External harddrive not working. . .

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hey, just got an external harddrive

Acomdata firewire 7200rpm drive, seamed to be pretty normal, i mean i got it at compusa

So i open it up glance at manual and follow dirrections, i insert the disk and open the installer, but it basicly says there is not program to open it, would you like to choose one. . . i tried itunes but it didn't work. . . wonder why.

So i tried just opening the application on the cd, and it started classic. this was my all time fear, i loathe classic, quickly canceling it an ejecting the cd i worry becuase i bought this sucker 550 miles away. so i just plugged it in, figured why not.

So it says it needs to inialize, sure that sounds good right? i click the button lable iniatialize, and it open disk utilty where it displays both my internal and my external harddrives but it doesnt do anything, i tried to first aid-a-fie it but it has not problems.

The disk is in DOS-FAT format, figures right?

So where do i go from here?, i don't wanna mess anything up, and i just want to use it for storage, yay thankyou all smart people

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I bought the same hd or brand awhile back......mine has worked fine. I didn't install any drivers at all. It was simple plug and play type deal.

I partitioned mine no problems. I thought about installing the drivers on the cd for like one second. I wouldn't recommend using the utility that came with it either.

Just try and initialize it with X or even in 9 if your having issues.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    open disk utility in the Utilities folder and intialize your external HD with HFS+

HTH

(btw, were you away xionja? didn't saw you for a long time. )
  • Reply 3 of 6
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Yeah, i was traveling for thanksgiving, and my dads laptop reffuses to connect tot he internet anywhere but home. Wow, i feal special now, people notice when i go

When i am in Disk Utility, there is nowhere where it says iniatilize, the tabs across the top are

'information, first aid, erase, partition, RAID'

Do i use another utility to inialize?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    you were near it.

on the left side, click onto your external Harddrive.

then go over to the tab which says "erase" pick "HFS+" from the pop-up list, enter a name, click onto the check box to install drivers for OS 9 (could be handy, and doesn't hurt).

finally click onto "erase" and off you go.

HTH
  • Reply 5 of 6
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    I am getting closer!!

so I select the hard drive not the ghosted unnamed volume and go to erase my options on the pull down are

Mac os extened

mac os standard

unix

dos

which of the mac os ones is the right one to choose(which coresponds with the HFS+)?

I assume they have made it easyer for idiots like myself,

thankyou for all your help defiant
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Mac OS Extended = HFS+

you're welcome !