ITC issues US import ban on older iPhones and iPads for infringement of Samsung patents [u]

Comments

• Reply 241 of 263
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip0106 View Post

Exactly, those people aren't worth a single intelligent response, their maximum level in discussion is "rounded corners, market share, apple is doomed, small screen..." . And every single time it's the same. Just ignore them and when they get too offensive erase the shit out of them.

You forgot 'iOS is stale,' and the all-time classic, 'I have owned a number of Apple products for the longest time.....'

• Reply 242 of 263
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    e_veritas wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I have only been able to see his comments from quoted material; as everything was already deleted when I started reading. I'll just have to take your word that things like that were said I suppose.

You don't have to take only his word. There were dozens of posters that know a troll when we read one.
  • Reply 243 of 263
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

There were dozens of posters that know a troll when we read one.

Except we don't matter, you see.

• Reply 244 of 263
    dcolleydcolley Posts: 87member
    I will never buy anything with Samsungs name on it. Basically all their stuff is junk
  • Reply 245 of 263
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Until Apple moves completely away from Samsung as a supplier (which isn't likely to happen anytime soon), to boycott Samsung means boycotting Apple as well.

To make broad statements like, "all their stuff is junk" is also saying that products like the iPhone are junk because they are filled with Samsung components.

• Reply 246 of 263
    tuftstufts Posts: 3member
    Why ask for rebuttals when rebuttals earn you a ban? JoshKar426 made some very valid points which solely ended in a ban and a deletion of his posts.
  • Reply 247 of 263
    bleh1234bleh1234 Posts: 146member
    Bruised egos tends to be power mad and weilds its mighty ban hammer.
  • Reply 248 of 263
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Unfortunately, I have only been able to see his comments from quoted material; as everything was already deleted when I started reading. I'll just have to take your word that things like that were said I suppose.

That explains why you think he was "on topic" and not trolling. Part of me wishes those posts weren't thrown into the memory hole. There was also some sock account(?) that was favoring nearly every post this guy made, including the gloating provocations and boasting about how he was gleefully annoying people on this site. It was barely disguised. It went well beyond fanboyism, into psychosocial health territory.
  • Reply 249 of 263
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    droidftw wrote: »
    Any good points that JoshKar426 had were hurt by making such hyperbolic statements like Apple spends $0 on R&D and Apple maps kills people everyday.  It's obvious that he was trolling.  That said, the conversation about the over zealous moderation on this site is worthwhile, IMO.

Blatant trolling shouldn't be allowed, but deleting comments and banning anyone who says anything remotely against Apple is not conducive to creating an environment that will be taken seriously by outsiders.  This behavior simply creates a sycophantic echo chamber that shows it's bias with blinding clarity.  If Apple Insider wants to create a Fox News/CNN type of environment then my point is moot.  However, if AI wants to be taken seriously they will need to allow for both sides of an argument.  If an Android enthusiast comes here (again, assuming they're not a troll) and wants to have a civil discussion about Android vs. Apple I fail to see how that's a bad thing.  Again, it just depends on the type of environment AI wishes to create and how they want the rest of the world to see them.

I'm fairly confident that this post will be deleted and I will be banned for speaking out so will someone please quote this in a response ASAP so that others can see it?

Why would your post be deleted?

I see plenty of anti-Apple posts here. Not all cross the line. Some do. Not all get deleted, but again, some do.
  • Reply 250 of 263
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    I would love to know how any view isn't formed on 'partial information'? Are you declaring yourself some sort of omniscient being? The tone of your comment sure seems to suggest so....

Now you're being obtuse. His point was clear.
  • Reply 251 of 263
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

"Apparatus and method for encoding/decoding transport format combination indicator in CDMA mobile communication system,"

Am I missing something? Since when is a GSM product the same as a CDMA product? If anything, this should only pertain to CDMA models (Verizon, Sprint etc.), but it's aimed clearly at GSM models (AT&T). image

GSM phones use another radio, a CDMA one, for 3G.

(More exactly, they use WCDMA to implement UMTS-3G.)

• Reply 252 of 263
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    tufts wrote: »
    Why ask for rebuttals when rebuttals earn you a ban? JoshKar426 made some very valid points which solely ended in a ban and a deletion of his posts.

If someone has "very valid points" they can just make it. But peppering alleged "valid points" with invectives against the reason behind this fan site, is a way to get booted from this site.

Call us fanboys, boot.

Breathless exaggerations and hyperbole against the company or users, boot. Examples: "Apple never innovates", "Apple is nothing but an over glorified Dell", etc. If you don't think those are likes intended to rile up forum members, then I have several bridges for sale.

"Apple does do something better than Samsung, and that's drawing great-looking rectangles." Either trolling or much less likely, needs eyes checked. Boot. I mean come on, some of the competing laptops are much like the Chinese KIRFs, but running Windows.

I just don't see a good reason to let people come here and trash Apple or its customers. I highly doubt any of the Android fan sites would let its Apple fan members trash Google in the same way on their sites.
  • Reply 253 of 263
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If someone has "very valid points" they can just make it. But peppering alleged "valid points" with invectives against the reason behind this fan site, is a way to get booted from this site.

Call us fanboys, boot.

Breathless exaggerations and hyperbole against the company or users, boot. Examples: "Apple never innovates", "Apple is nothing but an over glorified Dell", etc. If you don't think those are likes intended to rile up forum members, then I have several bridges for sale.

"Apple does do something better than Samsung, and that's drawing great-looking rectangles." Either trolling or much less likely, needs eyes checked. Boot. I mean come on, some of the competing laptops are much like the Chinese KIRFs, but running Windows.

I just don't see a good reason to let people come here and trash Apple or its customers. I highly doubt any of the Android fan sites would let its Apple fan members trash Google in the same way on their sites.

There are tones of disrespectful and denigrative comments by AI members including "moderators", but they are not deleted or banned since they are toward to any entity but Apple.  As AI is an open forum site where nonmembers could also read, there should be standards or rules that apply fairly to all members.  

• Reply 254 of 263
    hjb wrote: »
    There are tones of disrespectful and denigrative comments by AI members including "moderators", but they are not deleted or banned since they are toward to any entity but Apple.  As AI is an open forum site where nonmembers could also read, there should be standards or rules that apply fairly to all members.

This is a special interest site. Anyone that thinks it's OK to go to that special interest site to tell them they're all idiots and the things they like are stupid are the trolls.

Yours is a nice idea, in theory, I'm pretty sure it would not work in reality. I think it was like that before iOS and we weren't constantly inundated by increasingly hostile Android fans. It's been increasingly difficult to give people the benefit of the doubt, and a few people without hostile intent do use the troll talking points without realizing it. We really can't give people free reign to interlopers who are here to cause trouble.

That anyone can read is the forum is unimportant as far as I'm concerned. People that come to raise trouble deserve a little verbal abuse. Kicking a hornet's nest results in stings. You really can't blame the hornets for defending their turf.
  • Reply 255 of 263
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    [quote]Originally Posted by JoshKar426 View Post

Yes, as I'm sure none of you tech-illiterate mac fans could even write a "hello world" script if your lives depended on it. :lol:[/quote]

[CODE]
    <?php

set_time_limit(0);

$file = 'http://prairiefirenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/YEAH-WELL-****-YOU.jpg'; //Replace **** with obvious.
    $img = imagecreatefromstring(file_get_contents($file));
    list($width, $height) = getimagesize($file);
    $scale = 10;
    $chars = array(
    ' ', '\'', '.', ':',
    '|', 'T', 'X', '0',
    '#',
    );

$chars = array_reverse($chars);
    $c_count = count($chars);

for($y = 0; $y <= $height - $scale - 1; $y += $scale) {
    for($x = 0; $x <= $width - ($scale / 2) - 1; $x += ($scale / 2)) {
    $rgb = imagecolorat($img, $x, $y);
    $r = (($rgb >> 16) & 0xFF);
    $g = (($rgb >> 8) & 0xFF);
    $b = ($rgb & 0xFF);
    $sat = ($r + $g + $b) / (255 * 3);
    echo $chars[ (int)( $sat * ($c_count - 1) ) ];
    }
    echo PHP_EOL;
    }

?>
    [/CODE]
  • Reply 256 of 263
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by hjb View Post

As AI is an open forum…

As AI is a private forum… 

People that come to raise trouble deserve a little verbal abuse. Kicking a hornet's nest results in stings. You really can't blame the hornets for defending their turf.

Hoo-rah.

• Reply 257 of 263
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Code:

&lt;?php

set_time_limit(0);

$file = 'http://prairiefirenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/YEAH-WELL-****-YOU.jpg'; //Replace **** with obvious.
    $img = imagecreatefromstring(file_get_contents($file));
    list($width, $height) = getimagesize($file);
    $scale = 10;
    $chars = array(
    ' ', '\'', '.', ':',
    '|', 'T', 'X', '0',
    '#',
    );

$chars = array_reverse($chars);
    $c_count = count($chars);

for($y = 0; $y &lt;= $height - $scale - 1; $y += $scale) {
    for($x = 0; $x &lt;= $width - ($scale / 2) - 1; $x += ($scale / 2)) {
    $rgb = imagecolorat($img, $x, $y);
    $r = (($rgb &gt;&gt; 16) &amp; 0xFF);
    $g = (($rgb &gt;&gt; 8) &amp; 0xFF);
    $b = ($rgb &amp; 0xFF);
    $sat = ($r + $g + $b) / (255 * 3);
    echo $chars[ (int)( $sat * ($c_count - 1) ) ];
    }
    echo PHP_EOL;
    }

?&gt;

LOL..... I was thinking a "goodbye" script but an fu script is good

• Reply 258 of 263
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

This is a special interest site. Anyone that thinks it's OK to go to that special interest site to tell them they're all idiots and the things they like are stupid are the trolls.

Yours is a nice idea, in theory, I'm pretty sure it would not work in reality. I think it was like that before iOS and we weren't constantly inundated by increasingly hostile Android fans. It's been increasingly difficult to give people the benefit of the doubt, and a few people without hostile intent do use the troll talking points without realizing it. We really can't give people free reign to interlopers who are here to cause trouble.

It would be sufficient to simply see Rule #1 applied less selectively.

Quote:

People that come to raise trouble deserve a little verbal abuse.

There ya' go. 

It's your forum, so if you feel it benefits your advertising revenue to encourage a lynch mob mentality, don't let fairness or civility stop you.  But if you want AI to be seen as anything more than the Bill O'Reilly of the Mac world, consider just applying the few rules you already have more evenly.

• Reply 259 of 263
    macrulez wrote: »
    It would be sufficient to simply see Rule #1 applied less selectively.

There ya' go. 

It's your forum, so if you feel it benefits your advertising revenue to encourage a lynch mob mentality, don't let fairness or civility stop you.  But if you want AI to be seen as anything more than the Bill O'Reilly of the Mac world, consider just applying the few rules you already have more evenly.

There's a point where people coming here with the intent of *not* being civil, getting in whatever jabs in that they can get away with, are basically asking for reciprocity.

I'm not going to be suckered into an argument that suggests the we disarm ourselves against trolls. That's what I see to be the logical conclusion of this kind of argument.

I'm OK with disagreement, but when people come in and say to the effect that Steve kicked their dog or something, then they're coming in for an argument.

And no, it's not my forum, but the few moderators are doing what we can against a barrage of trolls. I wish it were otherwise, but until the barrage lets up, I don't see our collective response changing.
  • Reply 260 of 263
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

There's a point where people coming here with the intent of *not* being civil, getting in whatever jabs in that they can get away with, are basically asking for reciprocity.

I'm not going to be suckered into an argument that suggests the we disarm ourselves against trolls. That's what I see to be the logical conclusion of this kind of argument.

Not my intention to "sucker", just to have an open discussion about fairness.

The trick here is defining "intent".  I'm not suggesting that a formal definition can be arrived at, but I do see many people use presumptions of intent as an excuse to engage in very ugly behavior, unbecoming of a community that aspires to being taken seriously.