Samsung shares slide amid Galaxy S4 sales concerns, mimicking Apple's own losses

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66

Quote:

Rather than sales, investors were mostly interested in Apple's announcement of a $100 billion capital buyback program and a 15 percent increase to its quarterly dividend payout. 

Watch Sammy imitate Apple now, by announcing a $100 thousand capital buyback program and a 15 cent increase to it's quarterly dividend payout.  ;)

• Reply 22 of 66
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Wonder if this rumored trade-in program is real. If so, how does it differ from what's currently happening?

Not sure if it is real or not, but the news stations sure are selling it like it is...

• Reply 23 of 66
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vision33r

Samsung is their own enemy right now, not Apple. They over produced, over market, and rolled out too many tricks and gimmicks. You watch the Sammy commercials they intentionally and smugly targeted Apple users which will attract Apple haters but people who are on the fence may not like attack ads.

People I know who got the S3 will most likely not upgrade for the next 2 years since the S4 is same physical size just different bits and pieces inside.

This is exactly correct.  the thing is that Samsung now has to go beyond simple copying and actually produce something innovative because they are now being closely watched by the tech community. The weird introduction of the S4 and the S4 itself prove that they "don't get it"-- you can't simply stuff all kinds of nearly useless stuff into a phone to satisfy a spec sheet and have it be a hit. Regular users don't care about the number of cores or the pixel count (beyond a certain point), they care about usability and battery life.  Time will tell but, in my opinion, Samsung has peaked if they continue to follow the "Copy Apple" path.

• Reply 24 of 66
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Samsung didn't sell 10 million phones in 30 days, they shipped 10 million phones. There is a significant difference, especially when just a few weeks later orders were cut 30%.
  • Reply 25 of 66

This is a little odd.

With Apple, the iPhone represents almost 2/3rd of their entire revenue/profit. Samsung Electronics is divided up into many sections from Mobile to Semiconductors to LCD's and so on. The S4 only accounts for about 1/10th (or less) of Samsung revenue (based on their 10 million units shipped).

So it doesn't really make sense for Samsung shares to drop so much when they have another 90% of business spread out over many other areas.

Then again, share prices never make sense (look at Apple) so I guess it's business as usual for the speculators.

• Reply 26 of 66
    dwillydwilly Posts: 60member
    Samsung 4 is just a tricked up plastic toy
  • Reply 27 of 66
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

Good!

• Reply 28 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

But Sammy shipped 10 MM GS4's in a month?!!

Cue the Fandroids saying Sammy lost its innovation and is in a slow decline. What, only Apple can be described like that?

It was 5MM, get your story right.

• Reply 29 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by andrzejls View Post

It was 5MM, get your story right.

Does it really matter how many they lie about as long as they're lying?

And I'm still bothered by "MM" for million.

• Reply 30 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Other than yourself, I doubt that the rest of the world cares a whole heck of a lot whether you honestly thought "....Samsung was pounding Apple to death".....

This also can be said about you. So stop insults and add something constructive to this forum, not your constant rants.

• Reply 31 of 66
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

My only regret is not shorting the hell out of this Fandroid stock. Is Samsung even on US exchanges? I don't see it there.

Whatever Samsung is currently worth is still far too much, and I look forward to it decreasing in value even more.

As for the deeply disturbed individual in this thread who is incoherently mumbling delusional thoughts about Samsung pounding Apple to death, I would advise you to seek some help, before it's too late to reverse your condition.

• Reply 32 of 66
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Samsung is doomed! Samsung doesn't innovate! Samsung needs to release a $0.05 handset!

Replace Samsung with Apple and this is the kind of shill that the fandroids have been preaching all year. Have fun with your falling stock.

Sammy's newest washer/dryer combo is very innovative! Though it's lack of a removable battery, memory expansion card or mini-USB port keeps it from being stellar.

• Reply 33 of 66
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

Maybe it's too early to tell if Samsung share will slide for as long or as deep as Apple. Apple lost 45% from its peak of $705 to its trough of $382 in 8 months. Samsung only dropped 6% for a day. I'm not a Samsung investor in anyway, but the pain in Apple has been management's dead silence during the slide. For Samsung it looks like someone may care if a prolonged downturn in stock price is played out.

Samsung is a lot more than electronics so I'm unsure what the overall impact of their phones hitting a plateau (which IIRC, they actually stated in their last earnings forecast as being about to happen) would be. They do consumer appliances and such as well, washers and dryers etc.

• Reply 34 of 66
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Does it really matter how many they lie about as long as they're lying?

And I'm still bothered by "MM" for million.

MM is "Million in some financial contexts". Thanks Wiki. Would M*M be better?
  • Reply 35 of 66
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

My only regret is not shorting the hell out of this Fandroid stock. Is Samsung even on US exchanges? I don't see it there.

Whatever Samsung is currently worth is still far too much, and I look forward to it decreasing in value even more.

As for the deeply disturbed individual in this thread who is incoherently mumbling delusional thoughts about Samsung pounding Apple to death, I would advise you to seek some help, before it's too late to reverse your condition.

Samsung is traded only on the so-called 'pink sheets' in the US, i.e., it's not a regular ADR. The bid-ask spreads on those are way too high, and the trading is extremely thin. You want to stay away form those as a retail investor.

It's not surprising that Samsung doesn't want to do a full ADR listing in the US -- it is consistent with their generally not wanting to provide too much information about themselves (their investor relations people never respond to emails either).

• Reply 36 of 66
    rmbp15rmbp15 Posts: 5member

They deserve this.

• Reply 37 of 66

MM is "Million in some financial contexts". Thanks Wiki. Would M*M be better?

I know, but I'd think a single m would make sense. How many Ms in 'million', after all…

• Reply 38 of 66
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Time for Samsung to doom .

Except Samsung's doom is branded "S-DOOM" and uses NFC and is listed as one of the bullet point features of the Galaxy S4 to prove how innovative Samsung is.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I know, but I'd think a single m would make sense. How many Ms in 'million', after all…

Ah...but a single 'm' is meters.
  • Reply 40 of 66

Ah...but a single 'm' is meters.

"How many Galaxy S4's did we ship, Kirino?"

"5 meters."

"…"

I think given the context it'd be fine. image