Editorial: Anticipating WWDC 2013 under a cloud of Apple doubt

Comments

• Reply 61 of 203
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Just because Einstein and now string theory hasn't proved a unified field theory, doesn't mean there isn't one.

At what point do we admit that string theory is a religion....the hope for something that cannot be proven.

Hmmm I have a new theory.  Federal funding for String Theory is unconstitutional based on separation of church and state.

• Reply 62 of 203
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ash471 wrote: »
    I suppose I subscribe to Malcom Gladwell's assertion that there are many people that are just as capable as people like Steve Jobs and Einstein, but are not in the right place at the right time for the circumstances to elevate them to an "outlier".

I have to say I disagree. For both of them it was in the genes. It was them, not timing.
  • Reply 63 of 203
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ash471 wrote: »
    At what point do we admit that string theory is a religion....the hope for something that cannot be proven.
    Hmmm I have a new theory.  Federal funding for String Theory is unconstitutional based on separation of church and state.

I'm not saying string theory is the right solution.
  • Reply 64 of 203
    I agree that the "hobbiest" comment was not warranted or even realistic. Android has real strengths including: customization, geek appeal, and broad market penetration. I like Apple and believe they have really made some real strides in the market over the last decade, but they have not gotten the cloud or the web tamed in the same way they have devices. It is way too hard to get cloud back ups set up and working. Complexity has taken over and weakened the most basic appeal of Apple products: they just work. I would love to have options to change my keyboard app, or data exposed to me when I open up the phone, or shortcuts to change wireless settings, or a way to save my wireless settings in the cloud so I did not have to reinter them every time I got a new phone. I guess I am being somewhat unfair because I am asking Apple to let me customize more, and also make things work out of the box without as much fuss. Those two goals are certainly difficult to do at the same time, but you asked what I want and that is it.
  • Reply 65 of 203
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    . If every single Apple product WAS updated simultaneously, as they desire, at every single Apple event, they'd complain that Apple didn't update them enough

Or does it too much and 'obsoletes' things too fast
  • Reply 66 of 203
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    512ke wrote: »
    I hope a ray of sunshine evaporates your cloud of doubt revealing this editorial to be wildly wrong, disingenuous, and even foolish.

It's DED, he doesn't know how to be anything else
  • Reply 67 of 203
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I must admit that I enjoy these weekend editorial pieces considerably.

And the responses from the bot-boys can also be rather amusing.
  • Reply 68 of 203
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

the "investment community" is actually the speculator community looking for quick profits by gaming stocks. f*ck them. they add no value to the economic system. in fact, they're parasites.

• Reply 69 of 203
    Has anybody looked at the sales of Samsung washers and dryers since the 500 million Apple account holders have decided to not buy Samsung?
  • Reply 70 of 203
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

This graph never stops amazing me!

• Reply 71 of 203
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Induce Charging:
    I wish Apple would now do induce charging since we don't need to sync with a cable anymore. I would prefer to just install pad, hide cables and just put my device on them for charging.

Maps:
    Sure it was v1.0 and I like the fying over to make 3D maps because you can 3D everything while google street is limited by what you can see from the street. BUT, the problem is they removed google maps at the same time.

WWDC:
    The thing I would like to see the most is Apple TV software revamp and app store. So far I am pretty unexcited about new mac and new OS's, but this can changed depending on what they do.
  • Reply 72 of 203
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Duplicate...

The omments UI on this site really sucks... Even more so on an iPad!
  • Reply 73 of 203
    Duplicate...

• Reply 74 of 203
    Duplicate...

• Reply 75 of 203
    Has anybody looked at the sales of Samsung washers and dryers since the 500 million Apple account holders have decided to not buy Samsung?

Ha!

We recently purchased a washer and a dryer... Wouldn't even look at Sammy... We choose who we do business with -- like Google, Sammy has lost my trust (and business).

Later this year we will get a new non-Sammy refrigerator!
  • Reply 76 of 203
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharliePotatoes View Post

Apparently people were buying more than ever.  At least, in the high end, at the end of last year.  From their 4Q 2012 earnings release:

"Although demand for home appliances retreated in the December quarter due to a tepid global economy, Samsung saw increased sales of high-end refrigerators and washers in the U.S. and in European markets. "

• Reply 77 of 203
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Big f-ing deal.

Oh yeah.  Munster.  The guy who has been predicting an Apple-branded TV set for the past 3 or 4 years.

Someone please remind us all again why we should listen to Mr. Muster.  Or not.

And maybe it's time we downgraded Mr. Munster from "analyst" to "industry observer."

Or we can simply downgrade him to "annoying twerp".

• Reply 78 of 203
    juiljuil Posts: 75member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

"Has Apple lost its magic?"

Let me put it to you this way. As a dev, and an owner of many IOS and OSX items, after multiple IOS "upgrades" failed to provide real folders, the ability to share data between apps (or really any other form of realistic synergy), a "finder" like tool, or even just the ability to have as many files as you want in a folder, not to mention the closed development process, "provisioning" and the other IOS dev hassles... and now, the hype is what? ... "flat icons." Good grief. Talk about a complete non-issue. Fluff. Irrelevant to anything and everything.

So I went out and bought a Droid. Perhaps Google will listen. Apple clearly doesn't.

I still make OSX apps, but IOS is pretty much dead to me as long as they keep limiting it to the most basic functionality. IOS could be so much more -- but it isn't.

So if I get you correctly, you’re saying you know more than Apple what’s best in terms of development platform!? And you are saying they won’t listen to you on top of that!! I feel your pain buddy...

By the way, if you want to be taken even remotely seriously, I advise you to avoid complete falsehoods like "not to mention the closed development process".

• Reply 80 of 203
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quicktime probably comes closest to software that Apple made that is "stellar" but again, it was only made in response to Microsoft's attempt to dominate the media format wars, and has (again) dropped off in quality significantly now it isn't needed to sell hardware anymore. 

That's a whole lot of TL;DR but this line is particularly gagworthy.

QuickTime invented multimedia playback at a time when DOS PCs couldn't reliably play back audio.