Editorial: Anticipating WWDC 2013 under a cloud of Apple doubt

Comments

• Reply 81 of 203
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Step 1: Bring all the Mobile apps to the Desktop -- allow any/all iOS apps to rurn on the desktop -- Maps, Siri, Proloquo2go... whatever.

While it may not make sense for some apps, it does for about 80% of them.

It is good for Users, Developers, the Apple Halo, Apple and AAPL.

This blows away the competition:
    • Microsoft doesn't have the mobile apps to compete on the Windows 8 Desktop
    • Google doesn't really have a Desktop to run its mobile apps

This would be BRILLIANT if Apple can make it happen.

One other suggestion: Make iWork and iLife available for Windows. For a price.
  • Reply 82 of 203
    OSX is great but in terms of productivity, Apple has been left in the dust. iWork has the potential to be amazing, but Apple has neglected one of the most significant reasons why most people use computers - to get work done.
  • Reply 83 of 203
    dmfettdmfett Posts: 141member
    Why do you hate Apple so much...trying to make $$ selling Apple short in the market place?
  • Reply 84 of 203
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    fyngyrz wrote: »
    "Has Apple lost its magic?"

So I went out and bought a Droid. Perhaps Google will listen. Apple clearly doesn't.

I still make OSX apps, but IOS is pretty much dead to me as long as they keep limiting it to the most basic functionality. IOS could be so much more -- but it isn't.

Ok- you bought a droid- that's fine. But you are a moron for stopping development of iOS apps. You DO want to make money, right? Just because you don't use iOS doesn't mean you don't develop for it. It'd be insane not to.

Hence, why I think you're a troll.
  • Reply 85 of 203
    Daniels analysis is spot on.

Apple always develops in the shadows with products that in plain sight: see Nike Fuelband.

Apple is probably the most valuable R&D partner that a new,ground breaking company could have leading to an acquisition: see Liquidmetal. Material science- reinvented.

Apple has already cascaded unimagninable technological disruption with just simple, yet profound design of harmonized software and hardware design: see IPad transforming EHR use in healthcare.

Apple has reinvigorated computer science and engineering by creating the most efficient design, secure deployment, revenue fair applications program ecosystem in history: the App and Mac App Store.

Apple is supercharging silicon development ONCE AGAIN with its acquisition of PA Semiconductor and through its mastery of worldwide supply chain synchronization and procurement system and forking ARM microprocessor technology towards the development of the Apple A5, 5X and A6 processors now in products. Never forget PowerPC that brought the behemoths of Apple, IBM and Motorola. Probably should not forget that Apple and Motorola did create the 68000 series....

Apple learning about the domination of the living room through development and usage learning through its Apple TV project. Technophiles watch out, there are many set top boxes that are ready to suffocate the cable tv market. Just like the music industry before it, cable tv will need to learn that lack of innovation in having users sift through massive content will have subscribers leaving in droves from high cost and content suffocation. The economy will reward Apple as it will release a solution (possibly a product line franchise like the iPad) that will be the iPhone of TV- the everything to everyone solution with competitors surviving with copies of the technology.

Now, here's the scary part of what the Two Steves built...take a vision of how humans experience life and improve it through the intersection of technology and art. You now tap that creativity of luminaries like Jony Ive, Phil Schiller, Bob Mansfield, Eddie Cue, Tim Cook et. al. that can implement the scariest idea of all: merging all the aforementioned technologies as evolving threads into products we haven't possibly come close to imaging yet. Apple TV- done- just build it, iRadio- hold on folks, this will be as close to ESP as one can get (really calling it iESP would be magical). IWatch- the synchronous fusion of everything that Apple has been working on as a launchpoint into what we always expect of Apple- Everything.

The press initially panned the iPad. Now its paper world is being eaten away by the iPad and a cohort of shark hungry Android competitors as if they were chub.

Who would you believe??
  • Reply 86 of 203
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Despite what many people believe, and despite them sometimes describing themselves as a "software" company, Apple actually has a long history of "okay" or mediocre software.  I can't think of much they have made that really knocks it out of the park except for the base OS and the developer tools.  The actual user software Apple has made has been uniformly "meh" or has been bought from others.  

For instance iTunes is actually what made the iPod special in it's day and it's competitors had noticeably clunky alternatives, but Apple didn't make iTunes, they bought it from another developer.  What they've added to it over the years arguably makes it worse than it originally was.  iWork apps were created only to spite Office and the very second they got good enough to be viable alternatives all development practically ceased.  iWork was made to sell more hardware.  Apple isn't really interested in making a good suite of Office apps and they certainly aren't interested in making anything better.  They just need a "good enough" competitor and that's it. 

Quicktime probably comes closest to software that Apple made that is "stellar" but again, it was only made in response to Microsoft's attempt to dominate the media format wars, and has (again) dropped off in quality significantly now it isn't needed to sell hardware anymore. 

IMO Apple doesn't actually make great or fantastic software.  It makes "good enough" software that is actually kind of patchy in terms of quality and they never stand behind it either.  You can never tell if Apple really is serious about a software or service or whether it's just something that will disappear next year when the hardware and market priorities change.  You can't really *rely* on Apple's software.  

Uh, your entire post is pretty much horse-shit. Apple's entire success has largely been based on software, not hardware. If the software was shit it wouldnt have mattered how good the hardware was. OSX and iOS are both best in class, brilliant pieces of software that were both ahead of their times, and superior in many, many ways to competing offerings. You attempts to dismiss all of Apple's software using odd justifications is absurd at best. There are dozens and dozens of examples of Apple's software frameworks, paradigms, and concepts which consistently have been adopted by the rest of the computer industry, and moved things forward in a big way- from underlying technologies, to consumer apps like the ILife suite, to pro apps like aperture and final cut, to utilities like time machine, to iOS and its apps, Apple has consistently innovated both in the underlying technologies, and the forward facing UI and software features and have made previously complex tasks simple and intuitive, using extremely powerful software. If you consider Apple a "mediocre" software developer, I'm not sure what company on this planet you would consider to be more proficient, especially in such wide areas. 

• Reply 87 of 203
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    ash471 wrote: »
    I suppose I subscribe to Malcom Gladwell's assertion that there are many people that are just as capable as people like Steve Jobs and Einstein, but are not in the right place at the right time for the circumstances to elevate them to an "outlier".  Einstein was no doubt smart, but the reason he is the "gold standard" of genius is simply because society decided to make him that.  He's no smarter than millions of other people.

If only you were born in the right place at the right time. Then you could be that "gold standard" that you likely believe you are.

Seriously, it's obnoxious to see a guy spend so much effort trying to tear down a great mind who accomplished more than 10 of you ever will and give him a big "meh, he got lucky. Millions could have done the same thing". Except they didn't.
  • Reply 88 of 203
    andysol wrote: »
    Ok- you bought a droid- that's fine. But you are a moron for stopping development of iOS apps. You DO want to make money, right? Just because you don't use iOS doesn't mean you don't develop for it. It'd be insane not to.

Hence, why I think you're a troll.
    Don't waste time responding to this idiot - he's clearly a troll outed in the first thread he started flooding. He'll soon get the idea if people ignore him (or block).
  • Reply 89 of 203
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member
    Great article. Well thought out and even handed. Sorry Android lovers and pc lovers, facts are facts.

Apple is not planning on ruling the world, just making great products. :-)

To the people who want to be blown away each year,,,, I say sorry. Try inventing antigravity or teleportation.... Its easy to say..... so it must be easy to invent...... RIGHT???

I expect Apple to do the best it can, and I expect it to just work. Which is much more than I can say from most of the other hardware and software suppliers.

• Reply 90 of 203
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    eldernorm wrote: »
    Great article. Well thought out and even handed. Sorry Android lovers and pc lovers, facts are facts.

Apple is not planning on ruling the world, just making great products. :-)

To the people who want to be blown away each year,,,, I say sorry. Try inventing antigravity or teleportation.... Its easy to say..... so it must be easy to invent...... RIGHT???

I expect Apple to do the best it can, and I expect it to just work. Which is much more than I can say from most of the other hardware and software suppliers.

Anyone not "blown away" every year since 2001 isn't paying attention.
  • Reply 91 of 203
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

An editorial written to rile up the reader base and it appears to have worked.

"Has Apple lost it's magic?" is not the right question to be asking.  It's subjective and it suggests that if Apple has 'lost it's magic' that this will somehow hurt their business.  Apple is one of the most profitable businesses in the world and they're going to remain profitable for years to come with their current business model.

• Reply 92 of 203
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

There. Fixed for all devices.

And btw, my comment was sarcasm, in case you missed that.

Yes, I know you were being sarcastic. I just curious to understand how he did come up with E=Mc2 and posted the video.

• Reply 93 of 203
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daewalker View Post

OSX is great but in terms of productivity, Apple has been left in the dust. iWork has the potential to be amazing, but Apple has neglected one of the most significant reasons why most people use computers - to get work done.

Really what a waste of a comment, since majority of people work in corporate world and their companies force them to use windows products. Apple has been left in the dust, really, suppose being most successful IT company at present, is being left in the dust. Do you think Apple are worrying about Microsoft's market share in the corporate world, since Apple understand it will take time to change that scenario and our in no rush, BUT  I can tell you MS think every day how to catch up Apple because of the consumer market and how is that working for them.

• Reply 94 of 203

"People (Wall Street) are worthless idiots." Oh yes, oh yes!

When did these jumped-up fools invent anything of real value to society? Their role in 'inventing' the GFC should never, ever be forgotten.

• Reply 95 of 203
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    slurpy wrote: »

Uh, your entire post is pretty much horse-shit. Apple's entire success has largely been based on software, not hardware. If the software was shit it wouldnt have mattered how good the hardware was. OSX and iOS are both best in class, brilliant pieces of software that were both ahead of their times, and superior in many, many ways to competing offerings. You attempts to dismiss all of Apple's software using odd justifications is absurd at best. There are dozens and dozens of examples of Apple's software frameworks, paradigms, and concepts which consistently have been adopted by the rest of the computer industry, and moved things forward in a big way- from underlying technologies, to consumer apps like the ILife suite, to pro apps like aperture and final cut, to utilities like time machine, to iOS and its apps, Apple has consistently innovated both in the underlying technologies, and the forward facing UI and software features and have made previously complex tasks simple and intuitive, using extremely powerful software. If you consider Apple a "mediocre" software developer, I'm not sure what company on this planet you would consider to be more proficient, especially in such wide areas. 

Excellent post, excellent rebuttal.
  • Reply 96 of 203

Quote:

Originally Posted by daewalker View Post

I use a Mac at work, it does get work done.  Plus I don't need antivirus software running in real time taking resources away.  Now get back to work, flipping burgers kid. 

• Reply 97 of 203
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Step 1: Bring all the Mobile apps to the Desktop -- allow any/all iOS apps to rurn on the desktop -- Maps, Siri, Proloquo2go... whatever.

While it may not make sense for some apps, it does for about 80% of them.

It is good for Users, Developers, the Apple Halo, Apple and AAPL.

This blows away the competition:
    • Microsoft doesn't have the mobile apps to compete on the Windows 8 Desktop
    • Google doesn't really have a Desktop to run its mobile apps

This would be BRILLIANT if Apple can make it happen.

One other suggestion: Make iWork and iLife available for Windows. For a price.

The beauty of bringing iOS apps to the desktop, is that almost all of iOS apps already run on the OSX desktop via the iOS Simulator. Currently, some iOS features are not implemented and only one iOS app can be run at a time... But, I see no reason that these limitations could not be elegantly resolved.

The point of this is to make the bulk of your interaction with Apple Solutions as transparent and seamless as possible -- as with iOS, the device and the OS disappear. My data is already available everywhere I go -- why not my user experience?

Edit: Maybe all those colored squares on the WWDC banners represent iOS apps running on the OSX desktop... You activate (touch or click) one -- which brings it into the focus (the forefront) of your attention and interaction -- just like on the iPad... Resize the content and controls as desired... Activate another, rinse and repeat.

I totally agree with making iLife and iWork available on Windows and Linux desktops.
  • Reply 98 of 203
    Good article. :-)
  • Reply 99 of 203
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Apple has zero interest in expanding applications onto Windows and it should not waste resouces doing so. Apple has absolute interest in expanding applications on OS X and iOS.

Nothing is stopping 3rd party iOS apps from expanding onto OS X. That's up to third party devs.

• Reply 100 of 203
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Apple has zero interest in expanding applications onto Windows and it should not waste resouces doing so. Apple has absolute interest in expanding applications on OS X and iOS.

Nothing is stopping 3rd party iOS apps from expanding onto OS X. That's up to third party devs.

I disagre in that I think that Apple should make iLife and iWork apps available on Windows... For the exact reason that they made iTunes available on Windows -- it makes iDevices easier to sell -- and introduces the "Apple Way" to non-Apple users (the halo).

I assume that iLife and iWork would be actively enhanced and maintained... Lean and mean!

Scenario: Start creating your document, spreadsheet or preso with iWork instead of Office -- then access it seamlessly among your computers and mobile devices. It won't be acceptable for the "power" Office users... But for the millions of Moms, Dads, Kids and Grandparents... I/They don't want or need the Office bloat on any of their computers or iDevices.