on iPhones for a while now. Going back to the iPhone 4S if not the 4. And the iPhone 5 repairs began a couple of months ago.

Also, the display replacement is also about the proximity sensor, light sensor etc. so it might not be calibrating or testing the display but those. And perhaps verifying touch response.
  • Reply 19 of 39

That thing in the right hand looks like a wall mount, likely for a display. And the blue looks like a washed out version of the ESD safe bench mat my camera guys use when they are cleaning gear. The two little yellow dots a probably an ESD plug in box mounted rather than just on the bench.
  • Reply 20 of 39

My question is what about iPads? We have a quote for $150 for an iPad screen replacement but not from Apple.

You won't see anything on the iPad until there are screws to take it apart.