Apple's free ad-supported 'iRadio' on track for WWDC announcement - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    No one knows yet. The service isn't even officially acknowledged by Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Oh, and I should iterate... "CAN" Apple out-innovate in this space.  They are not particularly strong in the services department. Perhaps they are starting with their "home base"... music... and then move on from there.  Again, we won't know until June 10th or so.

• Reply 23 of 78
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Free Is great. Can't wait for it. Hope Apple has at least another thing to surprise us, like bigger free iCloud storage.
  • Reply 24 of 78
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ruel24 wrote: »

3) He's suggesting that Steve Jobs was about innovation and product. If you build it they will come. Tim Cook is about revenue and profit and looks to exploit already existing technologies to improve Apple's income statement.

4) He's suggesting that Steve Jobs ran the company. Tim Cook is a puppet of the shareholders.

Yup. I forgot that Jobs innovated every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
  • Reply 25 of 78
    mac-daddy wrote: »
    I'm being completely serious with this comment so please don't bash me or give a sarcastic reply like I see on here all the time - can somebody please explain to me the difference between iRadio and Spotify/Pandora? 

iRadio isn't a thing yet while the others are.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And you can get a dose of the same thing that was said to him. We don't KNOW what is going on, so how about saving the hate until we do.

Of course, we don't.

Last I checked, this is a rumor site, and we respond to rumors on this site.

• Reply 27 of 78
    If its a valued added service, i.e. users would want it and find it beneficial to the ecosystem, why does it matter if its "innovative" or not. That's definitely not the standard I use on whether I buy a product or use a service.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I actually agree with jdnc123.

This is (as I mentioned in another post), cute-sy, nice-to-have (not must-have) stuff for Apple. This sort of stuff doesn't hurt, but doesn't signal a whole heck of a lot of innovation either. Same with iCloud. And PassBook. And iWork that is badly due for an update. And iPhoto that is basically creaking under its own weight, and can't even handle the 20K photos that I have well.....

Calling a streaming service 'cute-sy' and 'nice to have' says more about you than this yet to be announced service. I suspect that for a lot of people this may become 'the' way to listen to music. Many kids these days spend more time listening to music by going to YouTube than to iTunes.

And just because a service already exists it doesn't mean Apple shouldn't do it, or won't do it better. 

And please, lets not spend time in these forums judging Apple by the level of innovation involved in every single piece of software, hardware and service. Its childish and you might as well head over to cnet and bash it out with the kids over there. Some innovative features are big and splashy, others are hard to define details. I'd argue that Apple is innovative, not because of its products or services, but because of its approach to design (in the broadest sense). To diss Apple for lack of innovation in a service that has not yet been announced, we don't know the details of, and because other services that may or may not do the same thing already exist, is ridiculous.

• Reply 29 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Ah, another fatuous/snarky/dismissive comment.

Why do you bother commenting on a question related to a set of comments that are based on a rumor?

Heck, why bother to visit -- let alone be a member -- of this site?

• Reply 30 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

I'm being completely serious with this comment so please don't bash me or give a sarcastic reply like I see on here all the time - can somebody please explain to me the difference between iRadio and Spotify/Pandora? 

Good question. Based on the rumors so far, nothing.

• Reply 31 of 78
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

So you think this is innovation then I assume?  

One can define forum trolls many ways.  Someone with 25k posts in 3 yrs on a forum, goes beyond troll to someone who simply has no life.  200 posts a day on average?  Do yourself a favor and find a hobby.

The article nor Tallest ever said it was innovation.  You're the one that brought that word to the table.  Additionally- the product isn't even announced, and might not even exist!  Give it a freakin' chance before judging- unbelievable.  You're the equal to the guys in the XBox One thread that crapped on that product and it hasn't even been released yet.  What's the alternative?  They don't release anything?  You're trolling (and this is coming from someone who also believes Tallest Skil is a huge troll too in most cases).

Side note: 200 posts a day is pretty sad for an unpaid position.  Think if that time was spent doing something useful...

• Reply 32 of 78
    Ah, another fatuous/snarky/dismissive comment.

Why do you bother commenting on a question related to a set of comments that are based on a rumor?

Heck, why bother to visit -- let alone be a member -- of this site?

But it's true. We don't know what iRadio is so we wouldn't know how it compares to the others. For all we know Apple could have bought them and rebranded.
  • Reply 33 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

And just because a service already exists it doesn't mean Apple shouldn't do it, or won't do it better. 

Who said that? Where?

• Reply 34 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

I guess you can't handle the truth?

"All lies and no truth make trolls a bunch of idiots…"

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

3) He's suggesting that Steve Jobs was about innovation and product. If you build it they will come. Tim Cook is about revenue and profit and looks to exploit already existing technologies to improve Apple's income statement.

4) He's suggesting that Steve Jobs ran the company. Tim Cook is a puppet of the shareholders.

Run along now.

I knew there was a reason I'd bolded your username…

• Reply 35 of 78

Quote:

But it's true. 

You responded.

(See what I did there?)

• Reply 36 of 78

Quote:

A very good answer. I also think we can safely presume that iRadio (let's call it that until we know) will be an Apple product and will leverage the IOS / iTunes user base in a way the other services do not.

Other than that we should hold back on predicting its awesomeness as that will inevitably lead to disappointment. Personally I hope it will allow of-line listening of some kind. Repetitive streaming of the same tracks is wasteful and expensive.

• Reply 37 of 78
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I actually agree with jdnc123.

This is (as I mentioned in another post), cute-sy, nice-to-have (not must-have) stuff for Apple. This sort of stuff doesn't hurt, but doesn't signal a whole heck of a lot of innovation either. (snip)

The idea of streaming radio is clearly not an innovation, but the actual service hasn't been announced, so without any confirmed details or an actual announcement, it's not worth praising or trashing. Maybe there's something interesting they are going to add to the idea. It could also just be expanding the brand to cover another service.

It's a nice-to-have feature, but I don't think it's going to be the only update to the iTunes services as might be implied by the detractors.

It strikes me as a few minutes out of a 90 minute presentation on new iOS and new iDevices. If people are going to troll about "no innovation" on a rumor that's probably 5% of a slew of updates, then there's a lack of a big picture here.
  • Reply 38 of 78

Quote:

Who said that? Where?

jdnc123 implied it, and you agreed with him.

• Reply 39 of 78
    macartmacart Posts: 78member
    Wow "Innovation" has become the idiots key word to cry about regarding Apple!

Like Apple ever stopped doing this! Apple is quietly working on things, you haven't heard about it because you don't need to know about it yet!

Maps was released with some work still to do and the press had a feeding frenzy! Google just released their new mapping only to show their now 2 years behind Apple! But nobody in the press made Eric SchmitHead eat his words over it!

"Oh Boo Hoo I saw a Samscum commercial where a guy eating ribs answered his phone by swiping over it, Apple isn't innovating!" First who wants to talk to the A##hole who answers his phone while eating ribs! And secondly it's stupid!

"I saw a Samscum commercial where 2 guys touched phones to share a playlist! Apple isn't innovating! Again STUPID! I've never had the desire to share a playlist with another man! And the first time a guy friend of mine says he's created a playlist for me, friendship is over!

Oh in case you forgot Apple is the reason that Samscum phone even exists in its form! That was innovation enough TOOL! How quickly we forget what life was like before the iPhone! Phones SUCKED before the iPhone! Tablets SUCKED before what? The iPad! Everyone is rushing to copy Apple in what they do and bash them for paving the way! The amazing thing is no one can beat Apple at what they do! Even if they think they have it all figured out as to what Apple is doing next, Watch, TV, etc. They rush in and throw all their money at it, but it fails in comparison to what Apple will do with it! Because their not in a rush, they sit with it and think about it. That's how you innovate! That's how you "Think Different!"

So continue believing in blog posts from some guy from his garage in Utah or being dazzled by commercials with no proof of functionality! Apple has learned the hard way to keep their secrets secret and leak what they need feedback on. Oh and Tim Cook isn't the sole employee at Apple you fool! Steve Jobs didnt personally build the iPhone, iPad, etc. Apple has many people who's names you will never know! Apple knows what their doing, nobody else does! Don't worry about it, just wait!

Soon enough it will be cool in the press to Love Apple again and then you can walk around and claim how you've supported Apple from the beginning!
  • Reply 40 of 78
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creid1987 View Post

If its a valued added service, i.e. users would want it and find it beneficial to the ecosystem, why does it matter if its "innovative" or not. That's definitely not the standard I use on whether I buy a product or use a service.

This.  It doesn't need to be "innovative"- just "value added".   Innovation is great- but I don't need it all the time, every time.  That would be, you know, impossible.

Quote:

Good question. Based on the rumors so far, nothing.

Anant- Pandora and Spotify are completely different animals.  Pandora is a simple music streamer, Spotify is a social media streamer.  Even with the rumors- we have no idea if it is like Pandora, if it is like Spotify, if it is a hybrid between the two, or if it is something entirely different.  I've seen the same rumors- outside of signing deals and meeting with companies- we know absolutely nothing.  To say there is no difference is ignoring everything we know (which is nothing).