Apple's free ad-supported 'iRadio' on track for WWDC announcement - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    yvvvyvvv Posts: 18member
    The problem with post like the one jdnc123 made is that they don't consider Apple as a company that offers more than one product. Pandora, Spotify, Rdio's only product is streaming music.

Apple innovates in many fields and in some others, offer a product similar to the one that other companies already offer and integrate it in their ecosystem. Their innovation for such product is how it integrates with their ecosystem.

Plus, Apple will probably offer a broader distribution than what competitors already offer. Spotify and Pandora aren't available in my country (Canada), but I bet iRadio will be launched at the same in the US, Canada and many other countries. Take this for innovation.
  • Reply 42 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by appleistheway View Post

Wouldn't that be cool?  Watch 25 advertisements, get a free song on iTunes! 

There isn't a place on the planet that is cool. It's also very gimmicky and un-Apple.

• Reply 43 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    paxman wrote: »
    I also think we can safely presume that iRadio (let's call it that until we know)...

Good point. As previously discussed in another thread iRadio is an old and still service going back nearly 2 full decades. It might be called iRadio colloquially — like calling the iPod Touch iTouch — but it may have a completely different name. If we don't even know what it will be called how can we say what it will offer the user. At the very least we should consider that Apple is getting into the streaming radio business after this many years, despite coming with integrated 3rd-party support in iTunes 1.0, because they have some unique to offer.

I personally think iTunes Radio is a better overall name due to the brand recognition and lack of legal impedance.
  • Reply 44 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah, another fatuous/snarky/dismissive comment.

Why do you bother commenting on a question related to a set of comments that are based on a rumor?

Heck, why bother to visit -- let alone be a member -- of this site?

It's not being snarky or dismissive. It's admitting the reality of the situation which is that NO ONE knows anything definitive at all about this supposed "iRadio". Complaining that Apple isn't being innovative, etc. when we don't even know for certain they are doing a streaming radio service is incredibly stupid.

• Reply 45 of 78
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

The good thing here, is that a week later no one will actually give a crap about 'iRadio" anymore and we can all get back to our lives.  

I can't think of a recent development in Apple's fortunes or products that has been given as much web space as this stupid 'iRadio" has and I for one am super tired or hearing about it.  

- It's a stupid streaming music service (i.e. - it's a music service for folks that don't really care about music).  

- It's not a "radio" or "internet radio" (it's not even close), it's an ad service (with ads ironically)

- It will actually act mostly to destroy "internet radio" as it now exists.  

At the very least, (even if you don't find it controversial), it's really ... really ... boring.  

• Reply 46 of 78
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Yup. I forgot that Jobs innovated every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

that's right...   As I remember....

Wozniak was really just the beard (he needed someone to get him into the homebrew computer club) and steve was the one who invented the Apple I, while working full time at Atari, and supporting his girlfriend and daughter Lisa...

...Steve quit Apple to rescue Pixar, teaching them how to digitally encode movies, and built their SAN out of discarded magneto Optical disks from his farm of diskless NextCubes (where he had gone to china and mined the Magnesium necessary to forge the shells),   And it was Steve who convinced 

...all in one computers didn't exist before the  Steve invented the iMac,

...mp3 music players didn't exist before the iPod, which Steve hand etched the lithography for the mother board, and gave up Apple's supply of Lithium (which threatened his dominion, because only those who were supplied 'Lithium Licks' were allowed to work within the RDF Steve emanates)

and the mach microkernel and BSD interface underpinning OS X as a personal computer operating system was hand coded (actually foot coded, he was typing under the table on a machine he hand soldered the night before) by Steve during a board meeting.   Avi Tevanian was just a CMU post doc who 'never shipped squat' before Steve tutored him on Object Oriented Operating Systems.

....and touchscreen phones were karmic vision of the future  from the Universal Mother to Steve while on a wheatgrass and lentil juice IV drip,

...and it was actually Steve who handed a slate computer to Bill Gates before he went on stage, saying... 'Hey... use this, someday, this will be really hot...  just please, please, please don't use that stylus from your PDA"

Yeah,   that's how I remember it.

• Reply 47 of 78
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    "No mention was made of a subscription option from Apple"

That worries me a bit. Also isn't this going to be a rather limited service pertaining to choice of music if Sony isn't on board? Anyway I hope the service does well, if so then Sony will most likely come along for the ride at a later date, even though I hope it isn't too much later!
  • Reply 48 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

I'm being completely serious with this comment so please don't bash me or give a sarcastic reply like I see on here all the time - can somebody please explain to me the difference between iRadio and Spotify/Pandora? 

iRadio hasn't even been announced by Apple so nobody knows what the differences will be. Everyone throwing barbs back and forth are basing it all on rumour and speculation.

• Reply 49 of 78
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

I made a dumb post.  Please delete.  :)

• Reply 50 of 78

Ya.  I know.  Once Apple figures something out, it becomes obvious, and the word innovation doesn't apply.

/s

• Reply 51 of 78
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

It's not being snarky or dismissive. It's admitting the reality of the situation which is that NO ONE knows anything definitive at all about this supposed "iRadio". Complaining that Apple isn't being innovative, etc. when we don't even know for certain they are doing a streaming radio service is incredibly stupid.

But we all know they have't done jack for going on a year because, well they haven't done anything for nearly a year.  Nothing.  70,000+ employees, billions in cash and not one single unique idea in a long time as earnings shrink.  If iRadio or a 5S is the best they have, look out below. 

• Reply 52 of 78
    leesmithleesmith Posts: 121member
    This only makes sense if it is part of an initiative for Apple to take over the car dashboard (infotainment/navigation).
  • Reply 53 of 78
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    jdnc123 wrote: »
    But we all know they have't done jack for going on a year because, well they haven't done anything for nearly a year.  Nothing.  70,000+ employees, billions in cash and not one single unique idea in a long time as earnings shrink.  If iRadio or a 5S is the best they have, look out below. 

Apple has annual cycles, and we're almost at the beginning of the next one with a likely bunch of new announcements next week, given Apple's pattern of announcing new things at every WWDC.

I don't know how hard it is for you to notice the year elapsing but not notice the cycle.
  • Reply 54 of 78
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jdnc123 wrote: »
    Ugh. So it takes just one day to develop, design, test, iterate, and announce products? This is why you're a troll.
  • Reply 55 of 78
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Good point. As previously discussed in another thread iRadio is an old and still service going back nearly 2 full decades. It might be called iRadio colloquially — like calling the iPod Touch iTouch — but it may have a completely different name. If we don't even know what it will be called how can we say what it will offer the user. At the very least we should consider that Apple is getting into the streaming radio business after this many years, despite coming with integrated 3rd-party support in iTunes 1.0, because they have some unique to offer.

I personally think iTunes Radio is a better overall name due to the brand recognition and lack of legal impedance.

I wouldn't be surprised if the term will be... iTunes. If not officially then trough popular usage. Like the iTouch as you mention. Once you are paid up, or signed on, I suspect people will say 'I heard it on 'iTunes'. It's where you listen, and if you want, also buy your music. Apple may want to differentiate but I am not sure if people care for that. They just want to listen, right? 

I hope Apple also offers videos for free under the same package. 

• Reply 56 of 78
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Apple has an annual cycle. I don't know how hard it is for you to notice the year elapsing but not notice the cycle.

The guy is saying Apple hasn't done anything for a year despite a huge number of radical changes that other vendors are only now starting to play catch up with. Why isn't this rabble rouser's account being deleted?
  • Reply 57 of 78
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

But we all know they have't done jack for going on a year ... 

Who let this dimwit in here? Can someone take him by the hand and lead him over to cnet? 

• Reply 58 of 78
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    mac-daddy wrote: »
    I'm being completely serious with this comment so please don't bash me or give a sarcastic reply like I see on here all the time - can somebody please explain to me the difference between iRadio and Spotify/Pandora? 
    Good question. Based on the rumors so far, nothing.

That is not entirely true. Rumors say apple is getting a worse deal on the licensing for the music and having to give up 10% instead of 4% on the ad revenue. I'm guessing they are not paying more to deliver the same features as other services. That is if any of the rumors are even true.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    That is not entirely true. Rumors say apple is getting a worse deal on the licensing for the music and having to give up 10% instead of 4% on the ad revenue. I'm guessing they are not paying more to deliver the same features as other services. That is if any of the rumors are even true.

If that difference in payout is accurate I don't think that's a bad deal for Apple (and certainly a great deal for the content owners) since Apple has shown so far that it doesn't use ads to pay their on bills. If iMessage is anything to go by this could be very devastating to competing services even if Apple doesn't' offer anything unique, like giving iTS credit* for those that use iRadio.

* Wouldn't giving such a credit be similar to what Amazon has done with the eBook market if Apple still had to pay the content owner for the free purchased media the user receives? I could see that as giving Apple an unfair advantage.
  • Reply 60 of 78
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    I wonder if a portion of the ad revenue will go to the carriers to subsidize the bandwidth usage. Then some or all of the bytes not count against the user's data plan.