Apple's free ad-supported 'iRadio' on track for WWDC announcement - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Reports continue to suggest that Apple is prepared to unveil its so-called "iRadio" music streaming service next week, with the company apparently contacting major advertisers about the initiative.

iAd

The latest media outlet to claim that Apple is on track to unveil "iRadio" at its Worldwide Developers Conference is Reuters, which reported on Thursday that the new service will resemble existing streaming service Pandora in its monetization strategy. It also said that Apple "intends" to introduce the new service next week.

Thursday's report also reaffirms much of what was reported earlier this week by AdAge, including the fact that Apple will use its iAd service to sell audio advertisements. Those ads will allow the "iRadio" service to remain free to users. No mention was made of a subscription option from Apple.

Specifically, Apple has reportedly "contacted some of its bigger advertisers," but the company hasn't begun "extensively" selling advertising space as of yet.

Pandora's current free service comes with a 40-hour-per-month limit, and a $3.99 subscription is required to go beyond that cap. Spotify, another streaming service, offers 10 hours per month of ad-supported streaming, but does not allow users to listen on an iPhone or iPad without paying for a subscription.

Google also recently entered the streaming Internet radio market with its All Access service offering unlimited listening for $9.99 per month. The company has promised that Google Play Music All Access will arrive on Apple's iOS in the near future.

It's been reported that Apple will give 10 percent of its "iRadio" advertisement revenue to music rights holders ? a number more than double the 4 percent that Pandora allegedly pays.

Apple is also said to have inked a deal with Warner Music Group for the necessary rights for its Internet radio service. The flurry of "iRadio" news in recent weeks has helped to fuel speculation that Apple might have all the pieces in place in time for an announcement at Monday's WWDC keynote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

The innovation coming out of Cupertino is really amazing these days.... I mean rolling out a service that has been around for years and putting an 'i' in front of Radio..... its pure genius.  It's apparent now that in reality Steve Jobs was no Tim Cook.

• Reply 2 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jdnc123

The innovation coming out of Cupertino is really amazing these days.... I mean rolling out a service that has been around for years and putting an 'i' in front of Radio..... its pure genius.  It's apparent now that in reality Steve Jobs was no Tim Cook.

I rather think it's time you found a new community to puke on. MacRumors loves trolls; go there.

• Reply 3 of 78

Now why say something so foolish?  The service isn't even out.  You have no clue whether it will offer something dramatically better than the competition or a better experience.  Or maybe, since it would be installed by default, more users would discover it, use it, buy iTunes content as a result, or view/listen to advertisements.  Heck, there was a patent application by Apple for a system to pay users to view advertisements.  Wouldn't that be cool?  Watch 25 advertisements, get a free song on iTunes!  The bottom line is that you should really give them a chance to showcase their own products and services before passing judgment.

• Reply 4 of 78

Now why say something so foolish?  The service isn't even out.  You have no clue whether it will offer something dramatically better than the competition or a better experience.  Or maybe, since it would be installed by default, more users would discover it, use it, buy iTunes content as a result, or view/listen to advertisements.  Heck, there was a patent application by Apple for a system to pay users to view advertisements.  Wouldn't that be cool?  Watch 25 advertisements, get a free song on iTunes!  The bottom line is that you should really give them a chance to showcase their own products and services before passing judgment.

• Reply 5 of 78
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I rather think it's time you found a new community to puke on. MacRumors loves trolls; go there.

So you think this is innovation then I assume?  

One can define forum trolls many ways.  Someone with 25k posts in 3 yrs on a forum, goes beyond troll to someone who simply has no life.  200 posts a day on average?  Do yourself a favor and find a hobby.

• Reply 6 of 78
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

I actually agree with jdnc123.

This is (as I mentioned in another post), cute-sy, nice-to-have (not must-have) stuff for Apple. This sort of stuff doesn't hurt, but doesn't signal a whole heck of a lot of innovation either. Same with iCloud. And PassBook. And iWork that is badly due for an update. And iPhoto that is basically creaking under its own weight, and can't even handle the 20K photos that I have well.....

• Reply 7 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

So you think this is innovation then I assume? 

All I have to say is that your myopia is laughably pathetic and that your "beliefs" will receive the scorn and derision they deserve, given that you couldn't care less about anything you're typing.

• Reply 8 of 78
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Well, of course I'll try it out. But I was hoping for a Spotify killer... Well actually, Spotify is pretty Apple-like and I enjoy it, so I guess I break even there. And I won't even consider the Mountain View Ad Company version, because they will just spy on me and sell my info, not even to the highest bidder, but pretty much anybody with cash.

No, Larry Page. I will not 'share' my medical records with you.

I haven't used Pandora in a year or so. Rarely liked the direction the tunes would go. Hopefully whatever Apple has planned will have a unique feature to temp me to stick with a random-ish radio service.

• Reply 9 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

This is (as I mentioned in another post), cute-sy, nice-to-have (not must-have) stuff for Apple. This sort of stuff doesn't hurt, but doesn't signal a whole heck of a lot of innovation either. Same with iCloud. And PassBook. And iWork that is badly due for an update. And iPhoto that is basically creaking under its own weight, and can't even handle the 20K photos that I have well.....

1) He's suggesting Apple is failing because there is a rumour that they'll come out with a service that has existed in some form elsewhere for years. His implication is that Apple has no ideas.

2) He's suggesting that Tim Cook is a failure because there is a rumour that they'll come with a service that has existed in some form elsewhere for years. His implication is that Apple is worthless without Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member

I've never used Pandora as it's not available in the UK, but is what's being rumoured another service where you listed to "Radio" for free like Last FM. i.e. Your get picked songs along a genre that you can then skip. Or is it more like Xbox Music where you listen to the songs you choose for free? Unless it's the later I'd be severally disappointed.

Have to agree with jdnc123 though. I can't foresee how there can be much innovation here. Letting you play whatever you want, or picking songs based on an artist you like has all been done before. Even Apple already has a Smart DJ thing so other than being the last people to make music free, I'm not sure what's left.

You would also think as they are basically last it would be a small things that's added alongside much bigger things. Maybe that's what is going to happen and that why its been leaked first.

• Reply 11 of 78
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I have a feeling this will turn out to be two different things. And unrelated ones. But folks are sticking them together due to a lack of true facts.

First is something to do with music and streaming. Might be radio, might be Lala.

Second is something to do with ads. It's possible that apple might have simply created the ability to have audio ads. Maybe they will do web ones also. My cousin was just talking the other day about how if Apple has their own AdSense type service for the web she'd do it on her blog. She'd be happy with being able to set up rules and just have it serve up a random ad out of the iTunes stores.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member

Quote:

I guess you can't handle the truth?

• Reply 13 of 78
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) He's suggesting Apple is failing because there is a rumour that they'll come out with a service that has existed in some form elsewhere for years. His implication is that Apple has no ideas.

2) He's suggesting that Tim Cook is a failure because there is a rumour that they'll come with a service that has existed in some form elsewhere for years. His implication is that Apple is worthless without Steve Jobs.

No, I interpret what he's saying as there being very little that we are seeing from Apple that could be called 'innovative' in the Applesque sense. All I've heard so far are a lot of 'incredibles' thrown around.

I am willing to wait until September until I throw in the towel, but so far, I am unimpressed (hardware updates and the iPad Mini notwithstanding). I am fervently hoping that I am proved totally wrong.

Btw, to say that Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs is not incorrect in the least. Moreover, he's the CEO. At the end of the day, the buck stops with him.

(Just to clarify matters, I am no fan of jdnc123. I am also not a big fan of TS's knee-jerk responses).

• Reply 14 of 78
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

And you can get a dose of the same thing that was said to him. We don't KNOW what is going on, so how about saving the hate until we do.

Also if this is real it is not likely the same team as iWork, iLife etc. maybe not even the same one as iCloud (Passbook is fine it just needs more developers to adopt it and Apple doesn't really affect that so they can't fix it)
  • Reply 15 of 78
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

3) He's suggesting that Steve Jobs was about innovation and product. If you build it they will come. Tim Cook is about revenue and profit and looks to exploit already existing technologies to improve Apple's income statement.

4) He's suggesting that Steve Jobs ran the company. Tim Cook is a puppet of the shareholders.

• Reply 16 of 78
    iobserveiobserve Posts: 96member
    in summation:

troll troll troll innovation waaaa everything apple does is bad troll troll troll innovation troll troll
  • Reply 17 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    timgriff84 wrote: »
    I can't foresee how there can be much innovation here. Letting you play whatever you want, or picking songs based on an artist you like has all been done before. Even Apple already has a Smart DJ thing so other than being the last people to make music free, I'm not sure what's left.

There is that old adage that great minds think alike, but it's bullocks. It's the great minds that thinks in ways no one else has ever thought before; and it's the greatest minds that can get others to change the way they see the world and get them to think of a brand new concept as the only concept that makes sense immediately going forward.

It's quite possible that Apple will only play catch up with the service, it's also possible that they will do something unique, but don't make the mistake of pigeonholing something that has yet to be announced simply because all you're limited to only making the most rudimentary comparison. It's not unlike people pooh-poohing the iPhone was pathetic since Windows, Palm, etc. all had smartphones and mobile OSes for years.

“PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.” ~ Ed Colligan, Palm CEO, circa 2006
  • Reply 18 of 78
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 151member

I'm being completely serious with this comment so please don't bash me or give a sarcastic reply like I see on here all the time - can somebody please explain to me the difference between iRadio and Spotify/Pandora? 

• Reply 19 of 78
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Apple isn't always the first mover into a particular space. Look at music players. Yes there were tons of other music players and they were niche and complicated to use. For instance, how do you get music on to it? What Apple does (and arguably does very well) is innovate on a particular technology for widespread consumer adoption.  Yes there is Pandora and Spotify and Google and Rhaposody and 800,000 other streaming audio services.  So the question is... what can Apple do to differentiate in a way that makes your grandparents want to use it.  That's what they excel at.  In the end.. that IS the very essence of innovation.  Apple didn't invent the computer or the media player or the cell phone or the tablet computer... but they innovate the living crap out of is and make it ready for mass market appeal.

• Reply 20 of 78
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

No, because iRadio hasn't even been announced yet. How could anyone tell you the difference?