Samsung shares slide amid Galaxy S4 sales concerns, mimicking Apple's own losses

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Samsung continues to copy Apple.

So Apple thinks it invented investor panic? Typical iSheep fanboy argument. /s
  • Reply 42 of 66
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    So Apple thinks it invented investor panic? Typical iSheep fanboy argument. /s

The financial sector invented it. Apple improved upon it. How many other companies can drop 300 points and still survive with record earnings?!
  • Reply 43 of 66
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

The financial sector invented it. Apple improved upon it. 

Like everything else Apple does - improves upon inventions!

• Reply 44 of 66
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Samsung is traded only on the so-called 'pink sheets' in the US, i.e., it's not a regular ADR. The bid-ask spreads on those are way too high, and the trading is extremely thin. You want to stay away form those as a retail investor.

It's not surprising that Samsung doesn't want to do a full ADR listing in the US -- it is consistent with their generally not wanting to provide too much information about themselves (their investor relations people never respond to emails either).

Most online brokerage companies have access to the London Stock Exchange which is one of the three exchanges Samsung is traded on, so it's pretty easy to buy common stock, SMSN. I know eTrade has it for you American couch traders. UBS, the bank I work for trades Samsung in Luxembourg where it is offered as a prefered stock. I had 100 shares of Samsung for a long while, I bought it at 1,240 and sold it recently for 1,360, made a profit of 12,000. Not too shabby but I think I'm going to put in a short sale, it closed today at 1400 but I think it's going down next week. Just speculation, nothing more, I normally just trade the FTSE 100 in London and the DAX Index on Eurex in Germany but I dabble a little with tech stocks. One the greatest advantages of working in a financial firm is I have access to real time ticket data, exchange trading and clearing clients and of course a Bloomberg terminal. Nothing wrong in sneaking in a trade or two at work during lunch or the many so called smoking breaks. The people in the smoke room are starting to get suspicious though as I just step in for a sec to ask them to blow smoke on me, gotta keep up appearances.
  • Reply 45 of 66
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Channel stuffed.

Samsung doesn't report sales, they report shipments. It's the simplest and most reasonable explanation why JPMorgan suddenly knows that after a supposedly fast start, next quarters S4 numbers are going down.

No room left on the shelves.
  • Reply 46 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    vision33r wrote: »
    Samsung is their own enemy right now, not Apple. They over produced, over market, and rolled out too many tricks and gimmicks. You watch the Sammy commercials they intentionally and smugly targeted Apple users which will attract Apple haters but people who are on the fence may not like attack ads.

People I know who got the S3 will most likely not upgrade for the next 2 years since the S4 is same physical size just different bits and pieces inside.

:D

Galaxy-S4-Zoom1.png
  • Reply 47 of 66
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Ah...but a single 'm' is meters.
    Yes and a double 'm' is millimeters.
  • Reply 48 of 66
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    "How many Galaxy S4's did we ship Kirino?"
    I believe you have the wrong Nationality
  • Reply 49 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

I believe you have the wrong Nationality

For the life of me, I couldn't come up with a Korean-sounding surname off the top of my head. Chinese, yes, Japanese, certainly, but not Korean…

OS X's dictionary tells me my choice is of Philippine origin… well, at least it was the right half of the continent… image

• Reply 50 of 66
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Customers are realizing that the S4 is not such a big deal

and  Samsung will not be able to copy Apple's next iPhone before it is out.

• Reply 51 of 66
    rasimorasimo Posts: 61member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I know, but I'd think a single m would make sense. How many Ms in 'million', after all…

MM= not exactly correct Roman numerals for 1 thousand thousands = 1 million?

• Reply 52 of 66
    For the life of me, I couldn't come up with a Korean-sounding surname off the top of my head. Chinese, yes, Japanese, certainly, but not Korean…

OS X's dictionary tells me my choice is of Philippine origin… well, at least it was the right half of the continent… :p
    Park?
  • Reply 53 of 66

OS X's dictionary tells me my choice is of Philippine origin… well, at least it was the right half of the continent… :p

That's racist?
  • Reply 54 of 66
    jungmark wrote: »
    MM is "Million in some financial contexts". Thanks Wiki. Would M*M be better?
    How about "million" or "000,000", both are only 4 more keystrokes and infinitely less confusing. It's really not that hard.
  • Reply 55 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by rasimo View Post

MM= not exactly correct Roman numerals for 1 thousand thousands = 1 million?

Ah… I'm cool with that. Still not sure why the modern world wants to use them, but that's a decent explanation.

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Park?

*smacks forehead with base of palm* Park! That'd do it.

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

That's racist?

Is it? image I don't think it's racist to confuse McCormick as being an originally Irish surname, for example, where Cosgrave is.

• Reply 56 of 66
    lemon bon bon.lemon bon bon. Posts: 2,173member

Oh dear.  :P

Looks like the Karma button is being pressed by someone. :D

Crap plastic phone with crap, clunky 'me too' OS.

Chav' phone.

I hope Wallstreet punish them for not meeting targets and cutting 'shipping' unit projections.

Let's see Samsung 'innovate' their way out of this one.

Seem to have been very quiet the last half year or so.  S'funny, without Apple releasing product for them to copy or jump on.

S4.  Or 'Same4'...

...ah yes...and we need loads of 'Analysts' shouting that Samesung is 'doomed...' and make up articles of untruth about them...yeah...lots of scaremongering washed down with a tankard of stock manipulation...

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 57 of 66
    lemon bon bon.lemon bon bon. Posts: 2,173member

No.  Didn't think so.  Didn't think Samsung could take the lead.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 58 of 66
    elmoofoelmoofo Posts: 100member
    Oh, but wait?! I thought they sold 10m units in a month? Could it possibly be that they were LYING? Say it isn't so.
  • Reply 59 of 66
    How about "million" or "000,000", both are only 4 more keystrokes and infinitely less confusing. It's really not that hard.

Could you use "it is" instead of "it's"?
  • Reply 60 of 66
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    pdq2 wrote: »
    Channel stuffed.

Samsung doesn't report sales, they report shipments. It's the simplest and most reasonable explanation why JPMorgan suddenly knows that after a supposedly fast start, next quarters S4 numbers are going down.

No room left on the shelves.

Everyone reports shipments, including Apple.

The difference, however, is that Apple also provides channel inventory data (so that we can infer actual sales), and relatedly, provides data on numbers sold. Samsung hides both those numbers. I am guessing they do that because they like their hyped-up market share estimates (put out by consulting firms that don't know the first thing about data analysis), and the ASP on their 'smart'phones is embarrassing.