Objective vs Subjective reporting -> Or, how to look like a tool

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014

The amount of venomous, defensive news making going on with Apple Insider is truly sad.  People, can we please pull it back to objective reporting please.   The venom written in this article is appalling.

I find it interesting how how much dynamic there is between Apple and Google, how they support each other, and fight with each other.  DO NOT write junk about how one is superior over the other, or how the media has been unfair.   If you want to assert how Google ran a smear campaign, that's fine, but keep it professional please.

The recent articles detailing unfairness of the market or media perception is self-delusional at best and caries its own set of problems preaching to the choir.  We've seen and heard it before, so lets keep it informative with the tone and direction aimed at outsiders.

- Aaron.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by otri View Post

DO NOT write junk about how one is superior over the other, or how the media has been unfair.

So… don't write the truth. Got it.

The recent articles detailing unfairness of the market or media perception is self-delusional at best…

Claiming the media doesn't currently have a bias against Apple is delusional at best.

• Reply 2 of 13
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Most of AI's reporting is fine. It's written from an Apple fan's perspective but it's almost always factually accurate.

It's only Daniel Eran Dilger who steps over the mark, IMO. He commits virtually every sin for an analyst/writer: cherry-picking data, twisting facts and defending his writing under a pseudonym. 

• Reply 3 of 13

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

…defending his writing under a pseudonym. 

People keep saying this. Is there proof of it? I could never find any.

• Reply 4 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    From a PM exchange I had a few months ago:

"I don't know for a fact. But the writing style, the fact I've called him by Daniel at least once before that with no complaint from him, no denial when I referenced Roughly Drafted as his blog, no editing of his posts for language by any of the mods, and the one big giveaway:

A few weeks back there was an article up that I commented on. Corrections piped up and said I was lying and no such thing had ever been claimed. I referred him to the source at theVerge and suggested he take up the lie with him. Over the next 30 minutes or so there were several reports around the web confirming what I had posted was true. Withing the hour Corrections post had completely disappeared, not just edited out. As if it never existed. Who besides a mod or Admin can do that?"
  • Reply 5 of 13

Mr. Tallest Skil, why do you repeating to everyone on this forum on every topic?

What makes you think that you are an expert in everything and what motivates you to talk in such manner with other people? Nothing personal, i'm just interested because it's present in every topic of this forum...

Question to administration: Is this the "Appleinsider" forum or mistakenly by some reason it is now the private community of one person - tallest skil??? Why the name wasn't changed?

• Reply 6 of 13
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    So… don't write the truth. Got it.

Hey, another mans garbage is another mans treasure. He really does have a good point though, the millions of users who use other platforms can't all be idiots, wrong, delusional or whatever adjective that comes to mind. I love all sorts of technology from different companies, my gizmo loyalties lay with whatever makes me smile and get's the job that I need done, done.

I don't like pointing fingers or singling anyone out but a lot of your posts seem to be very biased, I don't have access to the SQL data for this site but if someone did a search and count of how many times you've said, "shut up and go away" it would probably be in the high hundreds. Yes, I know there are a lot of antagonizers and would be trolls who just want to ruin ones day but when one is just defending their use of brand X in lieu of Apple's offering because of this feature or that doesn't make them a-holes. In fact I truly believe most of the users you get upset with are truly hard core Apple users who were just disappointed that the Apple device they were interested in didn't have that main feature they wanted. For instance I don't use an iPhone because it doesn't have a file manager or SD-Card, I like having those features enough that I went elsewhere for my needs. I stand by my decision, I will even happily argue why I chose such a device I may even express my disappointment towards Apple for not providing me with that feature. Doesn't mean I'm a troll, just means I'm a spoiled brat like everyone else who can afford premium products and I hate not getting what I want.

Moral of the story is, I like you, you're funny, knowledgeable of tech, have great insight, just be a little nicer. Now I'll shut up and go away.;)
  • Reply 7 of 13
    gatorguy wrote: »
    From a PM exchange I had a few months ago:

"I don't know for a fact. But the writing style, the fact I've called him by Daniel at least once before that with no complaint from him, no denial when I referenced Roughly Drafted as his blog, no editing of his posts for language by any of the mods, and the one big giveaway:

A few weeks back there was an article up that I commented on. Corrections piped up and said I was lying and no such thing had ever been claimed. I referred him to the source at theVerge and suggested he take up the lie with him. Over the next 30 minutes or so there were several reports around the web confirming what I had posted was true. Withing the hour Corrections post had completely disappeared, not just edited out. As if it never existed. Who besides a mod or Admin can do that?"

Okay Tallest, this is where you can say, "shutup and go away". Just kidding Gatorguy, I was just being facetious.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    People keep saying this. Is there proof of it? I could never find any.

“Real evidence is usually vague and unsatisfactory. It has to be examined---sifted. But here the whole thing is cut and dried. No, my friend, this evidence has been very cleverly manufactured---so cleverly that it has defeated its own ends.”
    ? Agatha Christie

“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
    ? Carl Sagan

“If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide that proves they should value evidence.
    ? Sam Harris
  • Reply 9 of 13

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

…I don't have access to the SQL data for this site but if someone did a search and count of how many times you've said, "shut up and go away" it would probably be in the high hundreds.

Exactly 35.

Yes, I know there are a lot of antagonizers and would be trolls who just want to ruin ones day but when one is just defending their use of brand X in lieu of Apple's offering because of this feature or that doesn't make them a-holes.

They came onto a private forum about Apple products to do so. Yes. It does. Either that or it makes them complete idiots.

In fact I truly believe most of the users you get upset with are truly hard core Apple users who were just disappointed that the Apple device they were interested in didn't have that main feature they wanted.

Oh, there are some, absolutely, but the percentage is far below 5.

For instance I don't use an iPhone because it doesn't have a file manager or SD-Card, I like having those features enough that I went elsewhere for my needs. I stand by my decision, I will even happily argue why I chose such a device I may even express my disappointment towards Apple for not providing me with that feature. Doesn't mean I'm a troll…

Right! It makes you a fair few things for wanting that, but not a troll. Not presenting it like that, at least. The WAY that argument is presented in the vast majority of cases makes it trolling.

[reference to Gatorguy's post]

I'm sort of in that camp myself. There's a lot that makes it look like something funny may be going on, but we can't act without hard evidence and there's just not enough on the back end to suggest that what is happening is 1:1 as people claim.

I don't think we'd ever know for sure, but if it is happening we can only hope that it stops.

• Reply 10 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

I'm sort of in that camp myself. There's a lot that makes it look like something funny may be going on, but we can't act without hard evidence and there's just not enough on the back end to suggest that what is happening is 1:1 as people claim.

I don't think we'd ever know for sure, but if it is happening we can only hope that it stops.

Edit: I'm guessing you meant questions about who Corrections is?
  • Reply 11 of 13

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Edit: I'm guessing you meant questions about who Corrections is?

Right, right. Sorry if that was unclear.

• Reply 12 of 13
    Exactly 35.

Really! Hmmm, are you sure you used a ubiquitous search '%shut up and go away%'. I kid, I kid.... :D
  • Reply 13 of 13

Really! Hmmm, are you sure you used a ubiquitous search '%shut up and go away%'. I kid, I kid.... image

Yep! Huddler's actually pretty good about this sort of thing if you know how to handle it. It's the only thing it's good at, really. And since vBulletin's search was completely worthless…

Granted, I just went ahead and included plain "shut up"s in there, too. image