Apple's free ad-supported 'iRadio' on track for WWDC announcement - report

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    christophb wrote: »
    I wonder if a portion of the ad revenue will go to the carriers to subsidize the bandwidth usage. Then some or all of the bytes not count against the user's data plan.

That would be awesome but I doubt that will transpire, at least not right away. My reasoning is that the carriers tend to be very loose with secrets compared to others so if there was any talk about this which, would have to include the data costs to the carriers and the cost to allow iTunes Radio not to get counted thereby branching into the technical teams at the carriers, we'd have heard something about it by now. I hope I"m wrong because I love your idea as it's the primary reason I don't use Pandora, Spotify, or my favorite, XM Radio, on my iPhone.
  • Reply 62 of 78
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That would be awesome but I doubt that will transpire, at least not right away. My reasoning is that the carriers tend to be very loose with secrets compared to others so if there was any talk about this which, would have to include the data costs to the carriers and the cost to allow iTunes Radio not to get counted thereby branching into the technical teams at the carriers, we'd have heard something about it by now. I hope I"m wrong because I love your idea as it's the primary reason I don't use Pandora, Spotify, or my favorite, XM Radio, on my iPhone.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/28/att_bandwidth_plan/

AT&T's CTO spoke about this type of thing in 2012. I thought I'd read the CEO did as well in 2011. I also recall many here mocking the concept. If iRadio was hosted on the carriers' backbones, transit fees and congestion can be avoided, latency reduced and quality maintained. Nothing says Apple won't colocate on provider prems and/or drag multiple Tier1 service providers back to their data centers.

Edit - Typo fix.

Edit - allow me to add that none of this is innovative so Apple couldn't be praised. This is how much of what we watch and listen to on public airwaves and basic cable is funded.
  • Reply 63 of 78
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I knew there was a reason I'd bolded your username…

I made your watch list, huh? Hey, I call it how I see it. I use Apple products, but they weren't divinely sent from heaven to Steve Jobs in a dream and perfected for our very consumption. Apple is like any other company that happens to make some great products. I've been an Apple user since 1982, so don't tell me about Apple. I used Apple II's when they were the computer to have and when they weren't any longer. I used Macs when Apple nearly went extinct. I knew Appleworks like the back of my hand. So don't act like you're expert on Apple's business.

• Reply 64 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

I've been an Apple user since 1982…

lol.

• Reply 65 of 78
    tarfungotarfungo Posts: 92member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Many kids these days spend more time listening to music by going to YouTube than to iTunes.

And... a lot of kids, and probably a fair amount of their parents, get their music mp3's from YouTube too instead of iTunes.

• Reply 66 of 78
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No, I interpret what he's saying as there being very little that we are seeing from Apple that could be called 'innovative' in the Applesque sense. All I've heard so far are a lot of 'incredibles' thrown around.

I am willing to wait until September until I throw in the towel, but so far, I am unimpressed (hardware updates and the iPad Mini notwithstanding). I am fervently hoping that I am proved totally wrong.

Btw, to say that Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs is not incorrect in the least. Moreover, he's the CEO. At the end of the day, the buck stops with him.

(Just to clarify matters, I am no fan of jdnc123. I am also not a big fan of TS's knee-jerk responses).

I agreed with your comments that's how I see it has well and I am not fan of Jdnc123, but TS like a unstable bomb, when it come to Apple.

Come guys iRadio, only if Apple provide some unique option that never been done, then it would innovative. This one idea that I am not going to buy.

• Reply 67 of 78
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    The guy is saying Apple hasn't done anything for a year despite a huge number of radical changes that other vendors are only now starting to play catch up with. Why isn't this rabble rouser's account being deleted?

We here know different but in reality he saying what the general public believes.
  • Reply 68 of 78
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarfungo View Post

And... a lot of kids, and probably a fair amount of their parents, get their music mp3's from YouTube too instead of iTunes.

By YouTube you mean BitTorrent?

• Reply 69 of 78
    If iMessage is anything to go by this could be very devastating to competing services even if Apple doesn't' offer anything unique, like giving iTS credit* for those that use iRadio.

* Wouldn't giving such a credit be similar to what Amazon has done with the eBook market if Apple still had to pay the content owner for the free purchased media the user receives? I could see that as giving Apple an unfair advantage.

A great idea but with a big loophole. People could just leave the service running for hours on end on a iDevice that stays home. There would need to be a dead man switch to prevent that.
  • Reply 70 of 78
    andysol wrote: »
    By YouTube you mean BitTorrent?

There's software that'll allow you to download just the audio part.
  • Reply 71 of 78
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvvv View Post

The problem with post like the one jdnc123 made is that they don't consider Apple as a company that offers more than one product. Pandora, Spotify, Rdio's only product is streaming music.

Apple innovates in many fields and in some others, offer a product similar to the one that other companies already offer and integrate it in their ecosystem. Their innovation for such product is how it integrates with their ecosystem.

Plus, Apple will probably offer a broader distribution than what competitors already offer. Spotify and Pandora aren't available in my country (Canada), but I bet iRadio will be launched at the same in the US, Canada and many other countries. Take this for innovation.

True, until Apple offers a truly outstanding washer/dryer combination experience they'll be completely lacking on the "innovation" metric! And that washer/dryer just better have a mini-USB port and replaceable batteries! Or. Else.

For myself, at the moment, this feature seems periferal, but so what? It's one of an entire series of features, many I rely on and many others I couldn't care less about.

• Reply 72 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    We here know different but in reality he saying what the general public believes.

His comment didn't read as commentary on what the general public thinks.
  • Reply 73 of 78
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Maybe this has been asked and answered, if so I apologize ....

On my Apple TV it has music, different channels etc. I can play all day long. (I understand this is not pandora / spotify etc)

I presume the record companies get paid?

Is there a reason this service does not happen on iphone now (seams straightforward) or does it and I am just completely dense. Which if so, please educate me.

• Reply 74 of 78
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    Maybe this has been asked and answered, if so I apologize .... On my Apple TV it has music, different channels etc. I can play all day long. (I understand this is not pandora / spotify etc) I presume the record companies get paid? Is there a reason this service does not happen on iphone now (seams straightforward) or does it and I am just completely dense. Which if so, please educate me.

Primary difference is that the channels on the AppleTV, as with the iTunes Mac/PC application point to the radio station which has a point of presence on The Net. The Pandora, Spotify and presumably the iRadio would have the content sourced from the service provider.
  • Reply 75 of 78
    leesmithleesmith Posts: 121member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I wonder if a portion of the ad revenue will go to the carriers to subsidize the bandwidth usage. Then some or all of the bytes not count against the user's data plan.

Now that actually makes sense.

• Reply 76 of 78
    leesmith wrote: »
    Now that actually makes sense.

First "iRadio" then iTelevision. Seems the logical step. Who else could dare pull it off?
  • Reply 77 of 78
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

(Just to clarify matters, I am no fan of jdnc123. I am also not a big fan of TS's knee-jerk responses).

Hear, hear. TS is the least thoughtful moderator of any site I use on a regular basis.

On topic: there were MP3s before iTunes, MP3 players before iPod, smartphones before iPhone, tablets before iPad. Not being first to market hasn't hurt Apple so far.

That said, I'll have to be persuaded by awfully interesting features to listen to an ad-supported service when there are ad-free alternatives available at modest cost. And I hope that Apple will have a subscription option.

• Reply 78 of 78
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    I don't normally spend much time listening to music on mobile tho I do use Pandora sometimes and gave Spotify a spin a couple months back.

Last night on a whim I decided to give Google All Access a try. It's free for 30 days anyway. I was impressed. It's not really a radio and its not really streaming music. It's kind of a mix but a very well done one in my opinion. You can search a song, an artist or even a type of music. Turn a song choice into a radio station or listen to just that artist or album instead. View upcoming songs on that station, swipe away songs you don't want to hear, and skip forward or back. For $8 a month, especially since I can take songs and add them directly to my own personal library for no extra charge, I think I'm going to keep it around for a bit. Its done much better than I expected.