Apple reportedly throttling iPhone and iPad cellular data speeds for top three US carriers (U: nope)

Comments

• Reply 81 of 103
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    bwik wrote: »
    IIRC, Apple users download more stuff (and are over-represented online) because they are more active users and possibly have a more pleasant, less fatiguing experience. The result is double the data Android users probably pull down.
    Android owners (...) seem to use their devices more on the go, while iOS users will settle in for long sessions on their smartphone. Two-thirds of online activity on Android phones is conducted over a cellular connection, Comscore found, while more than half of all time spent online on iPhones happens over WiFi. Unsurprisingly then, Android users regularly consume more data than their iOS-using peers. With this in mind, it makes particular sense that Android users would watch less high-bandwidth video than iOS device owners.
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/04/ios-versus-android-usage/
  • Reply 82 of 103
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

There's no smoking gun here.  Wow, there are some carrier-specific configuration parameters in iOS and one of them is called, ominously enough, "Service Req Throttle" and another is called "Throttling Parameters".  So what?  Look at the value of the second parameter: failure_timer_5: 720.  Maybe just maybe this is related to the iPhone adjusting automatically to network failures? 

You know if you listen to Strawberry Fields backwards if kinda sounds like someone saying "I buried Paul."  That's about as relevant as these iOS parameter setting names. 

If Apple are helping the US carriers turn down the speed, then I am disappointed with Apple, since you have a LION product that has excited  masses and now because dumbs US Carriers cannot keep pace with demand and improve their internet bandwidth and data load carrying, you going to help them.

Shame on you Apple, Shame on you. 

• Reply 83 of 103
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

If Apple are helping the US carriers turn down the speed, then I am disappointed with Apple, since you have a LION product that has excited  masses and now because dumbs US Carriers cannot keep pace with demand and improve their internet bandwidth and data load carrying, you going to help them.

Shame on you Apple, Shame on you. 

And since it's been amply shown in this thread that Apple is not, then this is a huge YAWN.

• Reply 84 of 103
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    And since it's been amply shown in this thread that Apple is not, then this is a huge YAWN.

Since all of above is opinions, please stop copying TS, I did use the word 'IF' at beginning. At least TS is original.
  • Reply 85 of 103
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Since all of above is opinions, please stop copying TS, I did use the word 'IF' at beginning. At least TS is original.

Multiple screenshots of Speedtest showing the coder's speculation to be innacurate (demonstrated speeds in large excess of what he states are Apple code imposed limits) aren't what I'd qualify as opinion and render an "If" a suspect rhetorical device being introduced to keep alive an already proven falsehood.

YMMV.

• Reply 86 of 103
    scottjdscottjd Posts: 64member
    This whole article is a complete waist of time. Read this to get a better understanding.
    [URL]http://www.anandtech.com/show/7037/apple-not-throttling-iphones-i[/URL]

The only thing that may interest me is increasing the reconnect tries since most of the time my phone does not switch back to
    LTE after making a phone call on 4G. But this will also affect my battery life. But this guy that claims its throttling Internet removed it completely and will affect users battery life and cause unnecessary traffic on AT&T network eventually slowing down network response for everyone.

Don't believe everything you read in the Internet. But I'm more inclined to believe anandtech since I know if AT&T wants to throttle network then this is done by the network, not the phones.
    As for HD voice that he added, this will be available to all soon enough. Why mess with your phone settings and make battery life worse when HD may not even be available in you area yet?
    And since he removed the band preference (and I think AT&T only runs on one LTE frequency at this time) now your phone searches more than one band, again affecting battery life.

In short, if its not broke, don't fix it..
  • Reply 87 of 103
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

There's no smoking gun here.  Wow, there are some carrier-specific configuration parameters in iOS and one of them is called, ominously enough, "Service Req Throttle" and another is called "Throttling Parameters".  So what?  Look at the value of the second parameter: failure_timer_5: 720.  Maybe just maybe this is related to the iPhone adjusting automatically to network failures? 

Booya!  What do I win?

"Instead, Klug noted that, where there are two settings inside the files with the word "throttle" in them, these "refer purely to a retry interval throttle to prevent the phone from continually trying to reattach to an LTE network in the case of some error."

• Reply 88 of 103
    "Brown did not find evidence of throttling on devices operating on T-Mobile's network." -- yeah and people don't need to put brakes on a snail either.

Being throttled to 14 MBS doesn't seem too bad -- unless someone is downloading a movie faster than real time,.. I don't see how you consume much faster than that. A 1Gig app is installed in maybe two minutes?

The iPhone has been the bulk of the data usage on these cell networks because people actually use these things. A Samsung Galaxy on the other hand, might be used for the novelty of playing a movie now and then -- but it's a phone with "other" capabilities in most people's hands. You can see this by the app download patterns.

I figure it was going to happen anyway, so no surprise.
  • Reply 89 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Multiple screenshots of Speedtest showing the coder's speculation to be innacurate (demonstrated speeds in large excess of what he states are Apple code imposed limits) aren't what I'd qualify as opinion and render an "If" a suspect rhetorical device being introduced to keep alive an already proven falsehood.

YMMV.

Ok another TS copycat, trying to be clever with his comments Oh well time to move on.

• Reply 90 of 103
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I did use the word 'IF' at beginning.

Yeah, and then you used objective words at the end instead of continuing to use subjective ones.

Stick to a message. People might think you're… backtracking.

• Reply 91 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, and then you used objective words at the end instead of continuing to use subjective ones.

Stick to a message. People might think you're… backtracking.

Well I know what I was thinking and my opinions, so again moving on. I do not glorify Apple and know like any other company they have their bad points difference between me and some others..I see real life...others see the fairytale company and ever though I support Apple, not dumb enough to be zealous to their name.

• Reply 92 of 103

Well I know what I was thinking and my opinions…

Then you didn't articulate them properly, because you've done a 180 on that argument. Again, moving on.

• Reply 93 of 103

Quote:

Then you didn't articulate them properly, because you've done a 180 on that argument. Again, moving on.

You always right and your opinion is fact image...no wonder you get the most negative feedback. By the way my English is not that great, but that last sentence you wrote was very articulateimage

• Reply 94 of 103

You always right and your opinion is fact image...no wonder you get the most negative feedback. By the way my English is not that great, but that last sentence you wrote was very articulateimage

You said that an iPhone 4S for $300/$399 off-contract would be unacceptable.

A few weeks passed. You started insulting me in every thread.

Now you're saying it's fine.

Want the specific posts in question, or can you just admit to that right now and get it over with?

• Reply 95 of 103

Quote:

You said that an iPhone 4S for $300/$399 off-contract would be unacceptable.

A few weeks passed. You started insulting me in every thread.

Now you're saying it's fine.

Want the specific posts in question, or can you just admit to that right now and get it over with?

May want to check my comments, I said iPhone 4  was not acceptable, please link were I said and I will apologise. Secondly look who is talking, never insulted unless you for some reason, give a very rude reply and say' shut up' or reply in very rude manner. You are really blind to your own behaviour.

Trying to bully me, does not work. I do not get frustrated at people's comments like you and start telling the person to 'Shut Up' and certainly do not have blinkers over my eyes, If anything is not what I want to read.

Here is my previous comment:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, I've no intention of pursuing legal action against you; merely asserting the existence of the occurrence itself and defining the ramifications.

Indeed. This is the part where you refuse to answer the question despite being perfectly willing to do so if it were about Samsung and how "superior" they are in your market, somehow.

I'll ask again. Were Apple to release an unlocked, off-contract iPhone for $399, what do you believe the anecdotal reaction in your market would be?

Thanks Geek, he does go off on tangent and forgets what the actual discussion was about. He gets on his high mule (not horse..lol) and starts throwing comments, when no one especially me has made that statement. 

As for your answer to $399 question, it depend ons the iPhone being released, If it is 3s or 4 version, then forget it too old a spec and people will not feel there up to the times. If it is 4s or even 5 (after 7th generation iPhone has been launched), then I can see massive push in terms of revenue/profit in India. 

STOP using the word 'off-contract' there are no contract schemes in India, it is all unlocked phones as stated numerous times before. There maybe monthly EMIs, but you can still go to another mobile company and just pay off the phone, no actual call contract is available.

Does that answer your question and please read carefully, before blowing a nut or too.1smile.gif

• Reply 96 of 103

May want to check my comments, I said iPhone 4  was not acceptable, please link were I said and I will apologise.

I've never said anything about the iPhone 4 in that capacity, at least since the launch of the 5, so your claims that I did (from whenever they were) were unfounded.

As for your answer to $399 question, it depend ons the iPhone being released, If it is 3s or 4 version, then forget it too old a spec and people will not feel there up to the times.

At any rate: Like they care! They're paying $399; they'd better not expect the newest phone.

STOP using the word 'off-contract'…

Off-contract.

…there are no contract schemes in India…

That's WHY I use it.

• Reply 97 of 103

Quote:

I've never said anything about the iPhone 4 in that capacity, at least since the launch of the 5, so your claims that I did (from whenever they were) were unfounded.

At any rate: Like they care! They're paying $399; they'd better not expect the newest phone.

Off-contract.

That's WHY I use it.

No apology TS? you replied to old posts, I was showing as reference, but did not support your attacking comment about me stating "You said that an iPhone 4S for $300/$399 off-contract would be unacceptable"

It's ok not sure with concern to your reply, since I never stated you said anything about iPhone 4???  You are the one who make a false statement (see bold above) about me and I provided the reference, that I did not.

• Reply 98 of 103

No apology TS? 

You don't feel the need. *shrug* Also, for what?

It's ok not sure with concern to your reply, since I never stated you said anything about iPhone 4???

You couldn't have replied that the iPhone 4 was "not okay" unless someone had said it was. Is that really to big a step in logic? 

• Reply 99 of 103

Quote:

You don't feel the need. *shrug* Also, for what?

You couldn't have replied that the iPhone 4 was "not okay" unless someone had said it was. Is that really to big a step in logic? 

You start an argument about non-existent comments, I apparently made in Appleinsider and still have not linked the comments to support your outburst. Time for me to move on this is a waste of time.

Edit: As I said I can not be bullied that easily

• Reply 100 of 103

You start an argument about non-existent comments, I apparently made in Appleinsider and still have not linked the comments to support your outburst.

'Kay. I'll find 'em. You said the 4S wasn't acceptable and have since changed your tune. Don't go editing now.