Apple reportedly latest company to join US government's PRISM data mining program [ux2]

Comments

• Reply 101 of 129
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

• Reply 102 of 129
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Ah, Mr Assange does still get a few articles published. I hadn't seen one recently since his rep tooks a few hits this past year.
    It popped up on Twitter - I'm surprised you didn't see it. Quite a good article I thought
  • Reply 103 of 129
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    rcfa wrote: »
    The amazing thing is this: both iOS (after quite some time) and OS X' e-mail allow for S/MIME encrypted e-mail, which would make things quite a bit more difficult, at least in the e-mail department. But of course, just about everyone's too lazy to set it up (must use self-signed certs if one is to trust it, because the certificat authorities likely have to hand over private keys to the NSA, too.) Heck, most mailing lists strip away the public key attachment, etc.

Are we having fun yet?
    My understanding is that the private key is generated on the device and can't be sent anywhere - or it wouldn't be a private key, would it?
    The CAs are certainly a weak point though, one just has to look at the Iranian debacle for that.
  • Reply 104 of 129
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    http://googleblog.blogspot.no/2013/06/what.html
    Google's most recent statement today. Seems sincere too so I'm not sure what to think.
  • Reply 105 of 129
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Google's most recent statement today. Seems sincere too so I'm not sure what to think.

Any company connected to this fiasco risks being forever tainted, unfortunately. It's difficult to imagine any good way forward from this mess until members of Congress and the president are brought up on charges for violating their sworn oaths of office.
  • Reply 106 of 129
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    1. Billions of phone calls are made each day.
    2. Hundreds of billions of emails are sent each day
    3. 200+ million web searches a day
    4. Same government that spent billions trying to sort out the VA backlog and made it worse.

So now everyone thinks our government can competingly analze all of the data and find out exactly what about you

If I was doing anything illegal i certainly like my odds of not getting caught by this, what I am sure is a major, cluster f$&k by our extreamly intelligent government.
  • Reply 107 of 129

Based on a recent article from the NY Times (take it for what is it worth), it appears that there one solution offered to the NSA was that a secure portal could be created for each company where the NSA can log into in order to receive data it has requested.  This was the NSA would not have DIRECT access to all the data and from what we've seen, all the companies have carefully worded their answers to say that the NSA does not have DIRECT access to their servers and that they comply with the existing laws when demands are made.   Apparently requests are also reviewed by corporate lawyers for each company.  

It's unfortunate but I think it's a byproduct of where we have been headed for years.  Doesn't matter which company is part of the program either, the major ones will be onboard at some point and the general population is too concerned with their own lives and the 'story of the day' to wake up and take a stand for this.

So all in all, unfortunate but not surprising.

• Reply 108 of 129
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Didn't you what some people wrote - apparently companies are obligated by law to lie.

Now that the Washington Post has changed its story and the NYT has also backtracked, who is still insisting that Apple lied, that Google lied, that Facebook lied?

Sure, these companies do not tell the truth all the time. But in this instance, the evidence is simply not there to contradict the unambiguous public statements. The newspapers have the balls to retreat from their accusations. Will the people here do the same?

• Reply 109 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy2shoes View Post

Based on a recent article from the NY Times (take it for what is it worth), it appears that there one solution offered to the NSA was that a secure portal could be created for each company where the NSA can log into in order to receive data it has requested.  This was the NSA would not have DIRECT access to all the data and from what we've seen, all the companies have carefully worded their answers to say that the NSA does not have DIRECT access to their servers and that they comply with the existing laws when demands are made.   Apparently requests are also reviewed by corporate lawyers for each company.  

It's unfortunate but I think it's a byproduct of where we have been headed for years.  Doesn't matter which company is part of the program either, the major ones will be onboard at some point and the general population is too concerned with their own lives and the 'story of the day' to wake up and take a stand for this.

So all in all, unfortunate but not surprising.

You either didn't read the NYT article fully or are deliberately obfuscating the details.

• Reply 110 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

1. Billions of phone calls are made each day.

2. Hundreds of billions of emails are sent each day

3. 200+ million web searches a day

4. Same government that spent billions trying to sort out the VA backlog and made it worse.

So now everyone thinks our government can competingly analze all of the data and find out exactly what about you

And they do all this for $20M a year. If nothing else, the NSA should win a prize for efficiency.

• Reply 111 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Any company connected to this fiasco risks being forever tainted, unfortunately. It's difficult to imagine any good way forward from this mess until members of Congress and the president are brought up on charges for violating their sworn oaths of office.

Over the top much?

• Reply 112 of 129
    gelbingelbin Posts: 4member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Well lookie there. Microsoft was first. Although I'm not surprised when Microsoft came out with COFFEE that let's the FBI into anyone's computer.

Benghazi, the IRS, PRISM, wiretapping everyone's phones - when is Obama going to be impeached?

all the turds fired up about obama, I hope they realize that bush was doing this, but he did it without the legal authority that Obama went to court to get.  the bush administration wrote the patriot act - the very basis for tracking and spying on citizens.  

• Reply 113 of 129
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gelbin View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Well lookie there. Microsoft was first. Although I'm not surprised when Microsoft came out with COFFEE that let's the FBI into anyone's computer.

Benghazi, the IRS, PRISM, wiretapping everyone's phones - when is Obama going to be impeached?

all the turds fired up about obama, I hope they realize that bush was doing this, but he did it without the legal authority that Obama went to court to get.  the bush administration wrote the patriot act - the very basis for tracking and spying on citizens.  

Yes Bush wrote the Patriot Act. Before then there were the Clipper, TIA, Topsail, Echelon, Carnivore and other programs, under a variety of Presidents, all aiming at the same goal of creating a Minority Report like future, even pre-9/11. Obama could have repealed a bunch of things, and he even took back a campaign promise by granting retroactive immunity for the telcos anyway. They are all birds of a feather....who cares if they are blue or red, they do the same: amass power, decry the others for amassing power, and then when they get that power, are all too happy to use it, and grab more of it.

That's why the cult of the President has to end. People in the US treat the President as if he were a king. He's the janitor in chief of the country, not more, not less.

It is time that people remember who is the sovereign in a democracy and assert their power over the political class.

• Reply 114 of 129
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by gelbin View Post

Ten years, and political rabble-rousing is the first thing you post?

• Reply 115 of 129
    gelbingelbin Posts: 4member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ten years, and political rabble-rousing is the first thing you post?

haven't kept track.  but guess so.  never felt a need, or perhaps had better things to do.  come to think of it, i should get back to vacuuming...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Yes Bush wrote the Patriot Act. Before then there were the Clipper, TIA, Topsail, Echelon, Carnivore and other programs, under a variety of Presidents, all aiming at the same goal of creating a Minority Report like future, even pre-9/11. Obama could have repealed a bunch of things, and he even took back a campaign promise by granting retroactive immunity for the telcos anyway. They are all birds of a feather....who cares if they are blue or red, they do the same: amass power, decry the others for amassing power, and then when they get that power, are all too happy to use it, and grab more of it.

Not true.  Congress passes and repeals legislation.  My point was not to defend obama, it was to point out the fact that obama acted under the authority bush created.  and did so legally.

It seems to me, and this has been confirmed in recent polls, that most americans believe in sacrificing some freedoms and privacies in order to have greater security.  This fits right into that mindset.  I am not saying I agree or disagree, but it seems that most americans would rather give the government the power to find out who calls foreign countries with terror links more than others and track them, so that, in theory, we are all safer.

• Reply 116 of 129
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member

Quote:

It seems to me, and this has been confirmed in recent polls, that most americans believe in sacrificing some freedoms and privacies in order to have greater security.  This fits right into that mindset.  I am not saying I agree or disagree, but it seems that most americans would rather give the government the power to find out who calls foreign countries with terror links more than others and track them, so that, in theory, we are all safer.

More people died at the hands of governments than at the hands of terrorists. So giving the government more power doesn't solve the problem, particularly if the terrorists actions are directly or indirectly motivated by crimes committed by governments with the spleen of building empires.

The problem is, people have been professionally distracted and brainwashed, and a professional army made the country willing to engage in wars, because nobody has to fear the draft. This country needs to reinstate the draft, and rethink its values, before it's too late.

It would also be good if people realized how close the religious fundamentalists in this country and in other parts of the world really are...

• Reply 117 of 129
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by japm View Post

This is a Law/Government issue, but I'm just so extremely disappointed that Apple so blatantly lied about this, exactly like Verizon did back in 2006.

They could have just said, no comment - but they made an explicit untrue statement to avoid bad PR.

This has destroyed every bid of trust that I ever had in Apple.

Doing it voluntarily is one thing, but then lying about it is another.

You don't have a shred of fucking evidence that Apple lied about anything. All these claims about "PRISM" are completely unconfirmed until now. Apple denied everything it's accused of, very clearly. Where is the evidence that Apple is so blatantly lying? The reason you believe that they are is that you never trusted them in the first place. I don't care what products you own, here's countless trolls that have done nothing but bash and mock everything Apple has ever done in the past few years while claiming how big of "fans" they are because they own some Apple products. The fact that you instantly assume the company is lying, even without a shred of evidence, confirms tat you despise them to the core and are making judgements based on that hate, and validating it for yourself. I browsed all your posts here, and there's not a single positive thing you've ever said about Apple or its products, it's all bashing and mockery, or stoically shilling for Samsung or anyone else that isn't Apple. 

You think Apple is lying? Prove it, or STFU. And stop parading as a concerned fan, because THAT is the lie, and you're utterly full of it.  

• Reply 118 of 129

Yeah no, I was looking at iOS source code on a jailbroken iPhone 3GS running iOS 6.1.2 with iFile (however I modified it to appear to be running iOS 9.0 with a build number of XXXXXX) and I found out Apple can give out an investigation ID to the government to log our every action we do, from the time we turn an iPhone on to the time we turn it off. They do this when the device is in sleepymode, or nightnight mode (that's straight from the source code, I'm not lying) when the phones been inactive for 5 minutes it sends the information to Apple.

Using SQL databases they store everything from iMessage Conversations, phone calls made, the duration of those calls, the country code, carrier used between the calls, our most used apps, our top searched applications in spotlight, etc.

What I found interesting is they have access to our iDevice filesystem database, meaning they can remotely find a file they are looking for from their headquarters without us even knowing...

My iOS 9.0 screenshot so you know I did actually tweak the source code on my 3GS

Apple iOS remote file system back door

Messages app sqldatabase, every app that uses the cloud uses sql databases... notes, calendar, reminders, contacts, phone calls, voice mails, emails, etc.

But I'm not entirely sure if they actually gather everyone's information and store it in huge sql databases... going back to the investigation id, I think they'd be required by the government to search through our sql database files or atleast filter their results for specific terms or people.

• Reply 120 of 129
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

Right, people the world over hate us for our 'freedom'. image It makes me want to puke.

You hit the nail right on the head. They hate us for our freedom. Therefore, our government takes away our freedom so they will stop hating us...