Apple expands WWDC banners to wrap Metreon, adds '7' and 'X' signage

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has added new banners for its Worldwide Developer Conference in San Francisco, with two large signs presenting simply "7" and "X," and massive new signage across the street on the Metreon shopping center.

WWDC 2013 banners

The new exterior signs on the Metreon replicate WWDC's "where a whole new world is developing" slogan along with brightly colored titles and a large Apple logo, creating a dominating presence on Fourth Street.

WWDC 2013 banners

WWDC 2013 banners

Along the sides of the Moscone West venue itself, Apple also also erected its customary vertical flags for WWDC, along with 2013 in Roman numerals (above). The company announced in April that it would be showing off the next major releases of both iOS and OS X at WWDC 2013.

WWDC 2013 banners

WWDC 2013 banners

Inside, two new large signs hint at the next versions of both iOS (a huge "7" in a spectrum of colors, on a white polka-dotted background) and OS X (depicted as a big white "X" against a fluid wave of blue and green). It is unknown whether Apple will be using the banners' font style ? Helvetica Neue Ultra Light ? in its branding for both operating systems moving forward. The current iOS 6 and OS X 10.8 logos use a version of Myriad Pro.

WWDC 2013 banners

Apple is rumored to announce upgraded MacBooks featuring Intel's new Haswell processors at the event. More specifically, KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has been reliable in predicting Apple's product announcements, expects a slimmer 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro model with upgraded FaceTime camera, and a dual microphone MacBook Air, to be introduced.

WWDC 2013 is scheduled to run from June 10 to 14, with a keynote slated to kick off the event on Monday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 168
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Well, we know it's still OS X. So 10.9. GOOD. Not time to merge yet.

Nice, clean, simple. But still rich and detailed. Hopefully that's a good sign.

Also, can anyone help me fill in the gaps in my plan to lift those two signs for my very own once the week's out? image

• Reply 2 of 168
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    For the past few weeks I've been humming along patiently for the 10th. Yeah, graphics are going up. Then they put up that OS X banner and it's driving me crazy. I have no idea what to make of it because they haven't done anything like that in the past. A wave??
  • Reply 3 of 168
    Oh NO! The big new feature of IOs is that all numbers will be ROMAN NUMERALS! Dang, that is going to be hard to relearn....
  • Reply 4 of 168

Originally Posted by applenewbie View Post

Oh NO! The big new feature of IOs is that all numbers will be ROMAN NUMERALS!

… There's a 7 right on the banner…

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I have no idea what to make of it because they haven't done anything like that in the past. A wave??

It's just a graphic, like the blades of grass in Leopard.

• Reply 5 of 168
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    How ironic. It used to be called Sony Metreon, and it used to contain a huge Sony store (the only place I've ever seen an Aibo other than in a tiny cameo in "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.") And there used to be a separate Play Station store too.

Oh, and yeah, Metreon used to contain a Microsoft Store. It closed after 2 years, in 2001.
  • Reply 6 of 168
    Looks like silhouette of apple tv that are making all the colors.

I presume one of the "whole new worlds" are apps for TV?
  • Reply 7 of 168

Originally Posted by steveapple View Post

Looks like silhouette of apple tv that are making all the colors.

It's a rounded square, for heaven's sake.

It's identical to the Mac Mini, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express, Time Capsule, Apple TV, iOS icons, and iCloud widget things.

• Reply 8 of 168
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    I see lots of people thinking the wave replaced the cats. This is replacing the distant galaxies and not the cats.
  • Reply 9 of 168

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's a rounded square, for heaven's sake.

It's identical to the Mac Mini, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express, Time Capsule, Apple TV, iOS icons, and iCloud widget things.

I doubt the mac mini or airport/capsules are WWDC worthy.

Perhaps ios/icloud icons but those are less rounded.  

• Reply 10 of 168

Originally Posted by steveapple View Post

I doubt the mac mini or airport/capsules are WWDC worthy.

Haswell and 802.11ac. Plenty of reason to mention them.

Perhaps ios/icloud icons but those are less rounded.  

Rounded squares are rounded squares. It's foolishness to derive "Apple TV" from the banners.

• Reply 11 of 168
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Apple is buying Microsoft. Windows 7, meet OSX 10
  • Reply 12 of 168
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

So what can we deduce from by inspecting the various WWDC billboards and banners?

My random guesses would be:

1. iOS might have light-colored default wallpapers, possibly with textures (e.g. the polka dot "7" background).

2. iOS and/or its built-in apps might have a different system font (the thin Helvetica variant.)

3. Apple's own iOS apps and icons might be more colorful and translucent, setting an example for 3rd party apps.

4. OS X might be named along a "Surfing Cat" theme from 10.9 on.

• Reply 13 of 168
    Big guess.... those "icons" sure do look like an apple TV... lets see... "a whole new world is developing"... hmmmmm. iOS 7 apps on Apple TV.
  • Reply 14 of 168
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

• Reply 15 of 168
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    I have to say, that 7 banner looks absolutely stunning. Yes, I know it's a 7. But the typography, colors, and white space makes it look epic. This is the biggest hint yet that both iOS and OSX are going to see significant visual changes. I couldn't be more excited.
  • Reply 16 of 168

Originally Posted by stevenforehand View Post

Big guess.... those "icons" sure do look like an apple TV... lets see... "a whole new world is developing"... hmmmmm. iOS 7 apps on Apple TV.

Why do you think hiding behind a second account (we don't allow multiple accounts) will get people to believe what your'e saying?

The squares look like a wide variety of things, as I have said. They don't look any more like an Apple TV than anything else.

• Reply 17 of 168
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I have to say, that 7 banner looks absolutely stunning. Yes, I know it's a 7. But the typography, colors, and white space makes it look epic. This is the biggest hint yet that both iOS and OSX are going to see significant visual changes. I couldn't be more excited.

That's what I was thinking too. I can't wait to see what they change.
  • Reply 18 of 168
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yes, second that. It all signals a departure from what we know and the people complaining about so many shades of OSX grey must be feeling very hopeful. The new lettering and all the colours and shapes is all very far removed from computer and software imagery of the past. This is all very 'post-pc' where the nuts and bolts no longer are visible. 

• Reply 19 of 168
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

What's with the new super skinny fonts? Isn't that presenting an unrealistic ideal that most average fonts will never be able to achieve in their lifetime? Will other fonts have to go on a potentially dangerous diet now? Is Apple glorifying skinniness and mocking fat fonts?

The one thing that I'd like to see Apple present next week is 10.6.9, not on stage, but as a quiet update. Wasn't that supposed to be released ages ago? Is it ever going to be released, or has Apple completely abandoned it? There are still many older Macs with people still running Snow Leopard on them, and it could use one final update, adding some more iCloud support, as certain iCloud features are not available in Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard is still very popular and used by many people, including me.

I also look forward to seeing what new features will be included in iOS7. And of course, I'd love to see some unexpected hardware announcement, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

• Reply 20 of 168

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

This is all very 'post-pc' where the nuts and bolts no longer are visible. 

Post-PC done the right way, not the cold and clinical way. Post-PC done the way of skeuomorphism; something touchable, relatable, and beautiful.