Editorial: Anticipating WWDC 2013 under a cloud of Apple doubt

Comments

• Reply 21 of 203
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    analogjack wrote: »
    Like Einstein was 'lucky' no one else thought of making time and space relative. We'd be like, Einstein who?

This Einstein guy must have been quite powerful to be able to decide what way to make to time and space behave.
  • Reply 22 of 203
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

IMO Apple doesn't actually make great or fantastic software.  It makes "good enough" software that is actually kind of patchy in terms of quality and they never stand behind it either.  You can never tell if Apple really is serious about a software or service or whether it's just something that will disappear next year when the hardware and market priorities change.  You can't really *rely* on Apple's software.  

And I just thought you're talking about Google. Reader anyone?

Oh, and this's straight from my experience. If Apple software is just OK, I can't even begin to imagine about Microsoft's. 20 years using Word (on Windows) I was never be able to create a document that look really good like I did with Pages. It's just a breadth of fresh air really.

• Reply 23 of 203
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This Einstein guy must have bee quite powerful to be able to decide what way to make to time and space behave.

• Reply 24 of 203
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Despite what many people believe, and despite them sometimes describing themselves as a "software" company, Apple actually has a long history of "okay" or mediocre software.  I can't think of much they have made that really knocks it out of the park except for the base OS and the developer tools.  The actual user software Apple has made has been uniformly "meh" or has been bought from others.  

For instance iTunes is actually what made the iPod special in it's day and it's competitors had noticeably clunky alternatives, but Apple didn't make iTunes, they bought it from another developer.  What they've added to it over the years arguably makes it worse than it originally was.  iWork apps were created only to spite Office and the very second they got good enough to be viable alternatives all development practically ceased.  iWork was made to sell more hardware.  Apple isn't really interested in making a good suite of Office apps and they certainly aren't interested in making anything better.  They just need a "good enough" competitor and that's it. 

Quicktime probably comes closest to software that Apple made that is "stellar" but again, it was only made in response to Microsoft's attempt to dominate the media format wars, and has (again) dropped off in quality significantly now it isn't needed to sell hardware anymore. 

IMO Apple doesn't actually make great or fantastic software.  It makes "good enough" software that is actually kind of patchy in terms of quality and they never stand behind it either.  You can never tell if Apple really is serious about a software or service or whether it's just something that will disappear next year when the hardware and market priorities change.  You can't really *rely* on Apple's software.  

iOS is software, and it's amazing software. Apple's genius when it comes to software is making it easy to use and understand. I think you take that for granted, and I suspect you're a bit too geek, with your geek set of feature wants, to see how the average Apple customer sees it.
  • Reply 25 of 203
    souliisoul wrote: »

This link is broken.
  • Reply 26 of 203
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

This Einstein guy must have been quite powerful to be able to decide what way to make to time and space behave.

You misunderstand him. He said "making time and space relative." Nobody before Einstein thought these two are relative.

• Reply 27 of 203
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member

Quote:

This link is broken.

Not for me I opened 3 times, since this comment and it is ok. 

• Reply 28 of 203
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    ireland wrote: »
    Like Einstein was 'lucky' no one else thought of making time and space relative. We'd be like, Einstein who?

• Reply 29 of 203
    lemon bon bon.lemon bon bon. Posts: 2,173member
    "Apple has certainly been lucky over the past decade. Had it faced more focused, responsive competition..."

B******s.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 30 of 203
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Case in point: Apple's Maps. Last year, Apple's efforts to evict Google as the default maps provider in iOS 6 were castigated by the media for both perceived minor flaws and certain significant drawbacks. But Apple's Maps were a 1.0 effort, and the extent of its importance and performance is only obvious when you look at what Nokia and Google <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/22/googles-new-3d-maps-destroy-manhattan-in-the-wake-of-apples-flyover">have released</a> in the year since.

Ahh, yes...

Google's legendary maps prowess:

• Reply 31 of 203
    matrix07 wrote: »
    You misunderstand him. He said "making time and space relative." Nobody before Einstein thought these two are relative.

No. You misunderstood me.
  • Reply 32 of 203

The YouTube app opens on iPad and the video doesn't load. Take a look at the link, there's an edge case there.
  • Reply 33 of 203
    "Apple has certainly been lucky over the past decade. Had it faced more focused, responsive competition..."

B******s.

Lemon Bon Bon.

That was his version of sarcasm.
  • Reply 34 of 203

There. Fixed for all devices.

And btw, my comment was sarcasm, in case you missed that.
  • Reply 35 of 203
    fyngyrzfyngyrz Posts: 61member
    "Has Apple lost its magic?"

Let me put it to you this way. As a dev, and an owner of many IOS and OSX items, after multiple IOS "upgrades" failed to provide real folders, the ability to share data between apps (or really any other form of realistic synergy), a "finder" like tool, or even just the ability to have as many files as you want in a folder, not to mention the closed development process, "provisioning" and the other IOS dev hassles... and now, the hype is what? ... "flat icons." Good grief. Talk about a complete non-issue. Fluff. Irrelevant to anything and everything.

So I went out and bought a Droid. Perhaps Google will listen. Apple clearly doesn't.

I still make OSX apps, but IOS is pretty much dead to me as long as they keep limiting it to the most basic functionality. IOS could be so much more -- but it isn't.
  • Reply 36 of 203

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

1. Apple has certainly been lucky over the past decade. Had it faced more focused, responsive competition from Microsoft in the first half of the decade, the fledgling Mac OS X might not have gotten the exposure it needed to survive and the iPod might never have gotten big enough to be the success that helped fund the company's future developments.

And had Palm, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile and Nokia's Symbian not all degenerated into terrible products people had no love for just at the moment Apple was ready to release iPhone, the company's major success in entering the mobile market might never have happened.

And had Microsoft and its Tablet PC partners, led by Samsung, Dell and HP, not all collectively failed so miserably to capture the attention of consumers and professionals in the enterprise, it would be easy to imagine a world where Apple's iPad never had a chance to shine.

2. Apple's competitors certainly do have strengths that exceed those of last year's iPhone. Nokia has great camera technology, for example, but it is tethered to an oddball operating system that hasn't proven to be popular even in the enterprise where Microsoft should have some pull. And Samsung has been building ARM chips for years, but hasn't been able to maintain a real lead in performance over Apple, in part because it is straddled to Google's hobbyist Android platform.

1. Apple as "Lucky." I have to agree that Apple made their moves when the competition was as their combined worst. But then, maybe Apple picked their times to act. In retrospect, Apple's timing was the worst possible time for its competitors. However, it was also during a bad time for the economy which was sagging everywhere. Interestingly enough, it was during the Great Depression that many of today's well-known brands began their businesses. 

2. straddled... I'm sure you meant "saddled." 

• Reply 37 of 203
    stefstef Posts: 87member
    Ask yourself: Would you rather create a product of such excellence that one person would pay a million bucks for it or create a product so popular that a million people would pay one buck for it? Which do you think Apple prefers? And which Samsung?
  • Reply 38 of 203
    fyngyrz wrote: »
    "Has Apple lost its magic?"

Let me put it to you this way. As a dev, and an owner of many IOS and OSX items, after multiple IOS "upgrades" failed to provide real folders, the ability to share data between apps (or really any other form of realistic synergy), a "finder" like tool, or even just the ability to have as many files as you want in a folder, not to mention the closed development process, "provisioning" and the other IOS dev hassles... and now, the hype is what? ... "flat icons." Good grief. Talk about a complete non-issue. Fluff. Irrelevant to anything and everything.

So I went out and bought a Droid. Perhaps Google will listen. Apple clearly doesn't.

I still make OSX apps, but IOS is pretty much dead to me as long as they keep limiting it to the most basic functionality. IOS could be so much more -- but it isn't.

Your the textbook Android user. Enjoy Android. I'm serious. Apple makes stuff for regular people.
  • Reply 39 of 203
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Yes, he misunderstood, but not in that way. Time and space are 'relative' in relation to their formerly assumed absoluteness not to each other but individually to time and space respectively. On the other hand, 'spacetime' IS absolute.

Note: One of the many meanings of the word 'make' is: to name or appoint, which is the sense it was used. Einstein, 'made' the relativeness of time and space a condition of the framework within which we understand (or attempt to understand) the nature of reality.

• Reply 40 of 203
    Yes, he misunderstood, but not in that way. Time and space are 'relative' in relation to their formerly assumed absoluteness not to each other but individually to time and space respectively. On the other hand, 'spacetime' IS absolute.

Note: One of the many meanings of the word 'make' is: to name or appoint, which is the sense it was used. Einstein, 'made' the relativeness of time and space a condition of the framework within which we understand (or attempt to understand) the nature of reality.

Oh holy God it was a joke. It's all relative, dude.