Apple's in-store iPhone screen repair machine brings 'China to the Genius Room'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    mistergsf wrote: »
    The story says its in the "Genius Room" not Bar.

ESD safe protocols and likely clean room also (to at least a degree). No way could they do that at the bar
  • Reply 22 of 39
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Steve would not allow this into AppleStore behind the Genius bar. It looks very ugly.

Please stop saying what "Steve" would or would not do. 

• Reply 23 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The Mechanical Turk was a real thing at one time in the past. Amazon uses the metaphor to represent real people answering and solving problems online.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I thought he was just making a joke. I had no idea Amazon had such a service named that.

I was kind of joking, by using the real Amazon service as a prop. Clearly, it was a fail.

• Reply 24 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

ESD safe protocols and likely clean room also (to at least a degree). No way could they do that at the bar

Yes, they can do it at the bar.  But it would be silly to bring it out. There is no clean room required, and it would be impractical if not ridiculous to have a clean room in the back of a store. 

• Reply 25 of 39
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    stelligent wrote: »
    I was kind of joking, by using the real Amazon service as a prop. Clearly, it was a fail.

Oh, i got that, I just didn't know there was a Mechanical Turk service associated with Amazon at all. I had assumed you just made that up. Like you pulled that as opposed to saying Google Mechanical Turk.
  • Reply 26 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by jusjeff View Post

Display calibration device?

I've repaired a bunch of screens and never had a problem with color, or saw a need to calibrate.

Good for you. Apple seems to have much higher standards of quality than you do.

• Reply 27 of 39
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    I find it interesting that there are no comments about Apple's decision to move repairs into the stores, but all the discussion is about how big the machine is.
  • Reply 28 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

I find it interesting that there are no comments about Apple's decision to move repairs into the stores, but all the discussion is about how big the machine is.

Why is that interesting? The crowd herein doesn't include many techies. But there is nothing wrong or interesting about that.

• Reply 29 of 39
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I guess this machine is a little too small for Apple to be pulling a Turk on us with a Foxconn worker.

Did you test each display to see if needed to be calibrated?

• Reply 30 of 39
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Polypropylene tubing behind it? What do you suppose that's about?

• Reply 31 of 39
    jusjeffjusjeff Posts: 5member
    Calibrate?
    The icons looked normal so I went with it. ;-)
    No complaints.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    jusjeff wrote: »
    Calibrate?
    The icons looked normal so I went with it. ;-)
    No complaints.

Most people also never bother with color accurate TV or computer displays. Whether you or your customers care about it or jot is not, Apple does. I think that's a good thing for consumers.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    The customer gets their iPhone back faster and Apple saves money on shipping. Win win!
  • Reply 34 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Steve would not allow this into AppleStore behind the Genius bar. It looks very ugly.

totally correct. Which is why it is where it belongs, in the repair room. 

• Reply 35 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Yes, they can do it at the bar.  But it would be silly to bring it out. There is no clean room required, and it would be impractical if not ridiculous to have a clean room in the back of a store. 

I highly doubt that the public area is ESD safe, that this thing is something that oculd be moved back and forth without damage. or they would want the people handling the queue to fall behind that obscene '10 minutes appointment' time doing this repair in front of everyone when they can take it to a safe and properly prepared room in the back where a repair person handles it without the stress of someone gawking at them. 

Which is exactly how it is handled.

• Reply 36 of 39
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    charlituna wrote: »
    I highly doubt that the public area is ESD safe, that this thing is something that oculd be moved back and forth without damage. or they would want the people handling the queue to fall behind that obscene '10 minutes appointment' time doing this repair in front of everyone when they can take it to a safe and properly prepared room in the back where a repair person handles it without the stress of someone gawking at them. 

Which is exactly how it is handled.

Doesn't sound like you understand what "ESD safe" is about
  • Reply 37 of 39
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    tarfungo wrote: »

My guess is that Apple calibrates screen devices to ward off probable 'calibration-gate' accusations from iHaters and Android trolls.  The general public doesn't care or can't be bothered about screen calibrations as long as the screen is sharp, readable and the overall color isn't too whacked.
    Apple has the best calibration in the industry for their tablets and phones. On the other hand Samsung has some of the worst in the industry their screens skew towards green
  • Reply 38 of 39
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Mentally my first thought was that it was huge but I think that's a drawer in the lower-lefthand side of the picture.

The wires on the right hand side also give a good perspective.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The wires on the right hand side also give a good perspective.

So that's really a Start button, not a round console window for a 6 story sized machine?