Report of Apple throttling iPhone, iPad speeds on AT&T, Verizon, Sprint mistaken

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Just a day after a developer wrote a blog entry maintaining that Apple was intentionally limiting cellular download speeds for iPhone and iPad users on AT&T, Verizon and Sprint, the claims have been withdrawn and his mistake in understanding how carrier bundle files has been explained.

iPhone 5

Advertised theoretical data speeds for iPhone 5. | Source: Apple

Brian Klug, writing for AnandTech, detailed the purpose of the "carrier bundle" files Apple uses to configure its devices for various mobile providers.

"Apple doesn't limit cellular data throughput on its devices," Klug stated, noting that "there's both no incentive for them to do so, and any traffic management is better off done in the packet core of the respective network operator rather than on devices."

Apple itself explains in a support document that iOS carrier settings "include updates to Access Point Names (APNs), MMS settings, features such as tethering, and default apps," but as Klug detailed, these files are not used to "throttle" data speeds.

Instead, Klug noted that, where there are two settings inside the files with the word "throttle" in them, these "refer purely to a retry interval throttle to prevent the phone from continually trying to reattach to an LTE network in the case of some error."

Klug added, "there's no reason for Apple to want to arbitrarily limit their devices, and the reality is that they don't, at all, on any version of iPad or iPhone or in any of the carrier bundles they've distributed for network operators.

"If anything, Apple has long been one of the few handset vendors who initially understood the importance of limiting annoying operator customizations. The Carrier Bundles are quite literally the only place in the entire OS they have indirect access (through Apple) to toggles they can play with."

The original report of Apple's assumed "throttling" of carrier download speeds was based on the idea that certain settings "which appear to hamstring the handset's cellular data capabilities," but this is not the case.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Wow. I guess random people making uneducated claims get just as much attention as anyone else these days.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Too priceless for words. The rush to publish negative news about Apple bites so-called "journalists" in the buttocks once again.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    omg ... i heard tim cook is over there behind that dumpster *right now* kicking a dog and calling a baby *names*! hurry.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    As someone pointed out in other threads: There is no need to limit transfer rate on per device levels as the network towers could have done it more easily and more reliably.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    pooch wrote: »
    omg ... i heard tim cook is over there behind that dumpster *right now* kicking a dog and calling a baby *names*! hurry.

Apple CEO, Tim Cook, rumored to resign amid controversial statements regarding infants and cruelty to animals, one analyst states.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    It was clear that whoever wrote that blog post was looking for attention.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Apple CEO, Tim Cook, rumored to resign amid controversial statements regarding infants and cruelty to animals, one analyst states.

You should at least include the Business Insider link to such articles...

• Reply 8 of 25
    focher wrote: »
    You should at least include the Business Insider link to such articles...

But I quoted my analyst source!! I'm buckin for a job at AI.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

"Klug added, "there's no reason for Apple to want to arbitrarily limit their devices,"

Check out the brain on Klug!  (said in my Samuel L. Jackson voice)

• Reply 10 of 25
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Too priceless for words. The rush to publish negative news about Apple bites so-called "journalists" in the buttocks once again.

I think that a lot of people are trying desperately to make Apple out to be the bad guy So they take a small snippet of something and run with it without understanding the context. The sort of things politicians usually due around campaign time.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    pooch wrote: »

In other words, a typical Thursday.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

Are you sure??!?!!?

...I heard he was throttling them...

• Reply 13 of 25
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Wow. I guess random people making uneducated claims get just as much attention as anyone else these days.

It's called a "nation of bloggers".

And if you're the one caught making the mistake, you say, "Whoops-a-Mike-Daisy!"
  • Reply 14 of 25
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

He got the clicks he was after, collateral damage be damned. In his book, that is a win. Reputation does not seem to matter when others pick it up and reprint it, as long as it is negative and has the word Apple.

• Reply 15 of 25
    boredumb wrote: »
    Are you sure??!?!!?
    ...I heard he was throttling them...

Well turned. /bow
  • Reply 16 of 25
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Yet another worthless article that was posted by some ignoramus on their blog, and then picked up and reported as news, even though it turned out to be 100% false. 

• Reply 17 of 25
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    It'll be interesting to see if THIS story gets as much headlines as the original.

And if it doesn't, it won't be interesting - it'll be the same as any other hit piece directed at Apple. Major headlines on the negative, barely a mention that it was untrue.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    td912td912 Posts: 26member
    FYI, Brian Klug is a knowledgeable guy that writes for AnandTech. Don't confuse him with the developer that started this stupid rumor.

He's the same guy that's been posting patches that supposidly make your phone's 3G/4G speeds a little faster, but it also kills battery life. Instead of apologizing or updating his article, the developer just deleted his blog post...
  • Reply 19 of 25
    elmoofoelmoofo Posts: 100member
    Shoot first; ask questions later. That's why bloggers aren't journalists.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Who's getting fired for reporting this?

That's the question we ALL need to be asking of the original source. Who is getting fired for reporting this. Because they need to be fired.