Apple to stream WWDC 2013 keynote to Apple TV, official website

135

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 85
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,506member
    Expect a dive In AAPL tonight after WWDC .

    Normally, I would agree with you. But I am betting it's going to go the other way today. (At least, that is what my options position is hoping....)

    So... after rigorous analysis using your financial expertise... Yer goin' with yer Gut! ;)

    Me Too!
  • Reply 42 of 85
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 265member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    You can do it without breaking the speed limit. Buy a roll or sticky tape (unless you have a dash holder) and tape your iPad / phone to the dash. Now you can watch while driving. best of both worlds.... I think.



     


    If only EEs wonderful 3G network was that good around here to even attempt that.... although I reckon I'd probably be in less trouble if stopped for doing 75mph in a 70mph speed limit than I would if stopped for watching a video while driving :)


     


    The first 5 minutes or so are normally just Tim reviewing the stellar, magic and incredible sales figures and app store growth numbers since the last event, so I'm hopeful I won't miss any of the good stuff even if I don't quite make it home for 6.

  • Reply 43 of 85
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,221member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post





    Normally, I would agree with you. But I am betting it's going to go the other way today. (At least, that is what my options position is hoping....)


     


    We didnt had any kind of rally going into the event. In fact we got a selloff.  imo you are right, expectations are low. Normally we go into this event with a lot more rumors and expectations, so the stock rally before and tank after. This year, we go into this with nothing but the obvious. Apple has the ball now, it needs to surprise on something for a rally.

  • Reply 44 of 85
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MacHarry de View Post



    Haha. Everybody without Apple TV, buy one. Haha


     


    Except most people will actually have jobs and be at work at 10:00 on a Monday, so the whole Apple TV thing isn't really that helpful.  

  • Reply 45 of 85
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,221member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post





    Nope dive sounds right. If they don't announce eveythng from the rumors then there was a 'delay' and that'll be seen as bad.



    If they do, then at least one thing was a stupid move (copying MS etc). Bad



    If they don't announce something that wasn't in the rumors then they failed in their secrecy claims. Bad.


     


    Normal pattern, but like I said, what are the rumors this year?  MBA and maybe iRadio.   Both are very probable. Normally we have a lot more rumors than this, so disappointing is less likely.

  • Reply 46 of 85
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,215member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post



    I think myself and most people are expecting way too much out of apple today. iOS and OSX could literally be all that's announced.



    But here we are with people thinking we'll get Apple TV iOS, MacBook pros, airs, iMacs, minis, Mac pros, airports, redesigned iPad and an outside shot of a retina mini. Some even think there's a a potential Apple TV upgrade or iWatch.

     


     


    Not me. I expect iOS and OSX. Perhaps a mention of the Apple TV software but not perhaps hardware at this point. 


     


    But yeah, it seems like the tech bloggers etc are expecting two hours of non stop new everything. Just like they do every year

  • Reply 47 of 85
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post





    No AppleTVs at the office or the local TechPubs?


     


    AppleTV doesn't really "work" at work, and ... "TechPubs?" ... some Southern California nonsense I'm sure.  


     


    The rich, the idle, the retired and the jobless will all watch it on AppleTV.  


    The rest of us are better off with Engadget or the Verge


     


    Apologies for mentioning the competing tech sites, but let's be realistic ...they both do WWDC coverage a million times better than AppleInsider.  

  • Reply 48 of 85
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post





    Normally, I would agree with you. But I am betting it's going to go the other way today. (At least, that is what my options position is hoping....)


     


    Stocks, traditionally and historically always "drop on news," irrespective of whether the news is good or bad.  

  • Reply 49 of 85
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 19,102member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post



    Nope dive sounds right. If they don't announce eveythng from the rumors then there was a 'delay' and that'll be seen as bad.



    If they do, then at least one thing was a stupid move (copying MS etc). Bad



    If they don't announce something that wasn't in the rumors then they failed in their secrecy claims. Bad.


    In which case, I can always hope for an increase in expected volatility..... (which is always a good thing for long options). image

  • Reply 50 of 85
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 19,102member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post


    Apple is up on the rumors 20 minutes into the trading day... my guess it will dive this afternoon....


     


    and then... trickle up the rest of the month.   last year it dropped 1% WWDC week, then went up 5% the next month.


     


    Same for the 2011.


     


    Same for 2010


     


    Same for 2009.  For those whose long term memory is faltering Apple was at 144 June 5, 136 June 12 (WWDC keynote June 7), By the end of July it was 163 (+20% in 6 weeks).



    I am probably in good shape if you're right. My options expire on August 17.

  • Reply 51 of 85
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 19,102member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    Stocks, traditionally and historically always "drop on news," irrespective of whether the news is good or bad.  



    You really should look at the data more carefully, and not just parrot jaded Wall Street sayings.

  • Reply 52 of 85
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post


    If they go flat they better come out with something great, like NOT making everything flat. ...



     


    Don't worry about it.  They know what they are doing.  


     


    In any case, the only truly "flat" OS's out there are CLI interfaces like DOS and Unix.


     


    All modern computer user interfaces (even Windows Phone), use depth and layering whether or not they include the drop shadows or not.  Even typing on the iOS keyboard (which is currently one of the flatter parts of iOS) is "3D."  


     


    In this case, when they are talking about "flat" they just mean less shading, (and probably no highlights).  Sort of "less obviously 3D," rather than removing all the non-flat elements.  

  • Reply 53 of 85
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,506member
    Store is down!
  • Reply 54 of 85
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    You really should look at the data more carefully, and not just parrot jaded Wall Street sayings.



     


    I did say "historically" and "traditionally," and it is a good rule of thumb quoted to me by many people over the years who are into stocks.  


     


    IMO Wall Street and the stock market is basically "rigged" anyway and certainly not reflective of anything rational, or even of the capitalist ideology it claims to be an expression of.  So it really isn't worth "getting into the data" in a rigged and broken game because nothing can really come of it.  


     


    Money is made in the stock market in only two ways:  


     


    - luck


    - inside knowledge. 


     


    All that other stuff that people do with the "calculations" and the money making software is just theatre and nonsense.  It's guesswork (or inside knowledge) dressed up as "research."

  • Reply 55 of 85
    Why nobody has answer me yet? I asked if i can watch it in my PS3? I have an iPhone but it will be cool to watch it in my 48inch 1080p TV.
  • Reply 56 of 85
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Apple store is down so we're getting some new hardware for sure. It's not unrealistic to think we'll get some new laptops with Haswell, along with accessories like AirPort Extreme.
  • Reply 57 of 85
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 267member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by maclancer View Post



    Why nobody has answer me yet? I asked if i can watch it in my PS3? I have an iPhone but it will be cool to watch it in my 48inch 1080p TV.


    No you can't, It says right on the Apple site.  Safari on OSX, Safari on iOS, or Apple TV.

  • Reply 58 of 85
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 19,102member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    I did say "historically" and "traditionally," and it is a good rule of thumb quoted to me by many people over the years who are into stocks.  


     


    IMO Wall Street and the stock market is basically "rigged" anyway and certainly not reflective of anything rational, or even of the capitalist ideology it claims to be an expression of.  So it really isn't worth "getting into the data" in a rigged and broken game because nothing can really come of it.  


     


    Money is made in the stock market in only two ways:  


     


    - luck


    - inside knowledge. 


     


    All that other stuff that people do with the "calculations" and the money making software is just theatre and nonsense.  It's guesswork (or inside knowledge) dressed up as "research."



    Each to his own.... I hope you're consistent, and stay out of the market.

  • Reply 59 of 85
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,506member
    I was concerned that this "Live Streaming" of the event would be disruptive... to the establishment... of "LiveBloggers" of Apple Events...

    Not to worry! I just tested my dual-display iMac -- and I can display the "stream" full-screen one display, and the blog windows on the other...

    Best of both worlds -- watching others' reactions while forming my own!
  • Reply 60 of 85
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Each to his own.... I hope you're consistent, and stay out of the market.



     


    Well, since I essentially just said "the market is for chumps and scam artists" and I never say anything I don't believe wholeheartedly ... yeah, I fully intend to.  image


     


    On another note:  has anyone seen this?


     


    Good gravy! If this is what iOS 7 looks like we are in for some dark times ....  


     


    Hideous!

Sign In or Register to comment.